April 27, 2024, 04:47:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2005 Heritage Cutting out @ 60 MPH

Started by Tynker, July 12, 2020, 11:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

July 12, 2020, 11:21:07 AM Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:32:07 PM by Tynker
 My friend has a 2005 Heritage 40K miles, exhaust, no other mods. It starts and runs fine, idles great, accelerates great, but at 60, it has a jerking from the engine, no pops, or backfires, just sounds like it is cutting out. Any ideas?? It is FI
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Leed

Quote from: Tynker on July 12, 2020, 11:21:07 AM
My friend has a 2005 Heritage 40K miles, exhaust, no other mods. It starts and runs fine, idles great, accelerates great, but at 60, it has a jerking from the engine, no pops, or backfires, just sounds like it is cutting out. Any ideas??

Just a guess but maybe a clogged fuel filter or the pump is going south.

Scotty

In 2005 you could buy a carb or EFI model so might be good to know if it is a FLSTC or FLSTCI

Hossamania

If efi, does the hose in the tank have a pinhole in it from rubbing?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Either way, sounds like starving for fuel.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

You say it accelerates great, does that mean it will pull thru the gears to redline, or close to it, but when cruising along at 60 in 5th gear that is the only time it acts up? If so, it could be a vacuum leak causing a lean condition. How about 4th gear cruising at 60? Is he a short shifter, one who lugs the engine a lot?
Need a little more info on the circumstances, does it continue to do this if he rolls on the throttle, or snaps it to full throttle, while just holding steady throttle? Can he accelerate past it and it smoothes out?
And of course the efi or carb info.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tynker

Quote from: Scotty on July 12, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
In 2005 you could buy a carb or EFI model so might be good to know if it is a FLSTC or FLSTCI
Fuel injected
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

Quote from: Hossamania on July 12, 2020, 06:08:29 PM
You say it accelerates great, does that mean it will pull thru the gears to redline, or close to it, but when cruising along at 60 in 5th gear that is the only time it acts up? If so, it could be a vacuum leak causing a lean condition. How about 4th gear cruising at 60? Is he a short shifter, one who lugs the engine a lot?
Need a little more info on the circumstances, does it continue to do this if he rolls on the throttle, or snaps it to full throttle, while just holding steady throttle? Can he accelerate past it and it smoothes out?
And of course the efi or carb info.

Only does it at steady speed of 60 or so,accelerates great at all speeds to 90 or so,that is as fast as he will drive it...FI
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Scotty

Quote from: PoorUB on July 12, 2020, 05:58:06 PM
Either way, sounds like starving for fuel.

:agree:

Intake seals is another along with what has already been mentioned - fuel pump and internal hose leak.
TPS going bad as the bike is 15 years old now is another.

xlfan

Is it rpm dependent or speed dependent? Does it happen at same rpm in 4th gear, or at 60 mph in 4th gear as Hossamania asks?

Tynker

I will have him check it in 4th gear at 60 or 50 steady, and see if still cuts out some. I will post my findings. Thanks to all for your help.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

OK, more findings. It will cut out at some throttle speeds siting still. It will also do it in any gear if held at a steady speed. I have now replaced the TPS, rechecked all possible areas that could leak vacuum, like manifold to head, throttle to manifold,etc. I also replaced the SE plugs with the right plugs.. I wonder if installing lolly pops in the exhaust might help??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

Fuel pressure test-Like Hoss says, if the check valve hose has a hole in it, some of the pressure that is supposed to be sent to the cylinder is being bled back into the tank, causing a lean condition. System should make/hold 58-62 PSI. Replaced one yesterday for my neighbor.  His bike was stuttering at steady speed, and sneezing at low speed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tynker

Thanks, I will give it a try. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but will try to find one.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

chaos901

With out the fuel pressure gauge (which they are out there), if the tank is mostly empty you can open the tank and while the fuel pump is pressuring when you turn the IGN listen for spray inside the tank.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Tynker

Quote from: chaos901 on July 25, 2020, 06:17:57 PM
With out the fuel pressure gauge (which they are out there), if the tank is mostly empty you can open the tank and while the fuel pump is pressuring when you turn the IGN listen for spray inside the tank.

That is the first thing that I did, but heard nothing unusual. Fuel pressure gauge will be here Thursday.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

BKACHE

I had a similar situation. Mine a carb '96 FXD, but at speed it would cut out. As it finally turned out, the battery cable broke inside the shrink wrap. It was good and tight, but when the revs got up a bit the cable would pull away and cut out. At rest the cable was fine and even at idle. It was not easy to find, but a friend was pulling on wires and the bike stopped. Then it was a matter of tracking it down. Inconsistent elec can cause you to start to drink.
Dan

Tynker

OK, I checked the fuel pressure today. The pump showed 58# and within 1 minute or less it dropped down to 55#. Waited 2 minutes and turned the switch back on and pressure showed 58# and went down to 55#,and it stays there, doesn't go any lower. SO what do you folks think??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

That's common/normal. A hole in the fuel line usually drops to almost nothing within the same time frame.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dogger

I have a 2001. Although it is carbed, it did something like what you described. I screwed with the carb till it finally quit running. it ended up being the main circuit breaker.

Tynker

So, where is the main circuit breaker ??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

PoorUB

An '05 had a fuse, didn't it? I know my '05 Ultra did.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tynker

i checked on Ronnies, and it has both fuses and circuit breakers. I will replace both.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

Well, I removed the fuse panel, looking for a circuit breaker,and it has none.. Replaced the plug wires wit a new set, and no change. We will replace the replace coil next. After that, I will just shake my head.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

xlfan

Should be a 30 amp circuit breaker on the same panel that holds the turn signal canceller.