May 09, 2024, 04:42:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My last Harley has left the garage

Started by Mike52, May 19, 2009, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike52

I've been thinking about this for a long time, selling my Street Glide, my last Harley (the Springer was sold last Nov). I rode it to work Sunday morning (I work at a HD dealer), paid the detail guy $50 to wash, wax and polish the chrome. It went on the sales floor at 3:30, we closed at 4:00. Monday morning we opened the doors at 9:00, it was sold before 10:00!!! I couldn't believe it, I was shocked. The buyer didn't bat an eye at the price, I got my asking price, the company made some money, everyone was very happy. Oh well, one chapter closes, another begins, the '32 Ford 3 window Coupe project just shifted into 2nd gear!!!   :soda:

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

CndUltra88

Cant wait till 3rd Gear starts to burn.....
Keep us posted,
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Clintster

I've heard of it happening it hasn't happened to me personally..."Potty mouth" I hope you still come around.  Good luck with the Hot Rod, I assume with  your history it is going to be a hot rod not a restoration.  I always said when I loose the taste for riding I have a particular American convertible in mind.  I don't want even to mention it as they are getting more costly every day.  But I still need that therapy with mthe knees in the breeze...It would be nice to keep all the toys, but that is not practical. YOu know go over and start it up, just to hear it.  Do come around and share the information you have accumulated.  Good Luck !! :smiled:
Drive fast, take chances

odotb

I'll be 60 in September and lately I have been thinking of getting out more and more. Been riding some kind of motorcycle for close to 50 years. I don't know if it's the age thing or it just isn't what it used to be. I still enjoy it but nothing like I used to. I guess everything has a beginning and an end. It may be time to watch the chickens peck.

Good luck with the coupe.

RK101

Mike congrats on selling the bike. I'm the same way, when I finally realize that the day has come that I don't enjoy riding anymore I'll have no problem walking away. I'm not there yet but I'm not saying I haven't thought about it once or twice.
I've always wanted to buy a car just like my first car (56 Chevy Belair 2dr Hardtop). Maybe it is and age thing, I don't know. Maybe it just that things change and motorcycle riding isn't what it used to be for us anymore. They say, To everything there is a season, and when one season is over you move on to the next ,and a hot rod  three window coupe sounds like a nice thing to move onto. Good luck my friend........RK101
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Grumpy : (

Mike, sorry to hear you're going to quit riding.  But as you say the time has come.  I hope you'll take pics of the '32 project and post them. 

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

TwistedSister

Wow  Mike. . . .  what  a  surprize  to  read  this.  Terry  still  have  her's?

Good  luck  on  the  new  project. . . .  bet  it'll  be  sweet !!!
Drinking doesn't cause hangovers... waking up  does...
TS
SW Arkisaw USN RET

04fatty

Twisted said it, "Wow". You were like a fixture here Mike. Hope you stick around with advice and please do post pics of your new project.

Big Dan

Best of luck with the new project, Mike. But I won't be too surprised if you get re-bitten by the bike bug.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

joepenoso

Hey Mike sorry to see you go.
I'm still using that carb you sold me a few years back.
joepenoso

truck

Good luck on your project car and don't be a stranger here.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

DblackmanC

Follow your dream...Good luck. BUT like Dan said that bug is out there and can bit again. I walked away 15 years ago. Got bit again and now I have 46K on my '06.
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

76shuvlinoff

I'm only 49 (yeah, I said only  :wink:) During the last 40 years I've stepped away from bikes more than once but I keep coming back. It's a sickness.... and a cure.

Good luck with the rod!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

apendejo

Dang Mike!!!!!!!!!!
Difference between a bike and a hot rod is the hot rod is just a bigger target on the garage floor to shoot $$ at. That and most hot rod projects never get completed. You will be back on a bike pretty soon I predict.
Best of luck.
AP

Mike52

Thanks everyone, I don't plan on leaving HTT, you're going to have to put up with me for a LONG time. Working at the dealer keeps me connected to the bikes, I've had to leave them before for various reasons, yet I still come back to 2 wheels, you're right Mark, it is a sickness. The back problems, the surgery 1½ years ago and the recovery was what really turned down the flame, not being able to ride or work on bikes during the recovery period dimmed the passion a lot.

Ray, you are welcome to bother me any time you're around Tampa, the BBQ will still be on me.

Joe, it's hard to realize, but that Mikuni deal was 6 years ago.

Clint, it will be a hot rod not a resto, I still have 'the need for speed'. I've saved these pics for ideas and inspiration (along with about 150 others), hopefully it will look like one of these when finished.

Mike

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Dennis The Menace

Mike, running an errand to the store last weekend, I got behind a cherry Willys hot rod.  Very nice.  Got a little 2nd gear scratch pulling out of the parking lot, and he wasnt even getting on it!  I can understand your passion.  Myself, I just wouldnt have the time...so, good luck and post pics here for us to salivate over.

Dennis

Horizonmech

I walked away for most of the 90's...looked around at how some of my friend's were living and just had to say  "i'm not going down that road"....I live much better for it now....I'm just sayin....congrats !!
"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

JamLazyAss

Yep, I've sold my last Harley too, about a dozen times. 
Kind of like quiting cigarettes.
Best of luck on the rod.  :bf:   Hmm, maybe you can paint your next Harley to match the Rod  :up: :up:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Reddog74usa

I guess it'll be tough runnin for parts in your 69 Camaro for the Rod project Huh Mike. The rest of em may believe you but I know.
                                         YOU'LL BE BACK :wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Princess Butt

At one point I was about to hang up the leathers and take up something new. It was back in 2000, when all my friends had sold out their bikes, and I was riding alone - a lot. I considered getting into other bikes, or maybe something else.

I washed the Road King up really nice, and hopped on it for one last ride before I put it up for sale. Just meandering one day, out into the hills, over into West Virginia. I realized, once I got far enough away, that I liked riding too much to give it up.

Funny thing is, one friend is back on the bike, another wishes he had never sold it. Mines sitting in the corner of the parking lot, waiting for the ride home this afternoon. Not a bad deal.

Good thing I kept riding, too. My wife wouldn't have bothered with me unless I rode, and look what happened. She won't let me sell them off. I gotta have at least one. Doesn't matter if it's mac and cheese for dinner every night, we gotta have one.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

low_rider1979

Hey Mike, I guess you didn't listen. :hyst:  And some think Harley's are a "money pit"  I saw a nice 32 Highboy this past weekend.  All the comforts of home too. Keep the photos coming.
jim
HTT member since 2002

JohnC

You'll be back on two wheels, wait and see.  Same thing kinda happened to me.  After getting spooked by a couple of inattentive cagers, I hastily sold both my bikes and bought a psuedo hot rod (Chrsyler Prowler).  For the first year or so, it was fun to drive around and tinker with, but whenever a bike went by, I had to stop what I was doing to watch it pass.  I continued to visit my riding friends and even went as far as attending our annual rally at Eureka Springs driving my pretty car.  It was depressing to see all my friends roll away while I hung out at the hotel. 

I had to get back on two wheels.  I now have an '06 Ultra Classic and the Prowler sits in the garage on a battery tender....
JohnC - Kechi, KS

76shuvlinoff

I'm thinking if I can keep it upright and finances permitting there will probably always be a bike in the stable. 

You should hear the names I call the folks that ride past my house when I can't ride.   :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Emptypockets

When my back or legs get bad enough that holding up my Eglide becomes a problem, well, I already have my sidecar picked out. I kind of like those Libertys made in Washington State. With a reverse gear.