April 26, 2024, 11:01:24 PM

News:

Transmission help

Started by thumper 823, December 23, 2020, 07:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper 823

Is there a ceramic  bng available?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

jsachs1

1 note on hard anodized aluminum belt sprockets, that I discovered some years ago. The belt was wearing the anodizing off the sprocket. When that happens the belt wears the sprocket out in no time  :angry: I won't mention the manufacturer, but unfortunately I went through quite a few.
John

thumper 823

I will not expect unlimited mileage out of it.
In fact, I asked the dude and he thought 15 to 20K.
That is about what I get out of a top-end so it is all OK, do them in stereo?  LOL

Ohio HD

Better buy bearing spares from Baker and carry them with you. They aren't a standard bearing size. Baker hones the bearing ID +0.0016" to fit over the Evo or Baker shaft. You'll be in the middle of nowhere and the bearing will go boom, you won't find one.

[attach=0]

thumper 823

I will have to check that out,
thanx !

Ohio HD

S&S race and the OEM 9135 bearing is the way to go.

Ohio HD

Quote from: jsachs1 on March 12, 2021, 02:08:29 PM
1 note on hard anodized aluminum belt sprockets, that I discovered some years ago. The belt was wearing the anodizing off the sprocket. When that happens the belt wears the sprocket out in no time  :angry: I won't mention the manufacturer, but unfortunately I went through quite a few.
John

:up:

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 12, 2021, 04:23:52 PM
S&S race and the OEM 9135 bearing is the way to go.

:agree:   +100 on that  :SM:

thumper 823

I am confused, I use a belt-drive, therefore no oil in there.
  The bearing I used is a sealed unit much like a clutch pilot bearing.
However a ceramic might be a great idea.

Ohio HD

Nothing to be confused about, if you run a dry primary, you're stuck with junky sealed bearings that can't handle the the radial loads very long, and will become worn due to inadequate lubrication. 

There's a reason 99.9999% if the Harley world runs primary chains on road bikes.

thumper 823

I will attempt to locate a ceramic bearing if these are a low hour part, albeit I don't see much in write-ups complaining they are doing these again and again?

kd

Thumper, remember that the ID is not an off the shelf dimension.  The outer ID fits the primary though.   As Ohio has shown, Baker hones the inner to fit the transmission main shaft.  It`s kinda like owning a John Deere or some Cat bearings (and seals).  Made for them and sold by them only.
KD

thumper 823

Thanx for the info!
I have to get out there and do some measuring.
If the shaft size was different, I would think they would have had to
include a different sleeve (race) and or bearing in the kit?
I don't remember that.'
Baker did send the larger main shaft bearing which I have replaced with a ceramic.
I will let you all know about my quandary later today.

Ohio HD

It's really simple. The bearing that is on the shaft is a Baker honed ID bearing. The bearing that won't go on the shaft is a standard 6205 bearing. Doesn't matter where you find one it won't fit unless the ID is opened up.

6205 bearing ID = 25.00mm
Baker transmission shaft OD = 25.00mm

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

thumper 823

OK , when I get out there, and this being true which will suck, means have more custom work to do ...
The devil is in the details .

Always

thumper 823

March 14, 2021, 11:01:55 AM #90 Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:08:02 AM by thumper 823
Ok folks I stayed up last night, kind of concerned about this Main shaft dia. problems

I finally got out there and measured the old five-speed and the new six-speed O.D
They are exactly the same. 
25MM
I measured two old inner primary sealed bearings, all measure the same as they should.
In fact, the two I have here slide on both the old main and the new main-shaft just a little looser than I would care for.
So, perhaps the O.D "builders unit" is different than what you guys are used to?

This is of course the old five speed  below

[attach=0,msg1380716]

thumper 823

This is the Baker main shaft-exactly the same as the old Harley unit

[attach=0,msg1380717]

thumper 823

thumper 823

kd

March 14, 2021, 11:42:22 AM #94 Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:55:01 AM by kd
Thumper, those don't look like exact same measurements to me.  Maybe I am missing something.  Verniers can be a problem when splitting hairs. Any measuring tool is easily damaged and sometimes effected by temperature.  Do you have a good micrometer?

If you go back to Ohio's post #78 you will get your answer. You can trust him.  :wink:  When we both bought our GrudgeBox's he did the research and took all of the practical measurements including the differences in the Baker brg.  If you look at your measurements and compare them to his, the  :idea: will come on. All the math will work out on cross referencing.   Mind you an OCD type (like some of us) may want to confirm them and no one could blame you.  I do think you'll end up on the same page.
KD

turboprop

Good grief.

Not sure what the grudge box has to do with any of this as Thumper has a FIVE SPEED transmission case.

Thumper, the OD of the the main shaft from the OEM, Baker, other after market are all the same for ever gear set that canoe used inside of a five speed case. Those sealed inner bearings regardless of the packaging, Baker, Alls Balls, Drag, V-Twin, etc, etc, will all be compatible with the 5-speed main shaft.

Here is a little experiment. Go to one of the on line bearing supplies and try to purchase a bearing with the same OD, width and ID as those sealed bearings you have. Sealed or not, doesn't make a difference. Try and buy one or two. If you are successful, when you get those bearings in the mail, come back here and tell us how they fit on any or all of the main shafts that you are in possession of for that five speed case. Learning will occur. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

The Grudgebox six speed uses the same size shaft as the five speeds use, 25.00mm (0.9843"), the HD OEM six speed (cruise drive) is 24.80mm (0.9767").

The five speed and the Grudgebox, DD7, etc, all have a 25.00mm shaft (0.9843") and need a motorcycle specific roller bearing if the OEM race / roller bearing (34091-85A and 9135) isn't used for the inner primary support bearing.

An off the shelf 6205 bearing won't slide on the transmission shaft, the bearing ID needs to be honed about 0.040mm (0.0016") larger.

thumper 823

I Made one mistake. I had the wrong bearing for the example.  ( it was close )
I found and measured the correct one it and it Fits snugly on the shaft.
A slight push-fit if you fiddle with it and get it square.
PURrrrrect!

I remeasure everything again with a high-dollar vernier.
It all fits and fits correctly no mods needed.
So I will guess Baker changed the M.S. size back to the normal.
thank god!
SOOoooooo i dont know what to tell ya, you can see the dam thin on the shaft
[attach=0]

jsachs1

When I used to use the modified 6205 bearings on the main shaft, I always removed the bearing seal that faced the inner primary.
John

thumper 823

Being I run a dry primary there is prolly no reason to?