May 09, 2024, 01:31:29 AM

News:

160+?

Started by 08flstf, November 24, 2017, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon Moon

Little work to a V Rod and bottle feed it. Over 200 and still a Harley. Also may need to check other insurance company. Every time I add a bike mine goes down.
Multiple bike discount.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Neon Moon on November 26, 2017, 03:06:01 PM
Little work to a V Rod and bottle feed it. Over 200 and still a Harley. Also may need to check other insurance company. Every time I add a bike mine goes down.
Multiple bike discount.

So is a Sportster, but they aren't the same as a big twin, neither are.

FXDBI

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 26, 2017, 03:10:45 PM
Quote from: Neon Moon on November 26, 2017, 03:06:01 PM
Multiple bike discount.

So is a Sportster, but they aren't the same as a big twin, neither are.
:agree:   Bob

Mother

Hey 08, I'm in the same boat...my 124 has been 150+Hp and it's been 116hp but with the such violent torque it was crazy..I do love testing and learning....maybe I got a lil bored and I started testing cams for a better touring set up that I was currently running(Andrews 64 with lower compression). I am still in the same boat.... Ordering two sets of pistons, one set for a take no prisoners hero build and the other set flat tops for a stout touring bike.
155hp/149tq Hyperformance iron cylinder 131. JW Performance heads

pwmorris

November 26, 2017, 06:21:45 PM #54 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:29:53 PM by pwmorris
Quote from: Jonny Cash on November 26, 2017, 11:11:19 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on November 26, 2017, 10:03:30 AM
It for sure can be done, here's a 124 that Kelly built. It rocks, but also notice the cams he's using, S&S 675's. I have no idea how street able these might be for any type of extended length riding, I'm sure he can speak to it. However he does race this bike.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=97891.0

When I built my 124 I was wanting to keep it more streetable, and as such made it a milder build. I quickly discovered that it wasn't enough for me, and will be exchanging cams this winter. I'm also pretty sure that won't satisfy me, but will keep me happier for a short time. Eventuality I know the heads will go back to Larry, I'll order new pistons, order an exhaust, more clutch items, and away we go. But I also have a 2nd HD that is mostly stock, and is fun to ride too.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100336.0

Interesting topic, and I have a little insight.  Mine made 150 and a few as a crate engine with headwork, made a fine everyday rider, would have rode it anywhere.  Cam change and a big compression bump took me to mid 160's, probably more but I have really short gearing on the bike.  Its still streetable, the 675 cam really feels no different than the 640 as far as manners. Fuel is my limiting factor, E 85 is found in abundance here in IL, but not so much everywhere.  But that peak HP number doesn't tell the whole story, it only looks like 10 more HP, but the average HP, or TQ for that matter over the intended operating range, make the 2 combos entirely different animals.  It goes over 150 @ 5200 now and carrires 160 out to 7k, its a beast, worth .7 at the track this year, so that 10 HP bump on the sheet doesn't tell the whole story.  A 143 is the easy way to a streetable 160 HP.  I have two other daily riders, a stock 88 police bike and a 110 roadglide, the latter which will get a build very similar to Brians 124, which to me looks like a perfect big cube touring bike
Cash Money, what's UP?
Sounds like you have your bagger racer dialed in and looking for more-nice.

Just want to be clear for everyone here looking at HP, HP, HP....
Your bike as it is NOW, is primarily focused and built as a hot rod drag bagger...correct? It is NOT a tourer, or daily driver-not could be, would be, or might be.....
You do have another bike, correct? Or is this your Daily Driver?

