April 28, 2024, 01:57:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Barry Controls USA made Front Engine Mount

Started by turboprop, December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Understood. I imagine a 7/16 grade eight bolt will work fine.

They seemed to have downsize the bolts along the way. Not sure what year they went to 3/8" like my 2008 has.

ecir50

I hear ya figure 3/8 or 7/16 grade 8 would work.

turboprop

I think you guys are missing a key detail. That bolt is not supposed to provide any lateral support. Look at what is happening. The engine/trans pivots radially off of the swingarm axle. The front engine mount stabilizes the radial movement of the drive train. The bolt that goes through the center hole f the engine mount should ideally be located in the center of the hole with equal gap around it. Again, it is only there to provide radial stability. The two turn buckles provide the lateral stability. As noted in this thread, the earliest rubber mounted bikes had a large bolt and over the years it's diameter has been reduced. I do not believe this is not a material cost saving measure, but rather to make it easier to position the rubber mount in a way that transfers the least amount of vibrations to the chassis. But dont take my word for it. Instead, put a small jack under the engine and remove that bolt, then raise and lower the engine while looking at the front engine mount. Then look at the two turnbuckles and ask yourself what putting a larger bolt in there does. Seriously. The smaller but thing can easily be retrofitted to older bikes that originally had a larger bolt. I hope this takes on the form of one of those exciting twin cam lifter debates.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

We didn't miss any details. It was simply a notice of the ID of the mount not allowing use of the 0.500" diameter bolt his early bike used. And I noted my later bikes used a 0.375" fastener. No discussion of structural requirements.

turboprop

Quote from: turboprop on December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AMI found what may be the oem for the original -B front engine mount used on baggers and FXRs. Barry Controls, made in the USA, $18.10 direct.

Here are three links:

The first link is to the catalog which contains tons of scientific information as well as top level drawings. Interesting to note that the mount typical used in Harley applications is available in five different hardness ratings.
Barry-Controls-2011-compressed.pdf

The second link is to the online store. The 507-3NS is what was used by Harley. I Just ordered it and the corresponding snubbing washer. Total bill was $38 that included $20 for shipping.
online store

The third link is to an ebay listing for the Barry mount. $60, but has good images.
ebay listing

I just ordered a couple. Will see.

An update.

If you read the thread and looked at the links you will have seen that the mount in this form factor is available in five different level of stiffness. 1 is the softest, 5 being the hardest. There is some noise about #3 being what the original factory mount was, but that has never really been confirmed by anyone.

I purchased one of each back in 2020 and have been rotating them around my three bikes ever since, two FXRs with TC124s and a TC88 bagger. I am now at the point where the last bike has been switched over to a #1 mount. All of them are now using a #1 hardness front engine mount.

I started with my naked red/white FXR using the number 5 mount. Hated it. It lasted about 800 miles in the bike before it was replaced with the #4 and so on, before settling on the #1.  I was concerned and the do nothing arm chair had hypothesized that the engine would bounce around too much. It doesn't. 12:1 compression, solid front sprocket. Silky smooth.

Did the same thing on the other two bikes, except started at number four on the blue/white FXR and worked down to #2. The difference felt at my seat-o-pants meter between the two was significant enough that I bit the bullet, purchased another #1 and swapped out the #2.

This left the bagger. Hate that bike. Seriously. I would sell it if it was worth anything and hate spending money on it. But the difference between the two other bikes and couch on wheels was so overwhelming and annoying that I had to buy another #1 mount.

So, what to do with the remaining #2 - #5 mounts. Talk them up to the bar stool crowd until they can't take it and ask to buy one.

Bottom line #1 is where it is at.

PS - I cant wait to hear stories of irrelevancies.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhogman

I've been running a #1 since your original post. Very happy with it. 01' stock box FLHT
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

badazzpred

June 14, 2023, 10:27:27 AM #81 Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:37:11 AM by FSG
Quote from: turboprop on May 01, 2023, 11:19:41 AM
Quote from: turboprop on December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AMI found what may be the oem for the original -B front engine mount used on baggers and FXRs. Barry Controls, made in the USA, $18.10 direct.

