April 27, 2024, 07:32:48 AM

News:

17 RGU 107 loping

Started by billbeemer, February 09, 2018, 03:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbeemer

bike is stock, in heavy traffic when feathering clutch, bikes goes to super slow idle and lopes, sometimes dies.  any ideas?  it idles normally at 850, any way I can increase this a bit?

BVHOG

Quote from: billbeemer on February 09, 2018, 03:53:25 AM
bike is stock, in heavy traffic when feathering clutch, bikes goes to super slow idle and lopes, sometimes dies.  any ideas?  it idles normally at 850, any way I can increase this a bit?
Sounds to me like your going into engine temp management where it drops a cylinder.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

billbeemer

dealer will replace neutral switch on clutch lever monday,  says that's the problem.  will inform

HV

Very common issue....Bike will start in gear with clutch pulled in normally ...if its intermittent and rough idling the switch assembly is the issue
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Hossamania

How much time has been wasted chasing down that issue, thinking it's a problem with the tune or fuel and induction system?
One more step in the troubleshooting sequence.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on February 10, 2018, 08:10:58 AM
How much time has been wasted chasing down that issue, thinking it's a problem with the tune or fuel and induction system?
One more step in the troubleshooting sequence.
I can picture some guy on a dyno driving himself bonkers trying to get a good idle. :hyst: Then again if it's a common issue, no problem, right?
Ron

hd06

HV

Not all.....just every second or 3rd one  :hyst:
Skype HV.HTT

Breeze

Help!  I got lost on this thread quickly.  How does the clutch lever switch (allows bike to be started in gear) have any effect on engine idle speed?  :scratch:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rbabos

Quote from: Breeze on February 11, 2018, 04:37:29 AM
Help!  I got lost on this thread quickly.  How does the clutch lever switch (allows bike to be started in gear) have any effect on engine idle speed?  :scratch:
It's Harley magic, or quirky sensitive CanBus system.
Ron

billbeemer

don't see the connection myself,  but switch being replaced in the morn.......so will let you know.

HV

They ( the MOCO ) Say when the switch goes out it causes voltage spikes in the CanBus that confuse the system...its also connected to the Heat Management Part of the system ( Clutch position can bypass the management )   In any case when we replace them it cures the issue....we do a LOT of them ....some even stall at stops

Another issue is the Idle speed on the new bikes is no longer adjustable as in the past
Skype HV.HTT

HD/Wrench

factory calls out for 880 idle , then the heat management kicks in .. have not had on have an issue with the clutch sensor but thanks for the heads up  :up: .

But I do not leave the idle that low and I take them out of EITMS as well . As most do not like the sound at idle .. take them out of CL in the idle range problem solved ..  :wink:

rbabos

Quote from: HV on February 11, 2018, 12:13:01 PM
They ( the MOCO ) Say when the switch goes out it causes voltage spikes in the CanBus that confuse the system...its also connected to the Heat Management Part of the system ( Clutch position can bypass the management )   In any case when we replace them it cures the issue....we do a LOT of them ....some even stall at stops

Another issue is the Idle speed on the new bikes is no longer adjustable as in the past
So, when's the recall on those?
Ron

hogpipes1

Is this system on all the bikes . ? thought it was just on police bikes.  Another reason added to my list of i don't need a new one!

billbeemer

mo betta................all good on idle.

Prostock

Who wudda thunk, great info :up:

Breeze

Thanks for the information.  Even more reason that my '07 will probably be my last bike. I just can't learn as fast as they are changing. Especially electrical, which has always been a weak spot for me.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

HV

Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 12, 2018, 08:44:26 AM
Is this system on all the bikes . ? thought it was just on police bikes.  Another reason added to my list of i don't need a new one!

This is on all Bikes
Skype HV.HTT

Hossamania

Quote from: HV on February 12, 2018, 03:19:43 PM

This is on all Bikes

What year did the clutch and sidestand safety switches become standard? And is it just the M8s being affected by the faulty clutch switch?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

just one more reason to wait another year or two before updating my mount...or maybe just keep the 2013

I remember when I worked at the dealer in 2015/2016 we replaced plenty of switch modules
Colorado Springs, CO.

HV

Quote from: Hossamania on February 12, 2018, 03:29:54 PM
Quote from: HV on February 12, 2018, 03:19:43 PM

This is on all Bikes

What year did the clutch and sidestand safety switches become standard? And is it just the M8s being affected by the faulty clutch switch?

No side stand switches....Modules for the clutch switch showed up in 2014 when they went to Can Bus ....they have updated the switch Part Numbers a few times ...we didnt see the Idle/Stall issues till 17
Skype HV.HTT

PoorUB

Quote from: HV on February 12, 2018, 05:13:39 PM
No side stand switches....Modules for the clutch switch showed up in 2014 when they went to Can Bus ....they have updated the switch Part Numbers a few times ...we didnt see the Idle/Stall issues till 17

Clutch switch started in '08, P/N 71620-08
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HV

Havent seen any issues with the stand alone switches...just the integrated Module ones in the Can Bus Bikes
Skype HV.HTT

PoorUB

The clutch switch on my 2010 didn't work when I traded it in. I'm not sure how long before it had failed.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!