September 20, 2024, 08:19:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Start 2-3 times

Started by xdragracer, June 21, 2014, 07:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdragracer

I am having a hell of a time getting my bike to start and stay running the first time. It always dies {cold} on the first start. Have to hit the started again.
I have tried to add the IAC Steps, Warmup Enrichment and other settings related to cold starting. Starts good when warm.
It has done this since Day 1 when i bought the bike, Even when the SERT was in it. I now have TTS Master Tune. No {02 Sensors}
Any help would be GREAT !
Other than starting, The bike runs Great. 45 mpg.
Scott
2015 RGS

mayor

please post your calibration. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

BVHOG

try adding some cranking fuel
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

1931jamesw

Are you having this problem while trying to record data? If so, are you hitting the start button to start recording before you are starting the bike? If so, dont hit the start button until after the bike is started. Some bikes dont like having the start button pushed on the data recording before they are running others dont care. No rhyme or reason why some and some dont, its just the way it is.

xdragracer

Quote from: mayor on June 22, 2014, 04:52:57 AM
Installed  BMJ 141-03 Calibration
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Quote from: xdragracer on June 23, 2014, 06:23:06 AM
Quote from: mayor on June 22, 2014, 04:52:57 AM
Installed  BMJ 141-03 Calibration
Not recording. Just starting the engine.
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Scott
2015 RGS

Ajayrk

Have you tested the crank position sensor?
AJ

xdragracer

Quote from: Ajayrk on June 23, 2014, 06:29:04 AM
No ,I have not ! How do I test it ?
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Quote from: Ajayrk on June 23, 2014, 06:29:04 AM
No ,I have not ! How do I test it ?
Scott
2015 RGS

HD/Wrench

Since you have made the other changes it could be a internal loss of fuel pressure.  Check for fuel pressure and see if it holds. If no way to do that,.. You can pop the fuel door ( do not put face over hole) Run switch off ign on now listen when you turn run switch on. You will hear pump run then stop , if you hear the odd gurgling noise or a hissing noise after pump shuts off then there is a leak inside ( most common line).

1FSTRK

The first thing I would try is restoring the factory map and see if it fixes the problem. This will tell you if it is hardware or software.
If that works do a data recording of a couple start ups with the stock maps and compare the data to the settings in the map you are trying to use.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

xdragracer

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on June 24, 2014, 12:30:32 PM
Since you have made the other changes it could be a internal loss of fuel pressure.  Check for fuel pressure and see if it holds. If no way to do that,.. You can pop the fuel door ( do not put face over hole) Run switch off ign on now listen when you turn run switch on. You will hear pump run then stop , if you hear the odd gurgling noise or a hissing noise after pump shuts off then there is a leak inside ( most common line).
I can hear hissing after the fuel pump shuts off. And sounds like dripping. I don't have a pressure gage unless I buy one.
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 24, 2014, 02:58:36 PM
The first thing I would try is restoring the factory map and see if it fixes the problem. This will tell you if it is hardware or software.
If that works do a data recording of a couple start ups with the stock maps and compare the data to the settings in the map you are trying to use.
The bike has done this since day one when I bought it. Before mods were done. It had a SERT  w/ stage 1 . I have tried different calibrations also , have two hit the starter twice on cold start.
Scott
2015 RGS

Ajayrk

Test KPS:  Unplug the sensor from the harness, connect the a volt meter to the terminals coming from the sensor.  While cranking the engine you should get 5V ac.  Any less and there will be problems.
AJ

hrdtail78

Quote from: xdragracer on June 23, 2014, 06:28:33 AM
Quote from: BVHOG on June 22, 2014, 07:55:55 PM
Tried that added10%,20%.

Put back in the 20% and do the same in IAC crank steps in the tuning constants.  Bike should flare to 2000 but will take fuel and some hardware problems.  It will also mask a slight intake leak that seals up with engine temp.
Semper Fi

xdragracer

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 24, 2014, 06:53:05 PM
Tried that added10%,20%.

Put back in the 20% and do the same in IAC crank steps in the tuning constants.  Bike should flare to 2000 but will take fuel and some hardware problems.  It will also mask a slight intake leak that seals up with engine temp.
Yes , I have tried that
Thanks
Scott
2015 RGS

HD/Wrench

so pump runs shuts off and and you can hear bubbling , spraying sound in the tank?

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: xdragracer on June 24, 2014, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 24, 2014, 02:58:36 PM
The bike has done this since day one when I bought it. Before mods were done. It had a SERT  w/ stage 1 . I have tried different calibrations also , have two hit the starter twice on cold start.
They can come new out of the box with leaking fuel connections. Do a fuel pressure test and it will likely confirm it. Throwing a bunch of abnormal fuel settings at it isn't the right way to do it if the route cause is mechanical. I suspect it's bleeding pressure between the time the pump stops and the time you wait for the lights to go out. You could try to hit the starter button as soon as you turn the switch on for a comparison on how it starts, which might also point to the problem of fuel psi drop at the injectors.
Ron

hrdtail78

What I suggest isn't a fix.  It's a troubleshooting step for someone that can't read fuel pressure.  If it was an 08 and newer.  I'd just open the tank and look for a hole or loose fitting.
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 25, 2014, 07:29:28 AM
What I suggest isn't a fix.  It's a troubleshooting step for someone that can't read fuel pressure.  If it was an 08 and newer.  I'd just open the tank and look for a hole or loose fitting.
Understood. Just didn't want a case where settings could mask a mechanical issue. Hell, we both know step one golden rule with EFI is check pressure. Then chase other things. Dead give away with this bike is it did it new right away which points to fuel delivery of some sort. Sure factory cals are not stellar, but the engine usually starts first crack and stays running.
Ron

xdragracer

Gonna tear into the canopy , see if convoluted hoses have holes in it. Reading other forums related, Ordered a check valve and filter, We shall see whats going on.
Quote from: xdragracer on June 25, 2014, 05:56:25 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 24, 2014, 06:53:05 PM
Tried that added10%,20%.

Yes , I have tried that
Thanks
Yes its hissing and has a Drip, drip , drip sound also
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on June 25, 2014, 05:58:16 AM
so pump runs shuts off and and you can hear bubbling , spraying sound in the tank?
Yes its hissing and has a Drip, drip , drip sound also
Scott
2015 RGS

1931jamesw

Sounds like you found the problem. If not, read my previous post. Are you trying to start recording data before you start the bike? Some bike do exactly what you're describing if you try to record before starting.