April 26, 2024, 12:56:16 AM

News:

chain tensioner alignment ??

Started by jmorton10, March 20, 2020, 06:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

I just installed the Vulcan 32 tooth engine sprocket & tensioner setup:

https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/32-tooth-primary-chain-tensioner-for-6-speed-twin-cam-bagger-flh-flt.html

The manual chain adjuster is not lining up very well with the primary chain, the chain is riding all the way to the back of the adjuster shoe instead of down the middle like they usually do.

Since there is really no way to adjust it, I guess that's just how it is but has anybody else with this setup noticed this??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

IMO, if it's running fully on the pad and not so close to the edge that it can work it's way off it should be OK.  In fact, because it tracks more to the inside edge may be better.  The mechanical advantage under extreme use (you know what that is  :hyst: ) if it's to the outside will be more apt to bend the mounting bracket than if it favors the inside.
KD

jmorton10

March 20, 2020, 09:24:31 AM #2 Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:31:27 AM by jmorton10
Yeah I know all about bending brackets LOL.

The original POS Baker "attitude adjuster" bent the bracket like crazy & then when I added the "upgrade kit" to modify it so it would be the same as the newer "armored adjuster" it broke the add-on piece into three pieces.

I'm not sure what happened, but I had the engine sprocket TQ'ed to 175 ft lbs & the clutch hub TQ'ed to 80 & the primary chain play set to around 3/4".

I started it for about 30 seconds & when I shut it down the chain was centered on the shoe & the primary chain was WAY too loose.  I readjusted the tensioner & now it's running perfectly so I'm not really sure what happened ????

~John

EDIT: KD, I ended up using the S&S race, so if you want my Baker bearing for a spare -DM me & I'll send it to you.
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

hattitude

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 20, 2020, 09:24:31 AM
Yeah I know all about bending brackets LOL.

The original POS Baker "attitude adjuster" bent the bracket like crazy & then when I added the "upgrade kit" to modify it so it would be the same as the newer "armored adjuster" it broke the add-on piece into three pieces.

I'm not sure what happened, but I had the engine sprocket TQ'ed to 175 ft lbs & the clutch hub TQ'ed to 80 & the primary chain play set to around 3/4".

I started it for about 30 seconds & when I shut it down the chain was centered on the shoe & the primary chain was WAY too loose.  I readjusted the tensioner & now it's running perfectly so I'm not really sure what happened ????

~John

EDIT: KD, I ended up using the S&S race, so if you want my Baker bearing for a spare -DM me & I'll send it to you.

Glad you got it working properly...

I have the Vulcan 32 tooth sprocket and tensioner on my bench, waiting to go into my 124" bagger.

In your first post you mentioned, "Since there is really no way to adjust it."  I have looked mine over, and I noticed the tensioner IS adjustable... I just needed to find a thin wrench to move the adjustment screw, once the locking bolt is loosened... It appears you've figured that out, or I misunderstood your comment...

Anyways, post up your impressions of how it works out if you have the time... I'd be interested to hear your review... going to be a month or so before I can install mine...

jmorton10

I didn't mean that the tension wasn't adjustable, I meant that the alignment in/out has no adjustment.  It is just bolted in & that's that.

Sorry if what I posted was confusing, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to cause it to be all out of whack like it was.  I've never had that happen before.....

I'll post my impression of how the setup works shortly, I still have a few things to finish up on it & then I'll have it running again.

~John

No Cents

John...is it possible your have the tensioner on the wrong way?   :nix:   ...just asking.
Looking at Vulcan's picture it looks like it could easy be installed backwards. I would think the chain would ride straight down the center of the shoe itself with the chain having full contact across the arc of the shoe.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

jmorton10

LOL Ray, it wouldn't be the first time I did something stupid like that but I don't think that's the case here. 

https://i.imgur.com/jQIzSZq.jpg

I'm still not really sure what happened here, I've never had this happen before but it's running just right now so who knows ??

~John

FSG

John what's going on with the tensioner mounting bolts ?

jmorton10

I had one break off years ago & fall into the primary so I got into the habit of putting a dab of silicone on the heads after I tighten them.  I know, it's totally unnecessary but it's just something I've done for years & don't figure it hurts anything...........

~John

Ohio HD

Loctite 243 on the threads. Easily removed with hand tools.

No Cents

I had to ask the question...but I figured you had in right.   :up:
That picture looks like the chain and shoe are in their happy spot.   :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

jmorton10

Everything looks fine now   :up: :up:

~John

jmorton10

March 22, 2020, 04:51:33 PM #12 Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:21:14 PM by jmorton10
Finished buttoning the rest of it up today & took it for a short ride (I was freezing my @ss off) to make sure everything worked correctly.

The Vulcan setup works great although I can definitely hear the twin-power manual adjuster whining a bit. The Baker adjuster I removed made the same noise originally when it was new but quieted down in a few hundred miles so I imagine this one will do the same.

The noise is no big deal & doesn't bother me at all but some people might be bothered by it.  I'm quite happy with the GrudgeBox, it shifts very smoothly & clicks into neutral effortlessly at a dead stop.

I need to recalibrate the gear indicator in my Dakota Digital speedo but that's no big deal (I rarely look at it anyway but I figure it's there it might as well work).  After running two different versions of the Vulcan solid engine sprocket & manual adjuster I will never go back to a compensator or auto adjuster.

~John

hattitude

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 22, 2020, 04:51:33 PM

The Vulcan setup works great although I can definitely hear the twin-power manual adjuster whining a bit. The Baker adjuster I removed made the same noise originally when it was new but quieted down in a few hundred miles so I imagine this one will do the same.

