May 08, 2024, 07:42:54 PM

News:

160+?

Started by 08flstf, November 24, 2017, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

Ok, mainly for discussion, but interested if it's feasible. How hard is it to get 160+ hp out of a 124? I know it's asking a lot but wondering if it can be done and still be rideable and not just bar hopper or track bike. I have a 124 now that makes 137 and as much fun as it is, I'm a little bored. It's a Drago's crate motor that has done everything it was supposed to do and more. Have 8000 trouble free miles on it so far. Ride it locally and rode it from Texas to Daytona and back. Just wondering if you can get that much power out of one how "user friendly" it would be.

C-Cat

Good heads and the parts to match is the hard way. Find a friendly dyno is an easier alternative!
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

rigidthumper

Super easy. Never cheap.  Add a ProCharger :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Templer

If 137 after 8000 miles is "boreing" then the only solution is a Pro Charged/Turbo Drago 143? You would also need to hit a LARGE LOTTO wins for the tickets!!!

rbabos

Keep it as is and get another bike that will scare you. Motus, maybe.
Ron

Matt C

Easy. All it takes is money. Trask turbo will do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htHGYGN9ZLM

FLDavetrain

What and where is the peak torque ??
currently 510ci on tap

Ohio HD

Or, get the mix of parts that work. Brandon hit a home run here.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=98188.0

Matt C

Quote from: FLDavetrain on November 24, 2017, 08:14:37 AM
What and where is the peak torque ??

There's lots of charts out there Google it. Boosted engines produce enormous amounts of TQ. Right
off idle to redline.

08flstf

I know a pro charger or turbo could do that and more but I was thinking naturally aspirated. I know it's asking a lot but I've heard it can be done, but I know most of you here are more knowledgeable than me. Was hoping if it could be done it wouldn't have to 12/1 comp or higher. I've done the two bike thing before but it just doesn't seem worth paying insurance on two bikes when I can only ride one at a time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ohio HD

Really good heads, as you know, more compression, and you should have a top notch exhaust like Burns. There are examples in the dyno section, S&S 640 cams seem capable as long as the heads TB and exhaust support the goal. I'd ask Brandon how his is as far as manors, I bet it's not bad at all.

No Cents

you use the words "user friendly" and 160+ horsepower together.
That's not the easiest thing to do with a naturally aspirated twin cam unless your willing to spend some serious cash. It can be done though.
  I fall short of having a 160 hp by a couple of horsepower with my 124" set at 11.17:1 compression. Driving manners on my bike are excellent. I wouldn't hesitate making that back and forth trip from Texas to Daytona.
  The thing is when you get a 160+ horsepower engine your going to need to upgrade a lot of other things on the bike so everything else plays well together.  That kind of power will test everything else. But once you get all the weak links worked out...you can't help but smile every time you ride it.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

FXDBI

Quote from: 08flstf on November 24, 2017, 09:44:10 AM
I know a pro charger or turbo could do that and more but I was thinking naturally aspirated. I know it's asking a lot but I've heard it can be done, but I know most of you here are more knowledgeable than me. Was hoping if it could be done it wouldn't have to 12/1 comp or higher. I've done the two bike thing before but it just doesn't seem worth paying insurance on two bikes when I can only ride one at a time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Put a 143 in it..Nothing money cant fix.   Bob

Matt C

You could do it with a low compression turbo 103. It would be super mild mannered (until you wailed on it).
The only things you'd need inside the engine would be a bullet proof crank and blower pistons (8.5-9:1).

Would run on pump gas all day long and live a long happy life if you didn't abuse it. + The sound of a turbo is
just plain intimidating. There wouldn't be much that could keep up with you.

turboprop

Quote from: 08flstf on November 24, 2017, 07:07:58 AM
Ok, mainly for discussion, but interested if it's feasible. How hard is it to get 160+ hp out of a 124? I know it's asking a lot but wondering if it can be done and still be rideable and not just bar hopper or track bike. I have a 124 now that makes 137 and as much fun as it is, I'm a little bored. It's a Drago's crate motor that has done everything it was supposed to do and more. Have 8000 trouble free miles on it so far. Ride it locally and rode it from Texas to Daytona and back. Just wondering if you can get that much power out of one how "user friendly" it would be.

My TC 124 put down 152 HP on a break in tune with a full can, AC, carburetor and a severely bent transmission main shaft and it did it before 6,200 rpm. 160hp is easily within reach. In its current state (11.9 compression, S&S 640 cams), it starts easy and has very good manners, even in extended, slow moving traffic. Dyno sheet is on file. Having a throttle body instead of a carb would have made it much easier.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

08flstf

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm at 10.8/1 right now with 640's and a 58mm throttle body and 5.8 injectors with a Dragula 1 with the 2.55 baffle. Was thinking going as far as 11.5/1, going with an HPI 64mm throttle body, keeping the 640's, porting the heads, and have the 3.0 baffle if needed.

