September 20, 2024, 08:20:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TWO PCs FOR DYNO TUNING, ONE KEYBOARD

Started by wurk_truk, February 10, 2013, 09:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wurk_truk

February 10, 2013, 09:55:43 PM Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:00:10 PM by wurk_truk
I just downloaded a new little free program from Microsoft called "Mouse Without Borders".

Once set up, I can control multiple PCs with one keyboard and one mouse.  Works really well.

I'm thinking of using two PCs and two monitors (one each per PC), for tuning.  In this way... one does not need to have WinPep on top all the time and I can control both PCs with no problems.

Just slide the mouse back and forth and it works seamlessly.

I just wrote this using two different PCs.  Springer gave me the idea of two PCs and this little program had just came out.  It's worth a try to whomever uses two PCs for tuning.
Oh No!

Powerglides

Truk, I use a Superflow, and only have basic computer knowledge, so what I do may or may not be relevant to your scenario. The Superflow is controlled by it's own hand held controller via the sensor box. However, it still needs a PC to record and save the information generated, as well as using a monitor to display it's chosen functions.
I've never used a Dynojet, but I assume that the dyno is controlled using the PC. Windows supports two monitors (I use XP), and with Direct Link I have the tuning tables open, and the data logging software running simultaneously, as well as the Superflow software. So I use one keyboard, one PC, and two monitors. I can open whatever "Window" I wish, and just rolling the cursor over them with the mouse allows me to work in that window whilst everything else is still active. The PC that I had built obviously has quite a few ports on it.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Boz

Ohio HD

Quote from: Powerglides on February 11, 2013, 03:13:06 AM
Truk, I use a Superflow, and only have basic computer knowledge, so what I do may or may not be relevant to your scenario. The Superflow is controlled by it's own hand held controller via the sensor box. However, it still needs a PC to record and save the information generated, as well as using a monitor to display it's chosen functions.
I've never used a Dynojet, but I assume that the dyno is controlled using the PC. Windows supports two monitors (I use XP), and with Direct Link I have the tuning tables open, and the data logging software running simultaneously, as well as the Superflow software. So I use one keyboard, one PC, and two monitors. I can open whatever "Window" I wish, and just rolling the cursor over them with the mouse allows me to work in that window whilst everything else is still active. The PC that I had built obviously has quite a few ports on it.

That's what our CAD designers do in the plants. They keep Pro Engineer open on one monitor, and then have their other monitor available for email, internet, etc, etc. Works very well. I think it was Windows 2000 when Microsoft started dual monitor support, just like when I mount a 7" monitor on the bike when v-tuning, the laptop displays two separate monitors, the primary laptop screen and the 7" on a mirror mount, on the bike.

Definitely not a dyno though....   :embarrassed:

hrdtail78

Not a bad idea at all.  I use 2 monitors on one computer but still run into problems when I am running 3 programs.

Problems come into play with port setup.  I'll run my winpep, and TTS, vision or SESPT on one.  I use another computer for logviewer or DTT.  If I run all three on one.  I'm always picking com ports between the use of one or the other.  I'm waiting on my dual proc, dual core, dual power supply one somebody is building for me.

Thanks for the program.
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

February 11, 2013, 08:22:49 AM #4 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:07:34 PM by joe_lyons50023
At the previous dealership I was at we got a new asus computer custom built with many serial and usb ports and a huge processor and big ram and a dual monitor output and two 20" screens mounted to a bracket from the ceiling about 3 feet from my face.  That setup worked great could run tons of programs at once with no problems.  I miss that dyno room.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Merc63

No need to have two computers.

Get a graphics card with two or three outputs and have 2 or 3 monitors up off one system.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

wurk_truk

February 11, 2013, 08:26:14 PM #6 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:30:29 PM by wurk_truk
It's not so much the need for two PCs.  The processing power these days are really great.

I have ran two monitors on my desktop for many years...  way before it became popular.

My concern is with how software is written.  For example, while doing pulls with the dyno, the dyno app HAS to be on top.  If not, the shortcut keys, etc do not work.  For reasons like this, I have decided to go with two PCs and two monitors.  I will NOT have port conflicts, or worry about what program needs to be on top or running or whatever.  I think this will make my life easier with coordinating all the different tuning products out there.  No more clicking to make WinPep on top while playing with a tuner.

I see that Dell has a deal going for a two monitor set up with two 23" monitors that mount to a desktop pole.  I will adapt that and will be good to go, I figure.

Already, while back in the days of street tuning with top tuning products, I have gotten port conflicts, etc when trying to run too many things on one PC.  This will be MY way around this.  It is NOT that I don't think I have enough power in my PC, its a almost new Dell XPS with an I7 chipest and like 16gb of ram.  It's the ports, and the software conflicts.