TorQuePimp

He's got a good base to work from

Probably $3500 in parts,a pipe and you are there

Hillside Motorcycle

Have a B2 set of heads/their matched pistons on a 124", with handmade J-bend staggered duals,(to accomodate that exhaust port) heading up on the dyno shortly.
12.0 cr and S&S .640.
Be mighty surprised if it isn't in the mid-150's, with ease, once completed.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Jonny Cash

Quote from: pwmorris on November 26, 2017, 06:21:45 PM
Quote from: Jonny Cash on November 26, 2017, 11:11:19 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on November 26, 2017, 10:03:30 AM
It for sure can be done, here's a 124 that Kelly built. It rocks, but also notice the cams he's using, S&S 675's. I have no idea how street able these might be for any type of extended length riding, I'm sure he can speak to it. However he does race this bike.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=97891.0

When I built my 124 I was wanting to keep it more streetable, and as such made it a milder build. I quickly discovered that it wasn't enough for me, and will be exchanging cams this winter. I'm also pretty sure that won't satisfy me, but will keep me happier for a short time. Eventuality I know the heads will go back to Larry, I'll order new pistons, order an exhaust, more clutch items, and away we go. But I also have a 2nd HD that is mostly stock, and is fun to ride too.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100336.0

Interesting topic, and I have a little insight.  Mine made 150 and a few as a crate engine with headwork, made a fine everyday rider, would have rode it anywhere.  Cam change and a big compression bump took me to mid 160's, probably more but I have really short gearing on the bike.  Its still streetable, the 675 cam really feels no different than the 640 as far as manners. Fuel is my limiting factor, E 85 is found in abundance here in IL, but not so much everywhere.  But that peak HP number doesn't tell the whole story, it only looks like 10 more HP, but the average HP, or TQ for that matter over the intended operating range, make the 2 combos entirely different animals.  It goes over 150 @ 5200 now and carrires 160 out to 7k, its a beast, worth .7 at the track this year, so that 10 HP bump on the sheet doesn't tell the whole story.  A 143 is the easy way to a streetable 160 HP.  I have two other daily riders, a stock 88 police bike and a 110 roadglide, the latter which will get a build very similar to Brians 124, which to me looks like a perfect big cube touring bike
Cash Money, what's UP?
Sounds like you have your bagger racer dialed in and looking for more-nice.

Just want to be clear for everyone here looking at HP, HP, HP....
Your bike as it is NOW, is primarily focused and built as a hot rod drag bagger...correct? It is NOT a tourer, or daily driver-not could be, would be, or might be.....
You do have another bike, correct? Or is this your Daily Driver?

It daily rider/ hot rod.  I ride it at least a few times a week. NOT a tourer for sure.  My 02 cop bike has become my choice of ride lately, love that bike.  I ride the hotrod to a couple local tracks and make passes on it, have 3 tracks within an hour ride, it holds up just fine.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

Durwood

And you even have Closed Loop in the cruise area's for fuel mileage. :smiled:

Jonny Cash

Quote from: Durwood on November 27, 2017, 04:36:27 AM
And you even have Closed Loop in the cruise area's for fuel mileage. :smiled:

:up:  wide bands on it all the time now!  keeps me dialed in at the track
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

Templer

BMW 1600GT- 160HP rated from the factory, WAY  better ABS F&R brakes. out handle, out brake, all the bells and more BUT riding comfort is a NOT IMHO. sporty- stylish(??) and your 160hp. No matter how you dress or act your a YUPPY on a BMer with 160 HP.  You also cant warm up AND completely mix a rattle can like my HD.  :hyst:

ken6217

Quote from: pwmorris on November 25, 2017, 05:21:38 PM
Quote from: TXCHOP on November 24, 2017, 07:47:06 PM
IF you are bored with 140, then 160 wont satisfy either.
You will spend cubic dollar per hp when you get over the 140 mark.
For me a 120-130hp is the most fun as you can ride it and go 10/10ths on it.
When i was running 160hp it wasnt as fun on the street. Had to be super careful.

Quote from: No Cents on November 25, 2017, 06:44:06 AM
Quote from: TXCHOP on November 24, 2017, 07:47:06 PM
IF you are bored with 140, then 160 wont satisfy either.
You will spend cubic dollar per hp when you get over the 140 mark.
For me a 120-130hp is the most fun as you can ride it and go 10/10ths on it.
When i was running 160hp it wasnt as fun on the street. Had to be super careful.

