April 26, 2024, 08:54:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How about a Woods tw8 in 124 build?

Started by guesscrazy, October 10, 2019, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 22, 2019, 04:57:59 PM
At 124" you will need a -18cc piston. Lots of luck finding that, or the heads need to be opened up considerably.
I would do the 124" with water 110 CVO heads myself and a tman 590 cam. J&B would probably be on a similar page. They have dynoed builds that used my heads. The results are on here and on the CVO forum.
Don , please tell me why you like the tman590 over the S&S585.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

kd

I can't speak for Don but I do agree with him. The Tman 590 and it's big brother the 660sm are performers when set up right.   They are quiet, have good manners, start out early (2500 ish) with arm stretching flat torque and won't stop pulling harder until the limiter (6200).  Compare some examples between the 2 (or 3) cams in the dyno section and you'll get the idea.
KD

guesscrazy

Woods 777 in a 124 touring build. I know very little about cams in general and nothing of this 777.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Ohio HD

guesscrazy

Ohio HD

October 24, 2019, 03:20:14 AM #55 Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:14:36 AM by Ohio HD
First thing you need to do is go to all of the cam manufacturers web sites and see what cams can be purchased as gear drive. That narrows things down. Then you can take many cams that will get suggested right off the table since they aren't available in gear drive.

Easily obtainable cams in gear drive, S&S 585, S&S 625, CR 630i. Yes there are others, but I'm not running down the list from each web site. I run S&S 625 cams. They're quiet, they sound good at idle, they have great low speed manors, and they make a good wide torque band with the proper exhaust.

This is why I say speak to who will build / tune the bike. The best cam and a worst exhaust will kill the way it runs.

Hillside Motorcycle

We use either T-Man 662-2's or Wood 9F's in our Sport-Touring 117"-124"s.
4 currently being built, as the 5th was completed Monday.
With a 58mm, and Rhinehart duals....140/144, with very quick torque delivery.
66mm Hog and a Borezilla would have shown more.....worked with what he had.

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

There is no best cam or exhaust out of the context of the heads.
My heads generally speaking do not need any added exhaust duration and if opened too soon this kills torque but will help horsepower if everything else cooperates, the combination.
Heads I refer to are OEM castings or cvo 110.

I was going to use a tman 590 in my 117". Instead I was able to trade  a new cr575 for a CR595i. It's posted in the dyno section.

Im curious how the cr595i cam would do at 124", though I now have a tman 590ps2 that will be going in a 124" at some point. saving $ and compiling parts :)

The specs on the 590 are different now... haven't seen a dyno with the latest version. Don posted a 124" with the old 590 in the dyno section that looks pretty darn great.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 24, 2019, 03:20:14 AM
First thing you need to do is go to all of the cam manufacturers web sites and see what cams can be purchased as gear drive. That narrows things down. Then you can take many cams that will get suggested right off the table since they aren't available in gear drive.

Easily obtainable cams in gear drive, S&S 585, S&S 625, CR 630i. Yes there are others, but I'm not running down the list from each web site. I run S&S 625 cams. They're quiet, they sound good at idle, they have great low speed manors, and they make a good wide torque band with the proper exhaust.

This is why I say speak to who will build / tune the bike. The best cam and a worst exhaust will kill the way it runs.
I have VH Powerduals with Rineharts and both shops think they are fine for a 124.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 24, 2019, 04:11:56 AM
May call another shop and be willing to drive further. Both shops I have visited and called don't recommend the wood 9f.
They say too much lift and compression for a long distance touring bike going to areas of lesser quality fuel.Both want to use a hpi55-58 tbody. These 2 shops are both 3 hours from my house.

Don D

Still the cam will be a choice out of the context of the whole build.
Getting the compression down would be my first goal with the 82cc heads if you go up to 124" or get rid of them and use 110 wet heads. There are some that are even converting the wet bikes to air cooled. Let the porter decide on the cam and help with getting the compression lined up.

nosjunkie

October 25, 2019, 06:33:40 AM #62 Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:17:00 AM by rigidthumper
Quote from: guesscrazy on October 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM
May call another shop and be willing to drive further. Both shops I have visited and called don't recommend the wood 9f.
They say too much lift and compression for a long distance touring bike going to areas of lesser quality fuel.Both want to use a hpi55-58 tbody. These 2 shops are both 3 hours from my house.

I think shops try to steer guys away from high comp motors in touring bikes is more to riding style than the weight.. When you on a long ride you dont downshift as often... You just roll more throttle to it. Lugging it... DEATH for a big motor.. I have many hard miles (I ride it hard.. not that it was abused.. its well maintained.. but gets regular floggings).. I live in California.. which has "Potty mouth" fuel.. ALL the time.... I have 2 124" motors.. one with a Mik 48 and the other with a HPI 62mm efi.

As others have mentioned.. Spend some time in the DYNO thread.. Read all the combos which are 124".. you will see a trend of what been tried and proven..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Barrett

There's a few 124"s in the dyno section with HPI 55/58's. I don't think they're being held back any and from what the owners say the throttle response is great.

RTMike

I'm in the same boat with a 15 CVO 110 limited Twin Cooled.Thinking of a moderate cam and compression 10-10.4 with head work and a good exhaust. :potstir:

itsafatboy

I would use the TW8 over the 585 , but it can be noisy, the 590 is pretty much the Tw8G just a smoother exhaust ramp so not so noisy, if you don't want to do the .650 lift Tw9F for long drive bike , I would look at the TW9BG great cam , so I have ran all those in my 116" at 11.2 comp, 

the TW9F with a +4 key was a beast ,
the Tw8g was great cam 132hp 140tq , just seemed very touchy in bigger motor,
the TW9BG - I run at a +2 but love the cam and it is quitter than the tw8G, (the noise is just how the valve hits with woods quick ramp closing sped)

just my opinion, I did love the tw8 low overlap , just a great cam     

Ohio HD

Quote from: nosjunkie on October 25, 2019, 06:33:40 AM
Quote from: guesscrazy on October 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM

I think shops try to steer guys away from high comp motors in touring bikes is more to riding style than the weight.. When you on a long ride you dont downshift as often... You just roll more throttle to it. Lugging it... DEATH for a big motor.. I have many hard miles (I ride it hard.. not that it was abused.. its well maintained.. but gets regular floggings).. I live in California.. which has "Potty mouth" fuel.. ALL the time.... I have 2 124" motors.. one with a Mik 48 and the other with a HPI 62mm efi.

As others have mentioned.. Spend some time in the DYNO thread.. Read all the combos which are 124".. you will see a trend of what been tried and proven..

Exactly.   :up:      And you can have detonation all the while and never hear it.

As well the guy tuning it needs to know how it will be ridden. Are you trying to make a big dyno sheet, or is this bike going to actually be ridden in at times the worst possible of conditions. So picking a tuner and builder is as important, or even more important than the cams used.

guesscrazy

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 11, 2019, 04:23:36 AM
Good cam, 9F is better in that application, or a least here.
Scott, what ccp do your 124  builds with 9F cams run? I have been in areas where 87 and 91 octane are all that is available.

No Cents

to the OP (this is my take, and only my take on building a 124 for everyday riding)...get yourself a set of 110 heads and have your cases bored to go 124. Get a 4 5/8" stroke S&S crank or a Darkhorse crank and do a Timkens conversion so you have a solid foundation to work with. Put a set of gear drive CR630i cams in it. I've played the cam game in the past and I finally found a set of cams that I am totally satisfied with. The CR630i's deliver. Have the compression set close to 11.00:1, and with a "proper tune" you will have an engine that will pull hard from every rpm...not be noisy, and you can ride it all day long without it batting an eye. A HPI 58mm t/body will work just fine in a build like I'm describing. You need to tell your head porter what cams and pipe your going to run. I used wfolarry for the porting on my 110 heads...and his work just flat out delivers the goods.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Barrett on October 25, 2019, 07:10:09 AM
There's a few 124"s in the dyno section with HPI 55/58's. I don't think they're being held back any and from what the owners say the throttle response is great.

66mm/58mm back/back testing shows different here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 27, 2019, 06:46:42 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 11, 2019, 04:23:36 AM
Good cam, 9F is better in that application, or a least here.
Scott, what ccp do your 124  builds with 9F cams run? I have been in areas where 87 and 91 octane are all that is available.

195 ccp.
BTW, HD service manual wants 91 octane in a bone-stock bike.

Barrett

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 30, 2019, 03:26:29 AM

There's a couple of Mega Flo builds in the dyno section that look pretty dang good for being held back then.

Nastytls

Quote from: Barrett on October 30, 2019, 05:18:13 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 30, 2019, 03:26:29 AM

There's a couple of Mega Flo builds in the dyno section that look pretty dang good for being held back then.

You said 55/58 and he came back with 66/58. Apples and oranges.

Barrett

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127