May 09, 2024, 06:47:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

160+?

Started by 08flstf, November 24, 2017, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: Joes1988 on December 07, 2017, 05:39:29 AM
Sometimes, all the fun is getting there and being able to.  Everybody knows buying a zx14r will get you 180hp and a bike that runs in the 9's.  Very few know what it is to make 160+ with a Harley, but more than that have tried.

Exactly     :up:       :up:

biggzed

I don't disagree with anything you said about HD's lack of performance. The only problem with that is the vast majority of people riding HD's are not concerned about performance. They are concerned with how the bike looks and the reaction they get from people when they pull up on their "hog".

This forum does not represent the majority of the HD consumer. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell a HD rider what those little buttons are next to my spark plugs. Then explain to him why they are there only to hear: "why would you do that, they run fine right off the showroom floor".

JMO
Zach

Quote from: thumper 823 on December 07, 2017, 07:47:02 AM
You are letting Harley off the hook with your brand of thinking.
I for my part will not.
20, 30 or even 40K for 65 HP is out and out   FREEKIN OUTRAGEOUS!
I have owned many Harleys and only bought one new one in my life.
I learned early on from that experience I had to take it apart and redo it to make it go.
Therefore, no use in buying a new one.
Harley is going to see a huge sag in sales when the last crop of old guys goes out to pasture.
The way they do business, even now,  the used sales have tanked already.
I sincerely doubt they will be here in five years.
I am waiting for the final flush,  as it is circling the bowl as of right now.
A younger person not caught up in the bucket list thing will buy most anything besides an HD.
There is a lot to choose from.

thumper 823

Quote from: biggzed on December 07, 2017, 08:50:18 AM
I don't disagree with anything you said about HD's lack of performance. The only problem with that is the vast majority of people riding HD's are not concerned about performance. They are concerned with how the bike looks and the reaction they get from people when they pull up on their "hog".

This forum does not represent the majority of the HD consumer. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell a HD rider what those little buttons are next to my spark plugs. Then explain to him why they are there only to hear: "why would you do that, they run fine right off the showroom floor".

JMO
Zach

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to politely disagree with you.
The majority would pay anything for more power.
Just read the forums here, or anywhere on the net.
If I have a discussion with most anyone the conversation always turns to performance.
True, some specialize in wax and chrome but that would e the minority.
Even these people will talk about their mechanic and what he did for them.
It all about Cams, CR, pipes, dynos and etc.
There is HUGE   amount of business across America specializing in more power for your Harley.
Carry on.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

The guys I ride with regularly want more power, to a point. Maybe cams, definitely not headwork, and no dyno tune. Mostly stage 1 exhaust, air cleaner, flash tune.
Guys I ride with casually three or four times a year, exhaust, no tune, "it runs just fine."
So yes, performance is a topic for them, but mostly, "I don't want to downshift" performance, not "I hate second place" performance.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

08flstf

I'm the only one in my group of friends or even just people I know that I might occasionally ride with that cares enough about performance to actually spend money on it. All of them do a stage 1, most of them just for the sound, a few say it's for the performance but they would never spend money on a dyno tune because the stage 1 download is good enough. I'm not saying Harley's stock performance is good but then neither is Indian or even Victory for that matter. Don't know of any air cooled v-twin two valve head metric cruisers or baggers that shake the earth either. I've modded nearly every bike or vehicle I've ever owned anyway to try to get them the way I want them. So it's not like I'm letting Harley off too easy, I would be doing the same things to any other bike I bought instead.

thumper 823

In all cordiality, I never had a guy say to me "How can I make this thing go slower?"
I tell them what might help, the probable cost and they get all pooed because of the ...money!
Then the next day-
I see them go buy a piece of chrome crap for about the same amount.
For lots of guys, they are posers or bucket list fulfillers and wished they had bought a HD when they were twenty instead of sixty.
Trailering the dam thing everywhere and wanting to ..looook kool.
They are enamored by every glittery thing, like a schoolgirly starring into a Woolworth's store window.
"Gimme that shiny thing to bolt on!"
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Pete_Vit