Here are three links:

The first link is to the catalog which contains tons of scientific information as well as top level drawings. Interesting to note that the mount typical used in Harley applications is available in five different hardness ratings.
Barry-Controls-2011-compressed.pdf

The second link is to the online store. The 507-3NS is what was used by Harley. I Just ordered it and the corresponding snubbing washer. Total bill was $38 that included $20 for shipping.
online store

The third link is to an ebay listing for the Barry mount. $60, but has good images.
ebay listing

I just ordered a couple. Will see.

An update.

If you read the thread and looked at the links you will have seen that the mount in this form factor is available in five different level of stiffness. 1 is the softest, 5 being the hardest. There is some noise about #3 being what the original factory mount was, but that has never really been confirmed by anyone.

I purchased one of each back in 2020 and have been rotating them around my three bikes ever since, two FXRs with TC124s and a TC88 bagger. I am now at the point where the last bike has been switched over to a #1 mount. All of them are now using a #1 hardness front engine mount.

I started with my naked red/white FXR using the number 5 mount. Hated it. It lasted about 800 miles in the bike before it was replaced with the #4 and so on, before settling on the #1.  I was concerned and the do nothing arm chair had hypothesized that the engine would bounce around too much. It doesn't. 12:1 compression, solid front sprocket. Silky smooth.

Did the same thing on the other two bikes, except started at number four on the blue/white FXR and worked down to #2. The difference felt at my seat-o-pants meter between the two was significant enough that I bit the bullet, purchased another #1 and swapped out the #2.

This left the bagger. Hate that bike. Seriously. I would sell it if it was worth anything and hate spending money on it. But the difference between the two other bikes and couch on wheels was so overwhelming and annoying that I had to buy another #1 mount.

So, what to do with the remaining #2 - #5 mounts. Talk them up to the bar stool crowd until they can't take it and ask to buy one.

Bottom line #1 is where it is at.

PS - I cant wait to hear stories of irrelevancies.

Great thread and I'm so glad I happened to stumble upon it as my original mount on my 05' EGC is due for replacement and HD is a ripoff!!
I spoke with Renee over at dB Engineering who's in charge of the bonded tube mount division and explained to her that I came across this thread and that at first you recommended Harley's original was most likely the 507-3NS she told me that she constantly gets orders from independent HD repair shops for the 507-2NS so before I place my order I noticed that you now are recommending the 507-1NS ? again this would be for my 05' EGC all stock.......What are your thoughts please?

Hossamania

I think turboprop's recommendation is pretty clear.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

badazzpred

Quote from: Hossamania on June 14, 2023, 11:02:02 AMI think turboprop's recommendation is pretty clear.
You mean to go with the 507-1NS over the 507-2NS ?

Hossamania

That's what he said. Quote:

"Bottom line #1 is where it is at."

badazzpred

July 13, 2023, 11:50:35 AM #85 Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:56:48 PM by FSG
Quote from: Hossamania on June 14, 2023, 11:58:41 AMThat's what he said. Quote:

Well I installed the 507-1NS and to be honest it seems to still have a lot of vibration? I wonder if it will settle in over time or do I need to go with the 507-2NS instead?

motorhogman

Quote from: badazzpred on July 13, 2023, 11:50:35 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 14, 2023, 11:58:41 AMThat's what he said. Quote:

Well I installed the 507-1NS and to be honest it seems to still have a lot of vibration? I wonder if it will settle in over time or do I need to go with the 507-2NS instead?

I noticed less vibration as soon as I installed mine. The OEM mount I took out was in good physical condition. I forget how long ago I installed the 1NS. It's back some where in this post. This old 01 FLHT is smooth as can be with  121,000 mi   The 2 is stiffer compound.. I think that would give you more vibration. Try loosening up your mounting bolts, center them and retorquing. Personally I wouldn't use any other mount.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

As motorhogman said, loosen the bolts, start the motor and let it idle for a few seconds to center the mount, shut down motor and tighten the mount.

Deye76

Couldn't find the corresponding snubbing washer part #, anyone have it?
Edit: found it.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP