April 26, 2024, 03:58:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Millennium cylinders?

Started by BigT, April 16, 2020, 03:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I am helping a friend with a new to him 2008 TwinCam with 35,000 miles that has a few issues. He doesn't know the history of the prior motor work. The bike is burning oil and has a 25% leak down on the rear and 10% on the front. Pulled the rear cylinder and it has "Millennium" cast on the outside of the cylinder but nothing on the front cylinder.  The bore looks to be 3.935. Any idea if these might be plated cylinders? What cu. in would that make it with the stock crank?
The engine also has a pretty bad shake at idle. The crankshaft runout was .0035. The motor mounts are tight. What would cause excessive shake other than a poorly balanced crank?

calif phil

thirdjld

It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Don D

You picked the worse of the two, so what was leaking?

Coyote

Ohio HD

Do they look like these jewels?     :emoGroan:

[attach=0]

kd

How about compression balance. 
KD

BigT

Quote from: HD Street Performance on April 16, 2020, 06:01:34 PM
You picked the worse of the two, so what was leaking?
We could hear the air coming through the open cam chest so it looks to be an issue with ring seal. I had to leave after the we did the leak down test and my friend started to tear it apart and measured the cylinder diameter. I am heading back over there today to check it out.

prodrag1320

nikasil cylinders,we wont use them here.never have ,never will

Buglet

Not to get of the subject but I just seen a new M 8 40% leak down. I know that not right but what going on when you buy a new bike. Is this what Harley allowing now. 

Don D

My opinion of air cooled nikasil coated aluminum cylinders, not relevant. Broken is broken.
Uneven compression is the shake.
Now the fix, use OEM cylinders bored and honed properly and a 107" KB line2line coated pistons, fixed.
I have cylinders and the pistons in stock.

PoorUB

It would be interesting to know if the one cylinder is standard cast iron bore and the other appears to be nikasil. Perhaps the front cylinder took a dump, someone swapped it out, leaving he rear alone and sold the bike.

BigT, have you tore down the front cylinder ?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

aswracing

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 17, 2020, 04:44:19 AM
nikasil cylinders,we wont use them here.never have ,never will

Smart man.

I wish I had been so smart. I had to learn the lesson the hard way.

Raleigh111

Nickel Silicon Carbide Plating on aluminum cylinders has a great place to live in the  liquid cooled world. Not so great of a reputation in big twin air cooled. They dont seem to like to stay O .. Keep us posted on the other cylinder.
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

Eglider05

Just throw them in the trash and don't look back.

Rick

JW113

Not an advocate of Nikasil either, but... BMW used it on their '81 and later airheads, with great success. Why you suppose that is? 250,000 miles on a top end is not uncommon. Much less stroke, piston velocity, and rod angle? Just trying to understand why it does not work in the Harley world when it has a proven record in the beemer-verse. Or is it maybe not Nikasil per say, but related to the supplier and how they make them?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Could it be the angle of thrust difference between a V twin and an opposed cylinder layout?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: JW113 on April 17, 2020, 09:42:41 AM
Not an advocate of Nikasil either, but... BMW used it on their '81 and later airheads, with great success. Why you suppose that is? 250,000 miles on a top end is not uncommon. Much less stroke, piston velocity, and rod angle? Just trying to understand why it does not work in the Harley world when it has a proven record in the beemer-verse. Or is it maybe not Nikasil per say, but related to the supplier and how they make them?

-JW

Short answer.....BMW isn't using wiseco pistons

JW113

That is certainly true! So what is Wiseco bringing that spoils the party? Too much piston/cyl clearance?

-JW

BigT

The front cylinder looked good. The rear cylinder was pretty scored up. Decided to use a set of seasoned 96" cylinders bored out to 103" with 10:1 CP-Carrillo pistons. I have no idea what make the old pistons were but the oil ring on the Carrillo pistons looks to be twice as wide.

Buglet

Moto Guzzi use Nikasil cylinders and they are a V twin air cooled.

PoorUB

I am guessing that anyone that uses Nikasil successfully has one hell of a lot more engineering into them than anyone that builds them for Harleys.

After all the negative talk I have seen about Nikasil cylinders for Harley I wouldn't touch 'em if they were free.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

Or maybe the producers of Nikasil v-twin cylinders already know Harley riders will put up with a lot more mediocrity than most.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

TorQuePimp

Quote from: JW113 on April 17, 2020, 10:43:08 AM
That is certainly true! So what is Wiseco bringing that spoils the party? Too much piston/cyl clearance?

-JW

Ok.....they had a "Potty mouth" ton of failures

From what I gather.....they blamed the rings

Seems they don't quite have the issues fixed

Was a guy in Tennessee that was selling 113" kits with mahle pistons

From what I know they held up fine

JW113

Quote from: PoorUB on April 17, 2020, 03:55:43 PM
I am guessing that anyone that uses Nikasil successfully has one hell of a lot more engineering into them than anyone that builds them for Harleys.

Are you saying that BMW had done more and better engineering than some small USA aftermarket outfit? Say it ain't so!
:hyst:

As I suggested earlier, the technology is tried and true. That does not mean that it's easy or cheap to make it work. And I agree, have not/would not touch them either from any company currently supplying them for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Wonder if BMW could be talked into making them?
:potstir:

-JW