Tireman

Your plans to bump compression and keep the 640s look very similar to my build. The tuner set the limiter @ 5800 because I do more touring than bar hoppin. It's not 160+ but it was still pulling @ 5800 and I  was told they will pull to 64-6500. I only have the 55/58 tb too. I have close to 20k trouble free miles so far on it. Good  luck keep us posted.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=90369.0
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

1workinman

Quote from: Tireman on November 24, 2017, 03:08:37 PM
Your plans to bump compression and keep the 640s look very similar to my build. The tuner set the limiter @ 5800 because I do more touring than bar hoppin. It's not 160+ but it was still pulling @ 5800 and I  was told they will pull to 64-6500. I only have the 55/58 tb too. I have close to 20k trouble free miles so far on it. Good  luck keep us posted.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=90369.0
Ron your probably will do a 160 hp with the rev limit re set or very close but I not sure what the point is . Your combination is very good,  heads that make horse power.  Really nice build

TorQuePimp

Quote from: 08flstf on November 24, 2017, 02:13:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm at 10.8/1 right now with 640's and a 58mm throttle body and 5.8 injectors with a Dragula 1 with the 2.55 baffle. Was thinking going as far as 11.5/1, going with an HPI 64mm throttle body, keeping the 640's, porting the heads, and have the 3.0 baffle if needed.

S&S heads ?

jam65

A B2 headed and prepped by Baisley 124 with a S&S 675 cam on 1.725 rockers and a compression of 12:1 should do it...... I hope.

pwmorris

Quote from: jam65 on November 24, 2017, 04:50:10 PM
A B2 headed and prepped by Baisley 124 with a S&S 675 cam on 1.725 rockers and a compression of 12:1 should do it...... I hope.
:up:
Rode my Baisley prepped 124" for three years on the street and track (why not?).
I over revved it (my fault), and blew it up on the track. My only bike, and it was a true pump gas dual threat.
BTW, 178/154.

Current street bike is a 126" @ 170+/150 and for three years (less comp and cam), currently with SA Racing Heads and does the job, day in/day out with no issues-and I ride this sucker all over SoCal.

OP, you getting Holiday fever? Bored riding your bike?
Ever taken it to the track to see what you really have?
Get off the laminated Dyno number fixation.....or get a 143" as said, and call it a day.
No free lunch-my motors cost about as much as a 143 (heads as much as some guys motors, and I use only the best),  and that big brute 143 does it easier, at lower comp and cam, and without breaking a sweat....

08flstf

Quote from: TorQuePimp on November 24, 2017, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: 08flstf on November 24, 2017, 02:13:30 PM

S&S heads ?

Yes S&S super stock heads.

08flstf

Quote from: pwmorris on November 24, 2017, 05:35:47 PM
Quote from: jam65 on November 24, 2017, 04:50:10 PM
:up:
Rode my Baisley prepped 124" for three years on the street and track (why not?).
I over revved it (my fault), and blew it up on the track. My only bike, and it was a true pump gas dual threat.
BTW, 178/154.

Current street bike is a 126" @ 170+/150 and for three years (less comp and cam), currently with SA Racing Heads and does the job, day in/day out with no issues-and I ride this sucker all over SoCal.

OP, you getting Holiday fever? Bored riding your bike?
Ever taken it to the track to see what you really have?
Get off the laminated Dyno number fixation.....or get a 143" as said, and call it a day.
No free lunch-my motors cost about as much as a 143 (heads as much as some guys motors, and I use only the best),  and that big brute 143 does it easier, at lower comp and cam, and without breaking a sweat....

Haha, I guess I'm getting some kind of fever. Never taken this one to the track. Took my fatboy I used to have a couple times, that was fun. Will take this one eventually, probably after I swap over to chain drive. Just thinking of something to do to this one over the winter to keep me from thinking about a new bike.

TXChop

IF you are bored with 140, then 160 wont satisfy either.
You will spend cubic dollar per hp when you get over the 140 mark.
For me a 120-130hp is the most fun as you can ride it and go 10/10ths on it.
When i was running 160hp it wasnt as fun on the street. Had to be super careful.

No Cents

Quote from: TXCHOP on November 24, 2017, 07:47:06 PM
IF you are bored with 140, then 160 wont satisfy either.
You will spend cubic dollar per hp when you get over the 140 mark.
For me a 120-130hp is the most fun as you can ride it and go 10/10ths on it.
When i was running 160hp it wasnt as fun on the street. Had to be super careful.

:agree: ...and it really sucks when you get caught out in the rain with all that power on tap. A quick learning curve will happen.
The bike will give you the sensation of like it's on ice if you try to apply a little too much throttle too fast. I found out that this will easily happen in at least the 1st three gears to me. I've very quickly found myself changing my normal riding style and having to basically baby the bike to keep it from busting the rear tire loose on any wet roads. Hell...it's hard enough to learn to hold back on it on dry roads when the bike just wants to get up and go. The temptation is always there to feel that horsepower.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae