May 04, 2024, 02:50:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Max Cell cams ?

Started by HD/Wrench, February 08, 2018, 08:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

Took a phone this morning for a tune . Customer tells me about his kit 117 bored M8 and max cell cams gives me the specs  I have never heard of these , from a  Shop called  Jims V twin performance ..  Cam is a M838  544 lift 222/232 intake is like 14-34 ex 40/12 .

So looks like a few more cams on the market .  :up:

rigidthumper

Isn't that a lot of lift for an M8?  Def not a bolt in for any of the current HD/SE stuff.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HD/Wrench

it would need springs for sure ..  Dont know much other than what I wrote .. I did a search and found a harley shop that built a 124 and use that cam made huge tq  looked like 147 ish .. Was hard to see the sheet , but no other specs where listed so I could not say what else was done I think hp was in the 135 range ..

1FSTRK

I won't say they won't make work but I will say there is no reason to open the valves that far in a four valve head to make power.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

crewchief25H

Been using his parts since 2010, Jim Gutches is his name. Built Nascar engines for RCR, DEI and several other nascar teams for the last 20 years..  Quantico Harley uses his parts exclusively. 

1FSTRK

I do not question the guy or his skills, lots of HD guys trying to make the jump to 4 valves also.
Simply look at performance cams for hot street power on import bikes or cars and you will see what I am saying. Better yet look at the air curves for good 4 valve heads or run them on a engine sim program.

crewchief25H

February 09, 2018, 05:09:16 PM #6 Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:57:22 PM by crewchief25H
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 08, 2018, 09:28:53 AM
it would need springs for sure ..  Dont know much other than what I wrote .. I did a search and found a harley shop that built a 124 and use that cam made huge tq  looked like 147 ish .. Was hard to see the sheet , but no other specs where listed so I could not say what else was done I think hp was in the 135 range ..

2017 Limited  58HPI, stock heads only springs, std se air cleaner, fuel moto head pipe Rinehart slip ons.  127/147 is what it is.

crewchief25H

Quote from: crewchief25H on February 09, 2018, 04:54:15 PM
Been using his parts since 2010, Jim Gutches is his name. Built Nascar engines for RCR, DEI and several other nascar teams for the last 20 years..  Quantico Harley uses his parts exclusively.
I need to correct what I posted. He worked for RCR, AJ Foyt Racing, Penske Racing, Chip Ganassi Racing

harleytuner

Steve, I have a '17 CVO in for a tune with a set of these cams, heavy breather and a Thunderheader getting tuned with a Vision.  I'll E-mail you the sheet when i'm done.  As stated above, Quantico HD uses them a lot so they are somewhat popular in our area.

sfmichael

Sounds like a very talented guy. :up: 
I'm pretty shocked that an HD dealer would use aftermarket parts exclusively as warranty concerns would most certainly arise. I had to twist arms at my dealership to get them to deviate from the SE catalog and we didn't do it often.
Colorado Springs, CO.

harleytuner

Quote from: sfmichael on February 12, 2018, 04:02:11 PM

I'm pretty shocked that an HD dealer would use aftermarket parts exclusively as warranty concerns would most certainly arise. I had to twist arms at my dealership to get them to deviate from the SE catalog and we didn't do it often.

I asked my customer (Joe) if he was worried about his warranty when he dropped his bike with Max Cell cams out in at this dealer.  He said they told him it didn't effect his warranty in any way (Max Cell cams, Thunderheader and Power Vision).  Whatever they are telling these guys they're buying it ut hook line and sinker.  This is the sane dealer that cuts a neck on a nrw bike, slaps on a 26" wheel, some custom body work and paint and puts them on the floor for sale. 

This Jims Vtwin guy has used a couple other business names and his shop adress comes back to a house,  I curious how well they do, hopefully I'll get out tuned thursday.

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytuner on February 12, 2018, 05:18:18 PM

I asked my customer (Joe) if he was worried about his warranty when he dropped his bike with Max Cell cams out in at this dealer.  He said they told him it didn't effect his warranty in any way (Max Cell cams, Thunderheader and Power Vision).  Whatever they are telling these guys they're buying it ut hook line and sinker.  This is the sane dealer that cuts a neck on a nrw bike, slaps on a 26" wheel, some custom body work and paint and puts them on the floor for sale. 

