September 20, 2024, 08:23:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Target tune closer to coming to market?

Started by Mountainman streetbob, July 21, 2015, 04:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittlebeast

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 07, 2015, 05:47:52 AM
That is why test gas is used at most dyno facilities- gives them a way to verify the WBs are reading accurately.  If the 02 sensor reports something different than what the test gas normally reads, it's time for a new sensor.
Quick video shows how DynoJet does it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57zcZtfixc

That is a great test for one condition, room temperature and pressure.  All the magic in wideband controllers is in these compensations on the fly.  We have no way to change that part.

When tuning at home, you have to deal with what you have and learn to work with it to your best advantage.
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

GregOn2Wheels

On my 2015 FLHTK, the bungs on the stock headpipe are, I'm guessing, around 18" from the exhaust ports.  The Fullsac DX pipe I'm running locates the NBs in about the same spot as the factory headpipe, and so did the Jackpot 2-1-2 I used to run, but the WBs (on the Fullsac and the Jackpot) are located 3-4" from the exhaust ports.  So - why would one expect the WBs 3" from the ports to read the same as NBs that are maybe 18" away? My advise is, when you switch to WBs, roll with the WBs and ignore what the NBs are saying.  If you don't trust the WBs, why did you switch to a system that depends on them?

Sunny Jim

I just wanted to chime in and say I recently completed approx 1000 km Om my SG 103. It has PV with TT. 030. HG , 54s with 4 degree adv, fullsac and monster rounds. The map was ex dynojet for target tune. It's been Auto tuned several times.
The bike has never ran better.
Cruising on 14.3:1. The AFR s are spot on. CLIs are centralising back to 100 constantly.
It's a little rich on decel but that is DIY adjustable.
It will be dynoed soon.,  so we will see the anomalies in the tune.
Very happy on this bike.

DTTJGlide

I haven't read all 20 pages so I apologize if it's already been answered, is TT able to dial in timing as well as AFR & is it a constant thing or do you have readjust it using the PV? Would it be of help when encountering different grades of fuel on a trip? TIA

whittlebeast

Once you get it dialed in, they are amazing.

DTTJGlide

So do you have to log knock occurrences & adjust with the PV or does it do it on it's own. It would be great if it worked like the newer auto ECMs that adjust spark advance depending on the fuel being run. Guess I'll have to give Fuel Moto a call to get the answer.

glens

No, you won't; it don't.  It's not "auto-tune" but rather "auto-fuel."  It's not even really that.  It merely adjusts fuel to meet the targets you've manually entered.

glens

whittlebeast

Autotune is how fast and effectivly the system helps you.

Glens, have you installed and tested a Target Tune?   Please  post up the logs and let everyone see the results.

Andy

HD/Wrench

HD/Wrench

December 01, 2015, 06:23:43 AM #485 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:26:32 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE
Quote from: DTTJGlide on November 30, 2015, 07:47:47 PM
So do you have to log knock occurrences & adjust with the PV or does it do it on it's own. It would be great if it worked like the newer auto ECMs that adjust spark advance depending on the fuel being run. Guess I'll have to give Fuel Moto a call to get the answer.

No auto correct . You have to log and then make the correction manual ,  There are systems that do , but this is not the post to put that info up.

GregOn2Wheels

[/quote]

No auto correct . You have to log and then make the correction manual ,  There are systems that do , but this is not the post to put that info up.
[/quote]

You can log and make corrections to the spark table manually with TT, but that's not the only way.  TT can programmatically decrease advance in the spark tables in its autotune mode.

HD/Wrench

Have a log  with it in and out ( auto tune)   showing recorded timing numbers and see if its pulling timing out just because you are in auto tune??   

Coyote

Quote from: GregOn2Wheels on December 01, 2015, 07:30:44 AM
You can log and make corrections to the spark table manually with TT, but that's not the only way.  TT can programmatically decrease advance in the spark tables in its autotune mode.

I did not find the timing feature but maybe I just missed it or maybe you have to enable it? I did my timing edits manually but I'd be interested to see what it would do with my map in the 107. If you have more details on how it's used, that would be great.

joe_lyons

December 01, 2015, 07:42:54 AM #489 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:52:22 AM by joe_lyons
You have to set the min-max in the settings menu for any of the auto tunes.  It's at the bottom left of the screen before you get to the green screen.

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Coyote

Quote from: joe_lyons on December 01, 2015, 07:42:54 AM
You have to set the min-max in the settings menu for any of the auto tunes.  It's at the bottom left of the screen before you get to the green screen.

Cool, I'll take a look. Have you found the feature to be fairly reliable? I know I had some timing pulls initially that seem to be false on my tune. I think those are resolved now and what little I see now seems to be legit.

GregOn2Wheels

To enable spark tune, go to the autotune menu on your PV and select settings. From this menu, change Max Spark Learn to something like 10.  It will probably be set to 0 initially.  To prevent spark and VE learn from happening simultaneously, which Dynojet does not recommend, change Max VE Learn to 0. Now enable autotune and ride. Note that the data log screen displays cell hits for VE learn only so if you're tuning spark only, it won't show you which cells you've hit.  The only way to know those cells is to export the tune when your finished and use the modified cell coloring in WinPV when comparing to the tune you started with.

joe_lyons

Coyote

Quote from: GregOn2Wheels on December 01, 2015, 07:50:48 AM
To enable spark tune, go to the autotune menu on your PV and select settings. From this menu, change Max Spark Learn to something like 10.  It will probably be set to 0 initially.  To prevent spark and VE learn from happening simultaneously, which Dynojet does not recommend, change Max VE Learn to 0. Now enable autotune and ride. Note that the data log screen displays cell hits for VE learn only so if you're tuning spark only, it won't show you which cells you've hit.  The only way to know those cells is to export the tune when your finished and use the modified cell coloring in WinPV when comparing to the tune you started with.

Thanks

joe_lyons

I have found that if you are getting alot of knock retard but none of it is audible then going back and reviewing the logs and looking at the MAP right before the knock event happens and see if it dips or not.  Remember that knock retard is reactive so moving the numbers down an rpm spot would be a good idea.

GregOn2Wheels

Quote from: joe_lyons on December 01, 2015, 07:57:53 AM
I have found that if you are getting alot of knock retard but none of it is audible then going back and reviewing the logs and looking at the MAP right before the knock event happens and see if it dips or not.  Remember that knock retard is reactive so moving the numbers down an rpm spot would be a good idea.
Good info Joe. So if there is a MAP dip just before the knock event, does this mean it's an event you can ignore?

Coyote

So how many samples back in the log do you need to go for the adjustment? Or does it vary and it's a WAG?

joe_lyons

Quote from: GregOn2Wheels on December 01, 2015, 08:00:55 AM

Good info Joe. So if there is a MAP dip just before the knock event, does this mean it's an event you can ignore?
Yes, if I see a dip in the MAP then that is usually a good indicator that was a knock event
Quote from: Coyote on December 01, 2015, 08:01:11 AM

So how many samples back in the log do you need to go for the adjustment? Or does it vary and it's a WAG?
For knock be altered be autotuning I believe it only needs one hit to make an adjustment but I could be wrong.

whittlebeast

HD/Wrench

AFR at those points? I see that many of these can be very picky for timing at 1750 to 2250 in the 70+ KPA range. Not all builds but some.. If they run a short duration cam with slightly elevated compression