April 26, 2024, 09:55:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cams or rockers for 95"

Started by Ottawaair, March 07, 2020, 03:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawaair

Hey guys,  been a member here for long time but never posted. 
Don't attack me,  I've been reading all the stickys and searching threads.   Just want the latest info for my application.
Looking to upgrade cams in my bike. 
2002 dyna tsport.  95" with SE 10.25cr pistons,  .030" head gaskets,  mild ported heads, larger valves  (1.9" and 1.7" ?? Can't recall exactly) SE springs, hsr42,  danmoto cheap pipe, crane ignition box. 
When I built it, I installed 204 cams.  I've been very happy with them,  but I'm looking for more now. 
I built the motor knowing I would upgrade cams later, and knowing the 204's were fairly small. 
Bike has tons of low end power and pulls good throughout,  but I know I'm sacrificing some mid to top end grunt. 
So, been kicking around going to 1.7 rockers as a quick gain,  but I know a cam swap is really the best bet. 
My head hurts from reading cam specs. 
What are you guy's opinions.   I don't want to kill the bottom end in favor of top end,  but I think I have plenty of bottom end grunt to spare. 

I have a bagger for the long haul,  so its kinda my play bike.   Just looking to wake it up. 

PoorUB

Seems to me the pre-'06 were limited to how much lift they could handle, I forget the numbers, but right around .500". So you might be in for head work too. Also the early cases need to be clearanced for larger cams lobes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

I had an 01 superglide I was going to build. Sold it, but here was my plan. Bore to 98", get the heads ported and milled to achieve 10.8:1 and set heads to run a tr590 gear drive. Pipe was going to be bassani pro streets, same carb as you but Daytona ignition. I figured that combo would keep as much torque as possible in a 98" but still crank in the upper rpm ranges  :scoot:

Ohio HD

If you're not changing anything else, I'd look at the Andrews TW50. Rockers are a spin of the wheel as to their effectiveness. They may help a little, may not help at all. TW50 is not a low end cam, but if the compression is truly at 10.25:1, it should be fine.

Ottawaair

I didn't actually calculate the ratio.  Just going from the se pistons.   
Cranking compression is 205 with the 204 cams. 
I'll look into those cams as I haven't seen them before. 
But, not looking for straight top end performance.
Just looking for a little more,  as the 204's lay down a little early. 
Thanks for your input.   Always looking for options. 

FSG

QuoteSo, been kicking around going to 1.7 rockers as a quick gain,  but I know a cam swap is really the best bet

:up:  go the cam

kd

KD

spunky_man

considering that you already got the S.E. valve spring you don't want to go the andrews tw 50's as i think there only 510 lift. why not go for the woods tw 8g for the extra lift at 590 lift and a little more agressive ramp to help with the top end with the avantage of losing nothing on the bottom as what Ottawaair said the 204's give 205 ccc's and the tw8 would only drop it to 195 ccc's. it what i should of done with mine. i love my woods tw6hg cams, but would of been over the moon with the tw8's.
thanks
Baz

Don D

If the valve springs can take the lift and you have an honest 10.25:1 I would use an Andrews TW54 advanced 4°. Been done before successfully with my heads.

Dogbone45ACP

I second the Andrews 54 advanced 4, been running it for several years with Don's heads.

rigidthumper

Depending on chamber size, using the HD 10.25 rated pistons with Cometic .030 x 3.950" head gaskets, puts you above 10.25:1 static.
83CC chambers=10.54 (Should crank ~210 with 204s)
84CC chambers=10.42 (Should crank ~207 with 204s)
85CC chambers=10.31 (Should crank ~204 with 204s) (Based on your cranking compression, this is where I believe you are)

Have you had it on a drum to see what you have now?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ottawaair

I'm not certain the cc of the heads.  They're the stock '02 , 88ci heads.  But, cc is probably different from stock because of the bigger valves. ??   

No, I've not had it on a dyno.  Always planned to but never got it down to the shop. 
I have a couple bikes,  and when I built this one,  it didn't get ridden much. 
That changed last summer when I started getting out on it more often. 
That's what has me looking for options to squeeze a little more outta it. 

Hillside Motorcycle

As long as the springs will accommodate the .590 lift, a Wood 6H, will work VERY well indeed.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

sfmichael

In my experience, the 204 carried out nicely past 5000 rpm

I'd be interested in seeing your dyno sheet

I switched from the SE204 to the Andrews 54 and was not impressed.
Colorado Springs, CO.