April 27, 2024, 04:39:42 AM

News:

Heritage turn signal problem

Started by 113evo1, May 25, 2009, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

113evo1

My buddy has purchased a used 1996 Softail Heritage Nostalgia pretty much stock except for a EV3 cam. The bike has a very interesting problem, the turnsignals come on by themselves one at a time. If he starts the engine after about 5 minutes the left turn signal comes on …blinks for about three minutes then goes out by its self…then the right turn signal does the same…sometimes the engine will die. So far he has made these changes and the problem is still there.

Checked relays, swapped positions 
Replaced all turnsignal bulbs with HD brand
Installed new handlebar switches.
Installed new Turnsignal Module

The original owner said the problem started after the ignition switch was replaced with a aftermarket version.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Grayrider

Why haven't you changed or at least looked at the Ignition Switch?
That was when the problem started per the other owner!
Seems like thats where I would be looking. 
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

113evo1

My Buddy said he looked at the Ign Switch and it seems tight, its the newer design switch not the older barrel type that gave problems.
I'm going to remove my switch off my Roadking and let him try it. He was thinking someone may have had a simular problem.   

113evo1

The aftermarket ignition switch can be ruled out as being bad, installed a working HD ignition switch and it did not stop the turn signals from coming on themselves. Unpluged the electric speedo... didn't change anything.   

Old Crow

Is it possible that he crossed a wire on the switch when he changed it and that you just transfered that mistake to the new switch you just tried?
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

113evo1

The 96 and newer ignition switch has three prongs and the plug has three wires that only go on one way... I checked my Roadking plug to make sure it wasn't crossed.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Grayrider

Does the bike have 4 way flashers?
Might have something to do with them if all else is good!

113evo1

I will check into that today while stopping by the HD dealership at lunch to pick up new relays.
Thanks for your help!!

113evo1

While trying to find a cure for this problem I have noticed a few more things.
When the engine is started, it will idle on the kickstand for a few minutes… when you can hear it miss a beat… at the same instant, the front and rear turn signal on one side or the other will momentarily dim, then start flashing…after a moment it will stop and the other set of turn signals will flash for a few minutes, then the engine will die.
A friend suggested it could be the coil or the ignition module breaking down…swapped both with working units left over from my Roadking…didn’t make a difference.
I was wondering if stator or regulator could spike and maybe cause the relay to trip?
I pulled the stator plug and ran off the battery and it still did the same.   
With the tanks off, I’ve inspected the wire harness and plugs that are accessible and have not found anything grounded, pinched or crushed. Next, I will pull the starter and oil bag to get to the hidden wires.         

HeritageSpecial

113 Evo--Grayrider mentioned 4 way flashers. Have you tried to activate them? Any change?

Since no one mentioned it as yet how about the "turn signal indicator self cancellation module" (for lack of better discription) possibly failing. I'm not much on electrics, but I thought I'd mention the cancellation module...couldn't tell you where it is or if it could indeed play a role with this though.

Regards,
HS
2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

113evo1

Yes, the four way flashers can be activated by momentarily holding down both turnsignal buttons at the same time.
The turnsignal module (turnsignal canceler) has been replaced with a new original HD unit.
Thanks for your thoughts! 

7ender

check the 15A automatic-circuit-breaker ,...( the one with the gray and brown wire , which is located between the tanks )  for intermittent contacts ( loose wires in the cable-shoes ) .
In case of an intermittent automatic-circuit-breaker , you can mount a jumper-wire .

Grayrider

In your latest description, it sounds like a ground problem with the lights dimming, or a weak battery! 

113evo1

7ender

check the 15A automatic-circuit-breaker ,...( the one with the gray and brown wire , which is located between the tanks )  for intermittent contacts ( loose wires in the cable-shoes ) .
In case of an intermittent automatic-circuit-breaker , you can mount a jumper-wire .

On the 96 Heritage the relays are located under the seat on the rear fender… there are four removable press-in 15A relays… I replaced all with original HD relays.
Thanks for your thoughts 7ender

Greyrider,

In your latest description, it sounds like a ground problem with the lights dimming, or a weak battery!

I was thinking the same thing, so every part that is mounted to the frame I scraped the powder coat to bare metal and wire brushed the terminals. At this point, I’m thinking it must to be a crushed wire , but where?
Thanks for your thoughts Greyrider 

Grayrider

Most times I have seen crushed wires under the seat, around and between/under the fuel tank or in the harness that goes under the seat and through the rear fender for the rear lights. The harness plugs under the seat are big and bulky and are sometimes pushed down between the battery and the oil tank, or between the frame and the battery or oil tank. They get bared from rubbing due to vibration,  and short!
I have lost [2] HD modules that set the taillights as running lights, on all the time, when they shorted! They were plugged in under the seat and stuffed in as mentioned!