I will just stack two laptops with serial ports (Win 7s) and use one keyboard/mouse and dual monitors.

Plus, that little free program works really well.  It works using the network itself.  There is a master and numerous slaves available.  I'm fairly certain that I am not alone in this and wished to pass on this new program to folks that may wish to give it a try.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

Ummm....  I'm thinking ahead a little bit.  Live tuning may return and this will be VERY useful when (if) that happens.
Oh No!

Merc63

Try running VMware.

You can run multiple operating systems from one computer simultaneously.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

BVHOG

February 12, 2013, 06:21:27 AM #8 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:34:01 AM by BVHOG
Going to be changing some stuff around here very soon, I installed a 40 inch tv screen directly in front of the dyno to be used for both tv and a computer screen. I have previously been using a dual monitor setup for the dyno screen and data logging programs, then using a laptop for the tuner software. With the use of mytune I need to combine both the data logging and tuner software into one pc and don't want to run it on the same one as the dynojet software. I will be using a laptop with a docking station for that and using the TV screen for a monitor.
Truk, just be damn careful you use only the most expensive stuff and pass the cost on to your customers, wouldn't want anyone calling your setup a "broken down old POS"
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

wurk_truk

HAHA! Only the BEST Bob!!!  I'm LIKING my broke down old dyno, BTW!

In a reply to Merc, even if I would use two operating systems, they would have to share the same PCIe slots for the serial ports.  Like Bob, and others, we feel a two PC set up runs better, or at least I do.  Like Bob, I also have a couple Macros to run while running the dyno, etc.  WIth Mouse Without Borders, this allows those of us with a two or even three pC set up to use one keyboard and mouse.
Oh No!

UltraNutZ

3 monitors and a TV connected to my PC.  there is no place in this world anymore for a single monitor on a PC.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/118rr2h9oxewkm6/2013-02-12_09-15-37_469.jpg

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

UltraNutZ

Quote from: BVHOG on February 12, 2013, 06:21:27 AM
Going to be changing some stuff around here very soon, I installed a 40 inch tv screen directly in front of the dyno to be used for both tv and a computer screen. I have previously been using a dual monitor setup for the dyno screen and data logging programs, then using a laptop for the tuner software. With the use of mytune I need to combine both the data logging and tuner software into one pc and don't want to run it on the same one as the dynojet software. I will be using a laptop with a docking station for that and using the TV screen for a monitor.
Truk, just be damn careful you use only the most expensive stuff and pass the cost on to your customers, wouldn't want anyone calling your setup a "broken down old POS"

BVHOG, is the reason for the 46" TV because too much time on the dyno has shaken your corneas around a little bit?  :-)  J/K  I'd be impressed if I walked into a dyno room and saw a 46" TV hanging on the wall displaying my bike's info.  Course I'd be impressed if I found a tuner around here worth a "Potty mouth" too..

strokerjlk

I have used dual monitors , USB  hubs etc .
I use three diff computers now just to save time with comm port issues.
To each their own , no one way is the only way.
I am limited time wise each day. So with two computers that are capable of running all my tuning software, I am able to switch to the other one if something goes south.
I have three  old back up computers just for running the dyno. It dosent take much to run the dyno alone.
I don't have patience for computer issues when I am tuneing. It just waste valuable time .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

UltraNutZ

Quote from: strokerjlk on February 12, 2013, 07:37:32 AM
I have used dual monitors , USB  hubs etc .
I use three diff computers now just to save time with comm port issues.
To each their own , no one way is the only way.
I am limited time wise each day. So with two computers that are capable of running all my tuning software, I am able to switch to the other one if something goes south.
I have three  old back up computers just for running the dyno. It dosent take much to run the dyno alone.
I don't have patience for computer issues when I am tuneing. It just waste valuable time .
Smart Man!

BVHOG

Ended up hanging two TV's in front of the dyno and just did the first tune with both up there, makes things so much easier to read but I now have two keyboards and mice, does anyone have any experience with the KVM switches?

FSG

I've used switches similar to KVM where we controlled 2/4/6/8 PC's with the one switch, keyboard and mouse, but these days and for what your wanting to do I'd seriously look at Mouse Without Borders as mentioned by wurk_truk.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: FSG on March 18, 2013, 03:01:47 PM
I've used switches similar to KVM where we controlled 2/4/6/8 PC's with the one switch, keyboard and mouse, but these days and for what your wanting to do I'd seriously look at Mouse Without Borders as mentioned by wurk_truk.

26 year IT guy here and I highly recommend the Mouse Without Borders also.

BVHOG

Thanks guys, what does it entail for hookup, just a wireless network?

FSG