April 26, 2024, 08:27:58 AM

News:

MAP sensor question....

Started by hotbagger1, October 22, 2020, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

I have a 2000 electra glide standard. The bike is carbureted.
My question is,  will a bad MAP sensor   Cause the bike to die intermittently?

MikeL

A bad crank position sensor will.

MIKE

smoserx1

:agree:

The MAP sensor function is to regulate timing advance on acceleration (based on manifold pressure) so no, that shouldn't cause the engine to die.

Fugawee

Had a Couple of Intermittent "Bike Just Shut Down" Issues Over The Years.  One Turned Out to Be a Non-Vented Gas Cap, Causing Vapor Lock.  Replaced With a Vented Cap...No More Problem.  The Other was a Bad Negative Battery Cable from the Frame to the Battery.  The Cable was Corroded Under the Sheath.  You Couldn't See It, but Wiggling It, and Feeling It...You Cold Tell that it Wasn't as "Rigid" as It Should Be.  It Was Just a Little Too Flexible.  After Putting a Volt/Ohm Meter on It, Proved It was Bad.  Replaced the Cable, and All Was Good.  Both Were "Cheap Fixes".  I'm Sure That There Could Be Many Other Reasons for Your Problem, and Many Other Answers...but, It Doesn't Hurt to Start with the Inexpensive Ones First.  Hope that This Helps.  Good Luck.

Hossamania

Loose battery cables can cause it as well.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: hotbagger1 on October 22, 2020, 02:59:19 PM

Generally a bad MAP sensor will give poor running, rough idling, etc. I guess if there are other issues along with this, I guess the bike might stop running.

As mentioned, a crank sensor and also 2000 should have a cam sensor. Either can probably cause the bike to stop running if there's some intermittent reading to the ECM.

hotbagger1

I've replaced every sensor relay breaker cam position sensor crank position sensor run/off switch Ignition switch battery cables I also pulled on all the wiring to try to get the bike to die and it wouldn't. It is definitely an electrical problem because the check engine light comes on and then everything's shut soff the bike dies and i have to sit there and wait for the light to come back on and then the bike will start right up .

Ohio HD

This should have been the first post on this subject.

Geezer_Glider

If the engine light is coming on is it setting a code? Just a thought.
R Meyer

hotbagger1

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on October 23, 2020, 10:43:31 AM
If the engine light is coming on is it setting a code? Just a thought.
R Meyer
Nope no code at all!
I'm going on my 5th year with this problem.
Nobody including me can seem to figure it out

Hossamania

October 23, 2020, 11:40:49 AM #10 Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:55:29 AM by Hossamania
I feel your frustration. No way I would have put up with it for five years, it would have been traded or sold.
Sometimes they catch on fire...
If the map sensor is the last piece that hasn't been replaced, what have you got to lose by doing it?
Double check the wires at the ignition switch for corrosion under the insulation. Do this elsewhere as well.
With it running, turn the bars back and forth lock to lock, checking for broken wires in the harness. Disconnect the ecu, clean the contacts, inspect for bent pins.
I'm assuming a new battery or two in this time?
Was running a couple weeks ago with some friends, one bike broke down when the battery post broke off, the seat was hitting it. Check for clearance there. (We found a sheet metal screw and screwed the wires right into the lead. He rode for the rest of the day like that.)
Cut off as many ty wraps as you can, new ones on loose if necessary. It also acts as if a wire is rubbing somewhere. I'm sure you've cleaned all grounds. Check the ground on the handlebars.
Good luck, hoping you find the problem.

-deuced-

I have a 2001 deuce. The bike is carbureted. Had a die intermittently problem. Turned out to be a clogged petcock filter, inside the tank.

Hossamania

When it dies, do you have any lights, headlight, taillight, brake light, speedo light, neutral light?
Does it have security system?
Has the bank angle sensor been replaced?

CndUltra88

My 02 Ultra fuel infected had the infamous 30 amp circuit issue that was upgraded to the 40 amp circuit breaker or was it the 40 amp replaced with a 50 amp  :scratch: I forgot now.
I replaced it with a Bosch automotive 2 post breaker for the third time and lasted several years when I upgraded to the Fuggly.
Replace those wires that come off the breaker to the starter as well.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

hotbagger1

Quote from: CndUltra88 on October 23, 2020, 02:19:09 PM

My 02 Ultra fuel infected had the infamous 30 amp circuit issue that was upgraded to the 40 amp circuit breaker or was it the 40 amp replaced with a 50 amp  :scratch: I forgot now.
I replaced it with a Bosch automotive 2 post breaker for the third time and lasted several years when I upgraded to the Fuggly.
Replace those wires that come off the breaker to the starter as well.
Rob
Yes I have replaced the bank angle sensor

smoserx1

If you have a defective sensor of any type, that will normally throw a code.  You have none.  Normally a defective battery connection or circuit breaker will cause a complete loss of electricity to everything.  You say when the problem occurs the check engine comes on so a complete power failure does not sound like it.  I have a 99 FLHT and I had to replace the ignition module itself, so you might want to investigate that.  And if you do end up replacing the module you can disconnect the cam position sensor as the superseded modules don't use it.

