April 26, 2024, 10:18:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Painting with HD Paint

Started by Helmwurst, October 31, 2019, 03:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helmwurst

So, went by the local dealership today to check pricing on Laguna Orange paint. I was shocked, the paint was actually cheaper than the local jobber, AND, another customer had been adding other body parts painted to his bike and it matches perfectly !! Spot On he says, so I ask what primer? Harley sells primer too, but I wondered what the other guy was using, talked to his painter to get a quote and was told, they use shop grade 2 part epoxy primer and shop grade clear.
Now my question to you experienced painters, what are the steps to repaint a HD Factory part (Injection molded), from one color to another?
I guess, sand down old paint with like 600 or a red 3M scotch pad, primer, base coat w/activator, top pearl coat, clear then color sand and polish?
Has this already been covered? I am curious.. I have used ColorRite spray can for small parts in the past, but this is a bigger job and to be fair, the spray can job did not lay down the pear/metal flake very well.