The noise is no big deal & doesn't bother me at all but some people might be bothered by it. 

After running two different versions of the Vulcan solid engine sprocket & manual adjuster I will never go back to a compensator or auto adjuster.

~John

Thanks for the review...  :up:

I hope to have mine installed within the month....

jmorton10

One qualification I might add is, although the Vulcan setup works fantastic I don't think I would use it with any motor that has stock flywheels in it.

I scissored a set of stock flywheels with only 1900 miles on the motor (which broke the oil pump impeller & trashed the entire motor).  That motor is on a shelf in my shop now LOL.

I bought the bike from a buddy of mine who was broke. It was a 117" motor with Axtell barrels etc. but he had it built with the stock lower end to save $ & it let go with just under 2000 miles on it.

I now have a 124" motor with all S&S parts in the lower end, so that should hold up OK with the solid sprocket.

~John

hattitude

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 12:42:37 PM

One qualification I might add is, although the Vulcan setup works fantastic I don't think I would use it with any motor that has stock flywheels in it.
I now have a 124" motor with all S&S parts in the lower end, so that should hold up OK with the solid sprocket.

~John

I feel the same way, even though I've never personally scissored an OEM bottom end.......

I have the FuelMoto spec'd 124" S&S crate engine installed, they call it the 124" Street Outlaw, because it has S&S heads with their "outlaw" valve job....it has all the good S&S bottom end stuff...

Hope to put the Vulcan sprocket in within a few weeks.... trying to wait on delivery of another part so I can get it on and off the lift just the one time....

I'm really enjoying the hell out of riding this bike, I'll let my other bike rest on the lift....

TexTerry

Go on YouTube and look up Pro Twin Performance and he has a video talking to Darkhorse about their new compensator they have developed. It's on the video Harley cranks and comps its on the 2nd part both parts are about 2hrs long but very informative. Its a rebuild able comp if you ever need. They have a 34 tooth and a 32 being for the trikes.

jmorton10

Hope to put the Vulcan sprocket in within a few weeks....

I am now running  30 tooth Vulcan sprocket with a 58 tooth rear sprocket.  Boy did those gears wake it up!!

It still cruises just fine with the 6th gear OD in the Baker Grudgebox.

This gearing reminds me of my old muscle car/street drag days when I regularly ran 4.88 gears.

~John

hattitude

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 22, 2020, 03:29:50 AM
Hope to put the Vulcan sprocket in within a few weeks....

I am now running  30 tooth Vulcan sprocket with a 58 tooth rear sprocket.  Boy did those gears wake it up!!

It still cruises just fine with the 6th gear OD in the Baker Grudgebox.

This gearing reminds me of my old muscle car/street drag days when I regularly ran 4.88 gears.

~John

Wow.... that's pretty low gearing.... I've toyed with the idea of a 49T gear if I upgrade the clutch basket... but think I would go back to a 34T engine sprocket (probably Dark Horse) not sure I want 32T motor sprocket AND 49T clutch sprocket... I do a lot of 75-80mph freeway cruising around here...

I have the Vulcan 32 tooth sprocket installed for awhile now... I like the slightly lower gearing and on the SoCal 75-80mph traffic flow, I am only running about 250-300rpm more than with the OEM 34T compensator...

The primary chain/tensioner made some noise at first, but it has quieted down a bunch with some break-in mileage on the new shoe...

kd

A 49 tooth basket will take some of the book out of that lower primary chain too.   :teeth:
KD

brent

i am assuming that tensioner will work with man of war 32 tooth compensator

hattitude

Quote from: brent on August 24, 2020, 09:54:33 AM

I would think it would..... BUT....

I sent an email to Darkhorse, asking that very question. They said they couldn't say, they are unfamiliar with that tensioner and it's never been tested with their Man-O-War compensator... They said they bought out the Rivera Primo tensioner shoes and they work well...

I responded, asking them for the diameter of their Man-O-War gear... I was going to compare it to to the Vulcan sprocket... they never got back to me...

kouack

Quote from: hattitude on August 25, 2020, 09:48:48 AM

I responded, asking them for the diameter of their Man-O-War gear... I was going to compare it to to the Vulcan sprocket... they never got back to me...
The diameter of the sprocket will have to be the same if using the same chain pitch otherwise something is very wrong i would think 🤔

hattitude

Quote from: kouack on August 25, 2020, 10:09:38 AM
Quote from: hattitude on August 25, 2020, 09:48:48 AM

The diameter of the sprocket will have to be the same if using the same chain pitch otherwise something is very wrong i would think 🤔

That's exactly what I am thinking. I was just hoping to confirm it...

John D

Sorry for any lack of info provided, not sure how it slipped through the cracks here, but yes, a 32T sprocket will be exactly same size as our 32T Man O-War sprocket.

Just so everyone is updated, our 34T Man O-War sprockets for both TwinCam and M8s will be ready to ship again by Monday 8/31.  We have another 500 coming through heat treat currently.  Our manufacturing is working as hard as they can to keep up with demand. 

Until we have a bullet proof method of addressing chain tension on TwinCam 32T sprockets they are not as high of priority as 34T in all honesty.  We love the 32T product and there certainly is a good market for it, but with the overwhelming demand for 34T sprockets we need to do our best to keep up with that demand.  At 1 point last week we had 6 CNC (mills & lathes) working on product for this. 

Our Newest HAAS is dedicated full time to production of sprockets and hubs! 

We just made a slight change to tooth profile in this latest production run to make the sprocket (and chain) more forgiving in chain alignment issues.  It keeps getting better and we are fully commited to giving everyone the absolute best product we can!