May 04, 2024, 09:31:26 AM

News:

2018 CVO 117 testing

Started by HD/Wrench, October 27, 2017, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

SO the bike ran well in stock form making decent numbers . I added the TTS tuner and it came to life not only in larger peak numbers just a happy engine at that point. I have a Fulsac system thta will be installed on the bike along with 1.75 core in the OEM mufflers .

OEM best numbers ( 5-6 gear run together ) 90 HP and 111 tq in 100% stock form.

TTS tune still 100 % stock parts on it power up to 96 hp and 117 tq. 

The air cleaner on this bike is going to be a choke point in my opinion. Its smaller than the early style CVO unit and they do no flow great .

SO next step is ex system re tune and after that the cam . I hope to get the ex and cam tune done same day to keep the weather changes to the minimum  .

Being that the 117 is now the std for the CVO  should prove interesting how it does with the basic mods .

Cam spec are a mystery at this point but I will be " rolling the cam " once I have it out to see what the specs on it really are . It is NOT the same as the 107 or the 114 based on part numbers

Dyno sheets are post in the dyno section . 

1FSTRK

Great thread Steve, looking forward to seeing the rest of your testing.
Thanks for posting here.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

Thanks I have the new ex on it and will be on the drum today ( at least I hope so ) and then for the cam swap . I have two that I want to test but time wise not sure that will happen . This testing is very time consuming to say the least .

HD/Wrench

So I added the Fulsac head pipe and 1.75 cores with screen kit and mat. The ex system is extremely nice , by far the best and nicest fit and finish i have dealt with for the M8 . Air filter is in fact too small and costing power I posted the sheet in the dyno section It made 105/122 as a stage one bike. Which I feel is very impressive . I could tweak and tune and show you maybe 1-2 more here or there but over all these are numbers that I feel anyone can obtain .

Test cam will go in and back on to more tuning.

HD/Wrench

November 01, 2017, 07:14:39 AM #4 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:08:09 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE
Well cam is on hold for a short time we have to check a few more things .

1FSTRK

:up: :up:
I for one have no problems with waiting for good information from people that take the extra time to do things right.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

Well at this point there are more questions per say than answers . The cam is not the same as the 107 or 114 That we knew. I  did measure it and come up with a "lift" on it . It does have more lift than the other OEM  cam  The cam will be run on a cam machine . At that point I think we will know more than an approx lift number. Looking at it it has two dots on the lobes vs 1 dot so easy to tell them apart.

Today will uncover more info as to what we have for clearance on this new engine.

lucasg

:up: Keep up the good work Steve ! 

HD/Wrench

The heads are in fact the same as all other M8 heads spring pack the same as well . The pistons are in fact  NOT the SE piston as some posted . Not where where I read that but they are a std cast flat top with small shallow valve relief .

HG got thicker up from the 45 to 62 compressed ..  Checking other 18's at the dealership with a feeler gauge shows that to be the norm now . There is a area on both sides on the cylinder that you can get a good , fairly accurate  measurement within 1-2 thou. Close enough ..

It does help with the install/ removal of the intake . Vs 2017 .

New cam will be in and tuned shortly .

HD/Wrench

One thing I did forget to do was a CCP test on the stock engine  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  I will have cam specs soon on the OEM 117 cam .. Wondering what that will look like I have lift numbers on it but that was all I could do.. I wonder if it will be like the 255 cam that worked well in a 96 and in the 103 .. Might be a swap for a 107 HA HA

HD/Wrench

After taking it apart and now the new cam in it re tune .. I feel this is a nice middle of the road build .  I have a few hero pulls but what I posted in the dyno section is avg on 5 pulls from best to worst right in the middle 

117 hp and 130 tq  Cam is a bolt in no spring change needed  I did a CCP test and its right at 233/ 235

Runs great  for a stage II build I cannot see much of anything to complain about power wise .

hd06

HD/Wrench

Air cleaner testing on the larger engines we have done and tested the Trask over the CVO version and the stock version as well. No change from CVO to stock that I could see on the drum . pretty much anything over stock type will help . As always hard to say where that point will be based on the build. T/B testing is in process now and on the 114 kit the 64 is needed to obtain the higher Hp numbers .

Will have the results soon . Its a time killer for sure . but the data is great and shops are learning more with each test and build that is not cookie cutter ( meaning done already ) 

rich1

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 27, 2017, 06:41:54 AM
Air cleaner testing on the larger engines we have done and tested the Trask over the CVO version and the stock version as well. No change from CVO to stock that I could see on the drum . pretty much anything over stock type will help . As always hard to say where that point will be based on the build.

Are you saying the CVO Ventilator style air cleaner and the stock 107 air cleaner tested virtually the same? Not sure i am reading this right. Thanks and appreciate the info.

HD/Wrench

yes no real change in power . not enough to say that one is far better than the next . the new ventilator filter is small .

this one however works very well in testing

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-extreme-flow-air-cleaner
so i have tested 4 units at this point

harley#1

did the sumping issue show up on the dyno.

HD/Wrench

What sumping issue ?? this bike runs fine . Oil in crank case is fine . as well the power lines are where they should be . better i fact than I had hoped

SLAATY

How about the Extreme Flow vs. Heavy Breather? About the same? I'd like to swap mine for one with a cover; this past season was a wet one...

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Don D

Lots of new paradigms
The heads flow plenty even at that cubic inch level, and the pent roof will take more squeeze without pms.
Lots of potential and even where this is at now would make most riders extremely happy.

HD/Wrench

Customer now has just over 3000 miles on the bike with the updates that we did. Reported back . In a nustshell love the power across the board more than enough HP for anything that he needs.. ( he had a 113 CVO that we built a few years ago that made in  126/134 . And he said he would take this build over that one ..  The power is extremely smooth .   So as a 117 kit goes this cam will make the large % of people very happy .  It may not be a HP king but for every day riding touring and hot rodding around  it is a nice package .

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 29, 2017, 06:08:59 AM
yes no real change in power . not enough to say that one is far better than the next . the new ventilator filter is small .

this one however works very well in testing

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-extreme-flow-air-cleaner
so i have tested 4 units at this point

Is the Heavy breather for the M8 any better than the Ventilator?    Is the extreme flow air cleaner much better then the M8 Heavy breather? 

Thanks.  Really nice results on this bike.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

lucasg

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 09, 2017, 02:15:34 PM
After taking it apart and now the new cam in it re tune .. I feel this is a nice middle of the road build .  I have a few hero pulls but what I posted in the dyno section is avg on 5 pulls from best to worst right in the middle 

117 hp and 130 tq  Cam is a bolt in no spring change needed  I did a CCP test and its right at 233/ 235

Runs great  for a stage II build I cannot see much of anything to complain about power wise .

Very respectable numbers Steve, and if it's a non-PMS build even better.  I don't know if I missed something earlier in your thread, but are the ccp #'s a little high ?  Are these new M8 motors building  that much more cylinder pressure ?  My apologies if I missed something earlier...

HD/Wrench

I did in fact do CCP testing on it after the cam install .. I forgot to do it as a base line  :banghead:

Off the top of my head without looking it up it was  230 ish .. I will see about finding the exact figure later . Dealing with a seized up air compressor pump today  :angry:

HD/Wrench

I forgot to post this up,.. long time ago now  :banghead: .. Stock specs on CVO 117 cam .  Andrews was kind enough to test them and send this sheet over ..