Quote from: thumper 823 on December 07, 2017, 12:15:25 PM
In all cordiality, I never had a guy say to me "How can I make this thing go slower?"
I tell them what might help, the probable cost and they get all pooed because of the ...money!
Then the next day-
For lots of guys, they are posers or bucket list fulfillers and wished they had bought a HD when they were twenty instead of sixty.
They are enamored by every glittery thing, like a schoolgirly starring into a Woolworth's store window.
:agree: got maybe 3-4 guys at my site that ride, I talk about cams, intake,exhaust, ignition.. they just politely shake their heads as they walk into the building  :scratch:
the guy I asked about his Kawi- Vulcan, I regularly send him links to sites for fixes, upgrades....he's not interested, it looks like a Harley and got pipes that make it sound like a harley, so  :wtf:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 07, 2017, 12:54:02 PM
Then the next day-
:agree: got maybe 3-4 guys at my site that ride, I talk about cams, intake,exhaust, ignition.. they just politely shake their heads as they walk into the building  :scratch:
the guy I asked about his Kawi- Vulcan, I regularly send him links to sites for fixes, upgrades....he's not interested, it looks like a Harley and got pipes that make it sound like a harley, so  :wtf:

And don't forget, he got all that Harley-ness without paying the Harley price. So he's way ahead of the game...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

08flstf

Then the next day-

Quit picking on my friends!!! :hyst:

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on December 07, 2017, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 07, 2017, 12:54:02 PM
Then the next day-

And don't forget, he got all that Harley-ness without paying the Harley price. So he's way ahead of the game...

I ran across an import painted in traditional HD style and colors, he had added HD hard bags and right down to HD badged Dunlop tires! I had to look close to see what it was as all the factory emblems had been removed. At a quick glance it almost looked like a HD.

I wondered how much money he spent to make it like like a HD.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

pwmorris

Quote from: C-Cat on November 24, 2017, 07:47:42 AM
Good heads and the parts to match is the hard way. Find a friendly dyno is an easier alternative!
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Seen More BS Dyno sheets and false claims over the last 15 years than I can remember.
Big numbers sells parts, stroke egos, and make $$$.
Finding out if these "160 plus" daily driven street bikes are actually fast ( a legit 160 plus daily driver should at least be in the mid to low 10's), is a whole other thread....

rhuff

Quote from: Hossamania on December 07, 2017, 09:17:14 AM
The guys I ride with regularly want more power, to a point. Maybe cams, definitely not headwork, and no dyno tune. Mostly stage 1 exhaust, air cleaner, flash tune.
Guys I ride with casually three or four times a year, exhaust, no tune, "it runs just fine."
So yes, performance is a topic for them, but mostly, "I don't want to downshift" performance, not "I hate second place" performance.

How true.

I've spent a lot of money making my 2003 the best it can be.  Ohlins shocks.  Frame stabilizer.  107" all bore motor.  The motor was the last upgrade.  Next will be something with the front forks.  It's a major weak link.  My floorboard braces are scraped.  A lot.  How I wish the MoCo put a real suspension on these bikes.  While my 2015 RGS is leaps and bounds better........it's still antiquated. 

pwmorris

This should get er' done-and very streetable on pump gas, as long as your pockets are deep enough...

1workinman

I took a ride in a Honda Integra that has a 496inch blower motor , glide ect , one of my brothers hot rods and after the ride he asked my other brother if he wanted a ride f no was the answer . A guy has to know his limitations lol and that bike would be it for me . I have a 143 inch in a Road Glide that Steve is working on now but not turbo beyond my skill sets to keep it up right all of the time lol . I leave that to the pros

HighLiner

That looks like a bad ass ride!

pwmorris

Quote from: HighLiner on December 09, 2017, 10:51:08 AM
That looks like a bad ass ride!
That thing would leave my street FXR in another zip code, as long as he can ride and control that power-

Quote from: 1workinman on December 09, 2017, 10:02:53 AM
I took a ride in a Honda Integra that has a 496inch blower motor , glide ect , one of my brothers hot rods and after the ride he asked my other brother if he wanted a ride f no was the answer . A guy has to know his limitations lol and that bike would be it for me . I have a 143 inch in a Road Glide that Steve is working on now but not turbo beyond my skill sets to keep it up right all of the time lol . I leave that to the pros
True that-
With no wheelie or tire spin computer control, you can flip that sucker in an instant if you don't know what you are doing....once that sucker builds boost, all hell breaks loose....

1workinman

December 10, 2017, 04:39:55 AM #191 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:51:32 AM by 1workinman
 Well I think that is a situation where I just show up and have a few beers and watch the show . My late brother was a air craft mechanic, inspector and he told me of a guy who stole a JATO and put it in the his  fire bird or what ever it was . Only problem what not way to throttle back , a problem that was discovered after the fact lol . He wound up in the side of a mountain . I think that the bike might have similar throttle if I tried it  :chop: