April 25, 2024, 10:24:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pinion bearing install

Started by tdrglide, January 07, 2020, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Installing new right side pinion bearing in 03 case. Manual says lube outside of bearing with a little oil before pressing. Since there is nothing in the case to retain this bearing other than the interference fit, wouldn't a bearing retaining loctite be a better idea?
Thanks

FXDBI

Quote from: tdrglide on January 07, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Installing new right side pinion bearing in 03 case. Manual says lube outside of bearing with a little oil before pressing. Since there is nothing in the case to retain this bearing other than the interference fit, wouldn't a bearing retaining loctite be a better idea?
Thanks

Nope! Follow the manual .  Bob

Hybredhog

Later model years used some button head screws on 2 sides to act as a retainers. I never seen any walk, but with some really shifted wheels, it could I imagine. Wouldn't be that hard to drill & tap a couple holes.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

jsachs1

I drill and tap for 2 button head bolts, like Harley does on some of their cases. :up:
John

Coyote

Not the best picture but you can see the screws.

[attach=0,msg1329261]

tdrglide

I know about the screws on the later year cases but have never actually seen them. Do those screws heads actually touch or come close to the bearing. Bearing sits quite a ways in from the bearing boss outside surface. Don't have a mill. Only a drill pres.

By the way,  flywheel will be new s&s so not too worried about runout. Will measure of course.

Coyote

I'm pretty sure the bearing, when installed, was not in contact with the screws.

kd

Didn't one of the members here make a collar to do that?  There's a thread on his process but I am away and on my phone only.  Maybe search it or someone can remember who it was and find it.
KD

tdrglide

Having seen other press fit bearings and races walk in the past was just wondering if this was ever an issue with this bearing assembly. A circlip on the outboard side might have been a good idea. Was surprised when I read to use oil for press. Was expecting some special harley bearing retainer adhesive or such.
This is going to be a 124 sport/touring