This Jims Vtwin guy has used a couple other business names and his shop adress comes back to a house,  I curious how well they do, hopefully I'll get out tuned thursday.
It would be great to get info from a tuner/member with your experience. I hope you will share the data as well as your impressions of the cam and how it is to tune.
I do not see anything that would indicate it will have bad manors or lack in power but without good data we can speculate til the cows come home. 

harleytuner

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 12, 2018, 05:30:54 PM

It would be great to get info from a tuner/member with your experience. I hope you will share the data as well as your impressions of the cam and how it is to tune.
I do not see anything that would indicate it will have bad manors or lack in power but without good data we can speculate til the cows come home.

We'll see, he told me he thinks it's a 818 cam but I don't see it on the list Crewcheif posted, maybe the 808?  I'll habe to get more info before I start the tune.  I'll more than likely post the sheet in Facebook but to be honest,  I really don't GAF about posting sheets much anymore anywhere.  There's just to much B.S. in this industry to take much stock in what you see.  I'm curious to talk to Steve after he tunes his though.   Not sure what all the bike has done to it though.  Mine is a stock bore CVO with stock heads and all.  It was tuned before with a different exhaust (don't know who Did the initial tune,  I'm guessing Quantico HD). 

VDeuce

No information on the web anywhere that I could find about these.

harleytuner

Got this from my customer

turboprop

The guy is obviously shady. The spec sheet for his cams using .050" lift as a measuring point breaks of sneakiness. I bet he copied an existing cam grind and is passing it off as his own.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

harleytuner

Quote from: turboprop on February 13, 2018, 05:54:35 PM

The guy is obviously shady. The spec sheet for his cams using .050" lift as a measuring point breaks of sneakiness. I bet he copied an existing cam grind and is passing it off as his own.

Looks real close to a T-man cam if I recall.  I believe Andrews has one real similar as well.   My guess is its a copy as well

1FSTRK

Aren't all M-8 cams spec'd at .050 lift?

turboprop

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 13, 2018, 07:31:21 PM

No.

TorQuePimp

Specs at .050 make a cam sketchy  or shady ?

Everyone else does it that way.....that damn sifton guy had to go and make Harley cams ....spec them wrong..... everyone else followed suit

turboprop

February 13, 2018, 10:08:43 PM #20 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:18:17 PM by turboprop
Quote from: TorQuePimp on February 13, 2018, 09:58:28 PM
Specs at .050 make a cam sketchy  or shady ?

Everyone else does it that way.....that damn sifton guy had to go and make Harley cams ....spec them wrong..... everyone else followed suit

Wrong. No, everyone does not do it that way. But dont take my word for it. Look here:

Zippers
http://www.zippersperformance.com/index.php/downloads/dl/file/id/29/product/0/catalog_red_shift_cams.pdf

Andrews
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/catalog_pdfs/page_06_0.pdf

S&S
https://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/instructions-data/cam-specs-overview

Black Widow
http://www.crazyhorsespeedshop.com/twin-cam-engines.html

GMR
http://gmrperformance.com/products/cams/

sfmichael

been seeing cam specs measured @ .050 +/- for as long as I can remember
Colorado Springs, CO.

turboprop

Well, maybe your and the pimp should tell S&S, Andrews, RedShift, Black Widow Crane, and many others they have been doing it wrong all these years.

1FSTRK

Quote from: turboprop on February 13, 2018, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 13, 2018, 07:31:21 PM

No.

Thanks for bring that up.
That is actually valuable info right there. I would not call it shady but I missed the fact Zippers was posting M-8 cam timing at .053 like the old Harley cams instead of at .050 which is what the OEM factory specs, SE specs, and Andrews specs are for the M-8 cams. I did not see the timing lift for M-8 cams specified on the S&S, or T-man sites and neither Cyclerama or Wood give specs. This will will be something to watch for in the future to see who uses the .050 and who chooses to go back to the .053 even though the cams for 2 valve and 4 valve head are really not that comparable. 

Nastytls

For those of us that do not know, what would the difference be if measuring at .050 vs. .053? Is there a benefit to claim it's .050 instead of .053?