May 04, 2024, 08:46:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Valve Seat Issues?

Started by richbiker, December 28, 2017, 01:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richbiker

Spence
If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room!!

rbabos

BVHOG

Just saw that today, with the diminishing quality of the MoCo I am not even a little surprised.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

No Cents

they are going to be lined up at the dealerships now for leak down tests to be done after TR posted that video.  :wink:
Those M8's still scare me.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

1FSTRK

:up: :up:
Great job by TR getting the word out, very well done video with good information including what percentage of problem heads and honest sample size.

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HV

MOCO says normal Leak dome is up to 13%  :banghead:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

You don't suppose lean mixture, late ignition timing and excessive heat has anything to do with this do you?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

1FSTRK

TR indicated it was a machining problem.
There did not appear to be any high heat signs on the heads in the video.

FSG

1 bad replace all 4  ,    :up:

Durwood

Quote from: No Cents on December 28, 2017, 05:03:49 PM
  they are going to be lined up at the dealerships now for leak down tests to be done after TR posted that video.  :wink:
I recently tested mine and it was less than 1% on both cylinders, I guess my bike was built in the middle of the week.

Quote from: BVHOG on December 28, 2017, 07:34:31 PM
You don't suppose lean mixture, late ignition timing and excessive heat has anything to do with this do you?
Definite possibility Bob..My shop bike had one mile on it when I put it on the dyno for the initial break in and tune.
Quote from: rbabos on December 28, 2017, 02:39:03 PM
Oh great. :sick:
Ron
Come on Ron, tell us how you really feel. :hyst:

Durwood

I just chatted with Wes Brown and he hasn't seen any loose seats yet.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on December 29, 2017, 04:40:03 AM
I just chatted with Wes Brown and he hasn't seen any loose seats yet.

I think one point of the video is, is anyone else checking? It does appear that they could get past a visual check.

prodrag1320

on a properly installed seat,none of this would result in a seat coming loose.i havnt seen any loose seats yet,but I really havnt been looking for one either

badcooky

December 29, 2017, 05:45:58 AM #13 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:09:29 AM by badcooky
The video looked seriously bogus .

Herko

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on December 29, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Quote from: No Cents on December 28, 2017, 05:03:49 PM
I recently tested mine and it was less than 1% on both cylinders, I guess my bike was built in the middle of the week.

Definite possibility Bob..My shop bike had one mile on it when I put it on the dyno for the initial break in and tune.
Quote from: rbabos on December 28, 2017, 02:39:03 PM
Oh great. :sick:
Ron
Come on Ron, tell us how you really feel. :hyst:
Well, I do like the whole M8 thing and was considering one for a while. Problem is, the quality issues just keep coming. Issues that should not be there in the first place and if any are there, they should be looked after, not specs provided to justify the problem rather then resolve the issues. That burns my ass to no end.  My V rod may very well be the last HD I own. If they could get the M8 to the reliability state of the Revolution drive train MoCo could have the world by the ass. With the current mind set of the company it looks they are heading the other direction. Who in their right gear head mind could accept loose valve seats and be told 13% leak down is acceptable for the cost of these things? Not me.
Ron

Buglet

Durwood
                  What pressure did you use to check the leak down, did you check it at BDC, TDC, and in the middle. Thanks.     

koko3052

Cost keeps going up....quality keeps going down. :angry: :down:

FSG

Ohio HD

Quote from: badcooky on December 29, 2017, 05:45:58 AM
The video looked seriously bogus .

Having met Tom on two occasions at the Ohio Mile, talking Twin Cams and Sportsters (he was racing a Sportster there), he's a super knowledgeable guy, very pleasant, and also listens to you. I believe he wouldn't put something in public view if he had not seen this as an issue. Not to mention his reputation as being a straight up shop owner.

HV

Quote from: Herko on December 29, 2017, 06:14:50 AM
Quote from: HV on December 28, 2017, 07:23:03 PM
MOCO says normal Leak dome is up to 13%  :banghead:
Wow.

To be honest they say close to 20% is nothing to worry about ....Id have to disagree with that ....but I havent seen any close to that yet ....I guess High Mileage will tell the story FYI a Dealer is not going to replace seats ....just complete heads
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

wfolarry

I remember the Evo Sprtsters having the same issue. Standard test was to slam them on a piece of wood & see if the seats fall out. Wasn't a major problem but it was something you checked when you had one that was running bad & you ruled out everything else before you took it apart. If it is a problem [this is the first I heard of it] the MOCO will just increase the press fit & keep right on building bikes.
I do think what Durwood said makes a difference. Good tune always helps & never hurts.  :up:
Most of the failures I seen were heat related. With water cooling & oil cooling I don't see it becoming a major problem.

Durwood

Quote from: BUGLET on December 29, 2017, 07:03:56 AM
   Durwood
                  What pressure did you use to check the leak down, did you check it at BDC, TDC, and in the middle. Thanks.   
I checked it at the bottom and top, not the middle.

04 SE Deuce

:idea:  Maybe they can pressurize the primary with some of the blow-by so the trans lube will stay in the trans.

Makes me laugh when people state Harley quality is going down...they use to make some real junk.  Harley has always had an absurd amount of difficulty with design changes compared to Japanese bikes.  The M8 will be fine once sorted.

rbabos

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on December 29, 2017, 10:31:45 AM
:idea:  Maybe they can pressurize the primary with some of the blow-by so the trans lube will stay in the trans.

Makes me laugh when people state Harley quality is going down...they use to make some real junk.  Harley has always had an absurd amount of difficulty with design changes compared to Japanese bikes. The M8 will be fine once sorted.
Sure it will be sorted. In the mean time, I'll let others make donations to their bottom line while they take their sweet ass time solving issues and get it where it should have been in the first place. It was mentioned he EVO Sportsters had this issue at first. Does this company ever learn from their mistakes?
Ron