:agree: ...and it really sucks when you get caught out in the rain with all that power on tap. A quick learning curve will happen.
The bike will give you the sensation of like it's on ice if you try to apply a little too much throttle too fast. I found out that this will easily happen in at least the 1st three gears to me. I've very quickly found myself changing my normal riding style and having to basically baby the bike to keep it from busting the rear tire loose on any wet roads. Hell...it's hard enough to learn to hold back on it on dry roads when the bike just wants to get up and go. The temptation is always there to feel that horsepower.
Two guys who have been there and know the deal.... :up:  :up: on the street it ain't just about power, power, power. Stock wheelbase HD's on a factory rear tire are simply no match for these big hp builds.
I'm talking your original question-
Legit, 160 SAE PLUS-all day, with all run conditions, and no games. Not close, almost, could do it with this or that, or any other BS secret sauce on one single manipulated Dyno. At this level, 160 plus is really 160-170, or more, repeatable on any Dyno, any day, with no fear (saw a big talker at a shootout saying his bike made 160, then pulled 142....then with  his embarrassment growing as the truth was shown in front of his boys, he meekly said "well maybe 160 at the crank"...I Just shook my head...lol). It also ain't about ringers, race bikes, or trailer queens either, but real, daily driven, daily started, heat soaked, all day pump gas brutes-This is where a 143" would shine. No need to ring it out upstairs like my bike-nope, just turn the key and go, or dumb the motor downstairs with a different cam profile. Killer.
To really enjoy and appreciate big power on the street, the bike really has to be designed around the power to hook, handle, and deal with it. Otherwise it's an exercise in frustration....
My 126" current build is way more fun as a daily driver than my old 124"-guess I learned over the years...
With the cam profile I have now, and the way the power comes in, it's like I have two bikes as it is pretty mild around town, then a beast upstairs. The old 124" hit so hard, so early, it was as said....spin, spin, spin, unless I constantly backed off the throttle, or it was a wheelie machine....slow it down and short shift and it was jerky as I twisted it, or I sometimes couldn't find a nice, easy cruise rpm if traffic wasn't just right. My current bike is just the opposite-smooth roll on power till 4 grand, and most of my freeway and city stuff is below that. Only issue I have now (not really a big deal), is I run a solid sprocket which lets you know when you are backing out of the sweet spot power band, so I have to pull in the clutch and release the power. Only took me a decade to figure out how to run a 170 HP bike on the street, make a 9 Second pass, and still really enjoy it every time I turn the key and ride it wherever and whenever I want here in SoCal.
Your results may vary...

OP, it really comes down to your goals and what you are trying to accomplish.
If you are serious, and not just dreamin', I would order a 143" and pull that motor out and sell it, or keep it as a spare or for another bike. Done-

Sometimes, the more you get, the less you get out of it in real enjoyment and actually riding the bike on a daily basis.

BTW, you guys talking rice rockets...this is HTT HARLEY tech talk....take that import stuff to another forum....or get off the net and actually build an American V Twin that will actually eat rice for breakfast and cruise with your other HD buddies for dinner.....

Not unless you put that American V Twin on a serious diet and shed a lot of weight.

No Cents

my son has a super light Honda 600R that he ran on the drag strip all summer long for some fun. It's a consistent 10.90 bike.
He tries to play with his dad's old heavy American V-Twin 2008 FLHX land barge bagger all the time...but he ends up seeing my tail light every time.  :embarrassed:   He can't stand the fact that he can't get by me.  :hyst:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

08flstf

Quote from: No Cents on November 27, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
    my son has a super light Honda 600R that he ran on the drag strip all summer long for some fun. It's a consistent 10.90 bike.
He tries to play with his dad's old heavy American V-Twin 2008 FLHX land barge bagger all the time...but he ends up seeing my tail light every time.  :embarrassed:   He can't stand the fact that he can't get by me.  :hyst:

:hyst:

PoorUB

The said part about that is comparing 600 CC to 2030 CC. 3 1/3 times to size!

