September 20, 2024, 08:27:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can you guess the problem ?

Started by FDT, March 02, 2018, 02:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FDT

I had a 09 FXD that i have been doing some work to for a customer, it has a 106 and a is running a set of SE 511 cams, V&H short shots. About 12 months ago he decided he wanted a bit more grunt so i raised the compression, done some porting, new AV&V guides and sent the head out to have the seats cut to fit 1.9 inlets, 030 head gaskets ccp around 195 (manual comp releases) all good after a tune we gained around 20hp he was happy. Then a couple of months ago he thought he had lost a bit of power so i run it back on the dyno and it has lost about 6hp, do a test and found front cylinder down on compression, pulled the head and found the inlet seat breaking away along the edges, no problem this time i am able to replace it with an oversize seat and re cut with my mill (.0003 runout ) put it all back together, power is back up to where it was, customer is happy again. A couple of weeks ago he gets in touch and says it has lost power again but this time is using oil and running like crap.He brings it to me and i see it puff out smoke from the front exhaust when i chop the throttle. Start to pull down again and when i removed the TB i see lots of oil in both the inlet ports, pull both heads and this is what i see. :wtf:

FDT

FDT

tmwmoose

A leak down test would have narrowed it down for you least which cylinder or both

FDT

Quote from: tmwmoose on March 02, 2018, 02:48:04 PM
A leak down test would have narrowed it down for you least which cylinder or both
A leak down test would not have picked up what the problem actually was. Only front cylinder was blowing smoke on decel. But both plugs were oily.

FDT

doubletrouble

Between the chop of the throttle smoke and the decell smoke - those two descriptions would have me looking hard at the intake guide and or seal - and or seat and or cracked head. You asked for a guess.

FDT

Quote from: doubletrouble on March 02, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
Between the chop of the throttle smoke and the decell smoke - those two descriptions would have me looking hard at the intake guide and or seal - and or seat and or cracked head. You asked for a guess.
I was thinking the same considering it had new guides and seat installed, but they were both fine. I did use the AV&V valve seals as i have had issues with OEM seals leaking before.

Trouble

Problem with the breather system/umbrella valves?
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

FDT

Quote from: Trouble on March 02, 2018, 04:55:41 PM
Problem with the breather system/umbrella valves?
Nope everything fine there.

FSG

K4FXD

Hard to tell from a picture, but there looks to be a large gap between piston and cylinder wall. Wrong size piston? Bad hone job? Bad rod bearing, causing wear in the cylinder.

Thats a lot of oil, if the pic is an optical illusion it has to be in the head.

Had a bad seat, probably has a bad guide also.

My guesses
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

FDT

Quote from: FSG on March 02, 2018, 05:13:03 PM
What do the rings look like?

Compression was around 190ccp on both cylinders.

FDT

Quote from: K4FXD on March 02, 2018, 05:16:07 PM
Hard to tell from a picture, but there looks to be a large gap between piston and cylinder wall. Wrong size piston? Bad hone job? Bad rod bearing, causing wear in the cylinder.

Thats a lot of oil, if the pic is an optical illusion it has to be in the head.

Had a bad seat, probably has a bad guide also.

My guesses
Nope piston skirt to bore around .0015, it does need a hone now though, this top end only had around 10,000 kms since the 106 kit was installed (not by me)
New guides and seals previously, there was not build up on the back off the valves they looked pretty clean.

K4FXD

Compression release letting oil in the cylinder?

Thermodyne

Looks like it's pushing oil out the breather to me.  But I don't think that the root issue.  If it lost compression, it's prolly the rings.  As in been a little warm and lost some tension.

But oil puddles first. 

Are the breather ports still plumbed to the face of the throttle body?  If so, I would address that and open up the drains.    And if the breathers were reused last time, I would replace them with the new style this time.  Be sure to use the correct gasket under the breather stack, I see a lot of them where the old style cover gasket was used under the breather stack.  Might as well not have a breather valve when the wrong gasket is used. 

Then I'd pull a jug so I could see exactly what the rings were doing.  Just a little extra crank case pressure can over tax the breather system. 

If the pistons are black to the second ring, it'll need rings and the jugs should be jigged up and checked.  If they pass that just scuff em with a ball hone and re-ring it.  I don't like the look of that cylinder wall in the photo where the piston is down.  Way too glossy, but it might just be the photo.  If those pistons are leaking bad to the second ring, and the fit on the rings was good, or the jugs are no longer round, you'll need to have a talk with the guy about cylinder heat, and how to manage it. 

FDT

Quote from: Thermodyne on March 02, 2018, 06:01:20 PM
Looks like it's pushing oil out the breather to me.  But I don't think that the root issue.  If it lost compression, it's prolly the rings.  As in been a little warm and lost some tension.

But oil puddles first. 

Are the breather ports still plumbed to the face of the throttle body?  If so, I would address that and open up the drains.    And if the breathers were reused last time, I would replace them with the new style this time.  Be sure to use the correct gasket under the breather stack, I see a lot of them where the old style cover gasket was used under the breather stack.  Might as well not have a breather valve when the wrong gasket is used. 

Then I'd pull a jug so I could see exactly what the rings were doing.  Just a little extra crank case pressure can over tax the breather system. 

If the pistons are black to the second ring, it'll need rings and the jugs should be jigged up and checked.  If they pass that just scuff em with a ball hone and re-ring it.  I don't like the look of that cylinder wall in the photo where the piston is down.  Way too glossy, but it might just be the photo.  If those pistons are leaking bad to the second ring, and the fit on the rings was good, or the jugs are no longer round, you'll need to have a talk with the guy about cylinder heat, and how to manage it. 

Breathers are working fine and the drains had been opened up, i have already found the problem which i will post a pic of, i was just curious to see if anyone could pick the problem from the pictures posted, 1 of the pics should have given it away.

FDT

K4FXD

harley_cruiser

I bet the turbocharger blew a seal.
Opps, wrong thread, subscribed.

harley_cruiser

Do I get a second guess, no oil ring on the oil down tubes.
Edit, .03 metal, and that would not put it in the intake, so never mind.

hdbikedoc

looks like no return from head were the returns plugged
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

kd

I don't like the way that head gasket looks around the oil gallery in the first pic of the barrels. I would like to know what the "real" cams are (SE 511 ??) and check their timing to see if they could carry over to the other cylinder with the overlap.
KD

FDT

Quote from: kd on March 02, 2018, 07:13:40 PM
I don't like the way that head gasket looks around the oil gallery in the first pic of the barrels. I would like to know what the "real" cams are (SE 511 ??) and check their timing to see if they could carry over to the other cylinder with the overlap.
Sorry typo SE211, head gaskets were fine.

kd

KD