hotbagger1

It has a new ignition module,  that was one of the  1st things I tried. I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to be working I'm going to have to pull the harness out go through every wire

Bigs

When I had my '05 Sportster it was pinging a lot and I found out the MAP sensor was bad. Replaced it and everything was OK.
   Bigs

02fxst

I have an 02 fxst carb bike that would die once in a while, mostly on hot days and running fairly hard(stopping for gas only). After sitting for 20 or 30 minutes it would start and run good again, sometimes it would do this 2 or 3 times in afternoon. One day after it had died I quickly pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked it over and seen the petcock wasnt letting any fuel thru. Replaced the petcock with a pingle non vacuum and never had the problem again. I think the diaphragm in the stock petcock would become hot and possibly warp, shutting the fuel off. The petcock on my softail is very close to rear jug and gets pretty warm. Might be something you can consider.

Fugawee

After Re-Reading This, I Remember a Guy I Worked With Had a Constant Check Engine Light On with No Codes, and His Bike Would Just Die on Occasion.  He Had a Early 2000 Something Carb'd Fat-Boy.  He Had Changed His Stock Plug Wires with Some Aftermarket Brand, That Matched the Color of His Bike.  Cheap Junk.  He Put the Stock Ones Back On, and No More Check Engine Light.  His Bike was Fine After That.
Someone Once Told Me that There is a Sensor in a Newer Stock Plug Wire.  I Don't Know How True That Is, or If It's a Line of BS.
I Never Took the Time to "Di-sect" One.

motorhogman

Quote from: Fugawee on October 24, 2020, 02:53:33 PM
After Re-Reading This, I Remember a Guy I Worked With Had a Constant Check Engine Light On with No Codes, and His Bike Would Just Die on Occasion.  He Had a Early 2000 Something Carb'd Fat-Boy.  He Had Changed His Stock Plug Wires with Some Aftermarket Brand, That Matched the Color of His Bike.  Cheap Junk.  He Put the Stock Ones Back On, and No More Check Engine Light.  His Bike was Fine After That.
Someone Once Told Me that There is a Sensor in a Newer Stock Plug Wire.  I Don't Know How True That Is, or If It's a Line of BS.
I Never Took the Time to "Di-sect" One.

My 01 carb'd FLHT did the same thing with Accel  8.0 mm Silicone wires. "300 + Ferro Spiral Race Wire"..Not only did the engine light come on the engine pinged like crazy.. FSM specs show ohms should be between 5,000 and 11,666...The Accel wires are 260...Needless to say but they went around the block once and after checking the resistance on my OEM wires  ( they were well within spec) I put them back on and problem solved.. I only changed them because they were old. Then I took a ride to the dealer to get a new stock set...They only had 1 ! 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

smoserx1

QuoteWhen I had my '05 Sportster it was pinging a lot and I found out the MAP sensor was bad. Replaced it and everything was OK.

You just helped me out a bunch.  A long time ago my bike suddenly started pinging more than usual and I never thought too much about it.  I had a spare MAP sensor and never installed it since I thought any abnormality would cause a code, but after reading your post I decided to swap it out today and I'll be dammed it fixed the issue.  The pinging is definitely resolved and it seems to have a little better roll-on pep.  My SM showed it should throw a code 12 and I am wondering why it never did...I  guess it was out of range but not bad enough to signal a problem to the ECM.  Anyway thanks for the suggestion, it absolutely worked.

xlfan

Quote from: hotbagger1 on October 23, 2020, 10:20:55 AM
I've replaced every sensor relay breaker cam position sensor crank position sensor run/off switch Ignition switch battery cables I also pulled on all the wiring to try to get the bike to die and it wouldn't. It is definitely an electrical problem because the check engine light comes on and then everything's shut soff the bike dies and i have to sit there and wait for the light to come back on and then the bike will start right up .

"Have to sit there and wait for the light to come back on"

If it is the headlight you mean, it sounds like your main  circuit breaker are tripping. It is rarely easy to locate this kind of shorts, especially if it only happens ocassionally  and never when you are testing for it. 

BTW, have you done the TSB prescribed change from 40A to 50A main breaker?

xlfan

Quote from: hotbagger1 on October 22, 2020, 02:59:19 PMI have a 2000 electra glide standard. The bike is carbureted.
Did you ever find the root cause?