September 20, 2024, 08:25:04 PM

News:

Oil drops from the breather

Started by truck, November 04, 2008, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksnod and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

truck

2001/65,000 miles with the breather being a hose going to the ground.
Lately when I park the bike in the garage I notice an oil spot right below the filter on the hose on the floor.
Is it time for new umbrella valves?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

rihdrkc

I did mine at around 50000 miles. Not hard to do. It did help a lot, though I do occasionally get a drop or two out the hose. 79000 miles on motor now.

road-dawgs1

Should change out the breathers to the newer metal style anyway
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

truck

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on November 04, 2008, 07:05:52 PM

What is this all about?

Mike52

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on November 04, 2008, 07:05:52 PM

A 2001 model will already have the metal breathers.

I would remove the filter on the end of the breather tube. The only thing the filter is good for is to let oil accumulate, when enough oil fills the filter, you will get the drip you're talking about. There is no way in hell I would go inside my engine simply because of an oil drip out the breather hose, I don't care how many miles are on it.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

truck

I'll remove the filter but it will be spring till I can tell if it made a difference because I am not riding that much anymore because of coldness and deer and leaves etc.

road-dawgs1

I thought they started the metal breathers in 02?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

02roadcling

my 02 had warped plastic breathers. got the heavy metal now
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Clintster

My 02 had the junk plastic breathers.  With the little quick disconnect, not a big deal to remove the tank on my RK.  Every other year I like to go in and take a look at the rockers and supports.                                 crg
Drive fast, take chances

RainDodger

I don't get the whole filter thing, but that's just me. It's a breather tube - that's what it's for - a drop of oil once in a while is not a big deal I don't think. I've had a hose vented to the ground on my '05 since it was new. Occasionally there will be one drop on the concrete. I wipe it up and move on. Someday if there's a big goober on there I'll probably get a bigger rag and ride on.

Mike52

Quote from: RainDodger on November 05, 2008, 07:36:02 AM
I don't get the whole filter thing, but that's just me. It's a breather tube - that's what it's for - a drop of oil once in a while is not a big deal I don't think. I've had a hose vented to the ground on my '05 since it was new. Occasionally there will be one drop on the concrete. I wipe it up and move on. Someday if there's a big goober on there I'll probably get a bigger rag and ride on.

RainDodger, I agree, there is absolutely no use for a filter at the end of the breather tube, except to accumulate oil. It's a breather tube, let it breathe, nothing gets sucked back in either. I also don't understand why anyone would want the 'catch can' as shown above, another place for oil to collect, totally overkill, those are usually for race bikes that require them per rules. JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

jmorton10

Quote from: Mike52 on November 05, 2008, 09:03:07 AM
Quote from: RainDodger on November 05, 2008, 07:36:02 AMI also don't understand why anyone would want the 'catch can' as shown above, another place for oil to collect, totally overkill, those are usually for race bikes that require them per rules. JMO

I agree.  I had a homemade version on my drag bike for years, but only because the tracks required it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

Quote from: Ricinflorida on November 05, 2008, 01:54:27 AM
if a drop of oil really bothers you (I'm thinkin you never had a Shovelhead <grin>) the link below might be cure it

No kidding.  I remember around 1970 or so, an old dude who had been a Harley wrench for something like 40 years or so telling a customer in a chopper shop that I was 1/2 owner in at the time  "you worry about it when they STOP dripping, it means you're out of oil....."

My how times change....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Sonny S.

truck

I put a filter on the end of the tube because Samuel suggested it. RIP Samuel.

The reason I'm concerned  is because the drips are increasing in frequency.

Mike52

Quote from: trück on November 05, 2008, 04:04:25 PMThe reason I'm concerned  is because the drips are increasing in frequency.

truck, I'll bet the reason is, the filter has become saturated with oil, it can't hold anymore. Do this as a simple test..........remove the filter completely, spray a little brake or carb cleaner up into the end of the breather tube to clean out any oil build-up in the end of it, run your bike for a couple of weeks or months, see how much oil drips onto the floor now. Another bet, it won't be much at all.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

truck

GoFast.....

Quote from: trück on November 05, 2008, 04:30:02 PM
I'll give it a try!

Just keep driving it like you stoled it until it falls apart ,then fix it
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Mike52

Quote from: trück on November 05, 2008, 04:30:02 PM
I'll give it a try!

It's a simple, no cost test, sure beats taking the top end apart to check umbrella valves as originally thought.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net