Plus over 3 times the money invested!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: PoorUB on November 28, 2017, 04:44:23 AM

You might try this place out, I'm sure they have folks there that'll commiserate with you....                 :hyst:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/

Hossamania

Yup, money well spent!
Remember, you don't have to beat everyone, you just have to beat your friends (and family). If you can beat everyone, that's just gravy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

build it

November 28, 2017, 05:55:39 AM #67 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:03:32 AM by build it
The amount of discipline and money it takes to build a 160+ Harley is kind of staggering. Now you've got maintenance, and upkeep, and I'd guess that goes up pretty fast. Have sober view of what you want, and deal with people that have a track record of making that power regularly and you won't have a problem. There is maybe 4 shops that can actually get it done, but if you read this forum you might think there're more, but there isn't.

Added.
I don't think a 143 is the most economical means of getting there, a 124" with b2 heads is, probably by a very fair margin.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

No Cents

I wish it was only 3 times the money invested.  :banghead:  ...but I would do it all over again. It was fun taking that stock 96" bike and turning it into what it is now.
  I can't touch my son on his bike if we go riding on twisty roads. I've tried to keep up...but my bike has too much mass to handle in the corners like his does. The straight line road is my only chance to get him.

Hoss...you nailed it!   :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Barrett

I grew up on Kawasaki's, H1,H2's in the 70's. New Ninja's in 85 GPZ900, 89 ZX10 and 2000 ZX12R.
It isn't so much the bike but knowing how to ride it.
I pulled a stretched Busa on my 96" FXDF for 3 gears.
He started reving at a light like he wanted to race and when the light turned green he was still sittin there while I was moving  ;)  He was about to catch me so I let off in 3rd..
I expect to get about 140 out of my 117" and that will be plenty for me.

Hossamania

There is no perfect motorcycle, so we try to get close with what we have.
Want speed? Sport bike.
Want to tour? Not a sport bike.
Can you tour on a GSXR 600? Sure, but who does? Maybe three people, all young.
But, we can tour on a barge, and race as well. How many tour on a Harley FLH? Everybody.
How many race on a Harley? A hell of a lot more than tour on a small sport bike.
I say, build it!

There is no perfect car. If there was, it would be a 500 horsepower minivan convertible with a pickup bed, that gets 38 miles to the gallon, weighs 2800 pounds, and can tow 10,000 pounds.
For the record, I used to street race a station wagon. Who the hell does that?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rking1550

Quote from: Hossamania on November 28, 2017, 06:45:27 AM
Want speed? Sport bike.
But, we can tour on a barge, and race as well. How many tour on a Harley FLH? Everybody.
How many race on a Harley? A hell of a lot more than tour on a small sport bike.
I say, build it!

There is no perfect car. If there was, it would be a 500 horsepower minivan convertible with a pickup bed, that gets 38 miles to the gallon, weighs 2800 pounds, and can tow 10,000 pounds.

I did, as a kid drove a 71 chevy  wagon, 402 big block, turbo 400 tranny , 411 posi rear, boy did I surprise a lot of people in that grocery getter,  lol
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

PoorUB

November 28, 2017, 07:29:25 AM #72 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:33:28 AM by PoorUB
Quote from: No Cents on November 28, 2017, 06:02:19 AM

I wish it was only 3 times the money invested.  :banghead:  ...but I would do it all over again. It was fun taking that stock 96" bike and turning it into what it is now.
  I can't touch my son on his bike if we go riding on twisty roads. I've tried to keep up...but my bike has too much mass to handle in the corners like his does. The straight line road is my only chance to get him.

Hoss...you nailed it!   :up:

I figured it was more, but I was trying to be nice!

If you look at where you are now and skipped all the learning to get there I bet you spent a ton of spare change you did not have too.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ken6217

Quote from: Hossamania on November 28, 2017, 06:45:27 AM
Want speed? Sport bike.
I say, build it!

Well a BMW K1600 would just about fit that bill. Great tourer, handling, features, 160HP and 129TQ.

Ohio HD

There's nothing in the world wrong with riding a BMW, a Goldwing, a Ducati, or what ever your preference is. It just kills me though when a guy wants to ask for ideas and feasibility to take his HD to 160+ (which can be done) and the answers he gets is you should buy a blah blah bike instead. As was stated above, this is an HD tech site, ideas are welcome, but why try to talk a guy into doing a 180° from what he wants to do.