April 26, 2024, 01:48:40 PM

News:

Replacing battery cables

Started by motorhogman, October 30, 2021, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

Thinking about changing my 21 plus year old cables.  Not having any issues, just thinking preventing an issue.
These cables are said to be an exact fit for my 2001 FLHT. 
Says they are 4 GA.  I can't find the OEM GA in the SM or Parts manual. 
Anyone know what the OEM GA is ?
LINK

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Fugawee

I think that 4 ga. is correct.  I just happen to have the seat off of My 03' FLH, and can barely see it on the cables...but it looks like 4 gauge printed on there.  Had to get the magnifying glass out...but it sure looks like 4 gauge to Me.

kd

Do some homework about the cable gauge available.  I think Terry Cables is where I got mine and IIRC they were #1 or #2 gauge (soft and pliable),  They can be bought with the extra power or ground leads installed (if your year and model uses them).  They provide way more cranking power and less voltage drop.  You Will notice a difference. Give California Phil a call.  He can probably help.  :wink:
KD

motorhogman

Thanks kd  I'll take a look. 

Ohio HD

If your looking for an upgrade, you might take a look at Sumax. They have a full 2 AWG cable with over 2,000 bare strands of copper. Very flexible, and very high quality. Also very costly. 

https://sumax.com/product-category/battery-cables/

motorhogman

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 30, 2021, 03:29:12 PM
If your looking for an upgrade, you might take a look at Sumax. They have a full 2 AWG cable with over 2,000 bare strands of copper. Very flexible, and very high quality. Also very costly. 

https://sumax.com/product-category/battery-cables/

Thanks  I looked..  yes..  $$$$$$

motorhogman

Came across this calculator while searching.  One article I came across said 01 FLHT cables are 6 GA.  ?

LINK

Ohio HD

This is the standard AWG size for the conductor diameter.

2 AWG 0.258
4 AWG 0.204
6 AWG 0.162

6 ga. sounds right for OEM

kd

OK, It may be Sumax that I bought. I do know the ones for my 2011 came with the integrated #8 (?) leads in the battery lugs. I know of another member that bought what I have shortly after that said it cured a hot cranking issue he had.  They really are worth the few dollars more.  Cut back on the beers for a day or so.  :teeth:
KD

motorhogman

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 30, 2021, 03:39:37 PM
This is the standard AWG size for the conductor diameter.

2 AWG 0.258
4 AWG 0.204
6 AWG 0.162

6 ga. sounds right for OEM

Thank You.. I'm going to check mine tomorrow and see if there is any printing on them. If they are actually 6 GA going to 4 would be an improvement.

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on October 30, 2021, 03:43:45 PM
OK, It may be Sumax that I bought. I do know the ones for my 2011 came with the integrated #8 (?) leads in the battery lugs. I know of another member that bought what I have shortly after that said it cured a hot cranking issue he had.  They really are worth the few dollars more.  Cut back on the beers for a day or so.  :teeth:

LMAO  If I cut back any more I might as well quit all together.   I checked Terry Cable..  Couldn't find any battery cables.. Just clutch and throttle..

Ohio HD

kd

Sorry, try Terry Components.  I'll see if I can find my invoice from a few years ago to be sure where I got mine.  I remember speaking to them direct at that time but not who.   :doh:  Looks like Ohio beat me to it. :hyst:
KD

motorhogman

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on October 30, 2021, 03:52:13 PM
Sorry, try Terry Components.  I'll see if I can find my invoice from a few years ago to be sure where I got mine.  I remember speaking to them direct at that time but not who.   :doh:  Looks like Ohio beat me to it. :hyst:

YEP he did..

motorhogman

Anybody look at that calculator I Linked in post #7 ?   

smoserx1

October 30, 2021, 04:24:29 PM #16 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:30:07 PM by smoserx1
If you want a set of Sumax cables the company in your link has one set in stock.  Yes I think 4ga is stock and is what your calculator shows (I chose a half meter length, 120 amps and 2% loss which I believe are reasonable parameters). 

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 30, 2021, 04:24:29 PM
If you want a set of Sumax cables the company in your link has one set in stock.  Yes I think 4ga is stock and is what your calculator shows (I chose a half meter length, 120 amps and 2% loss which I believe are reasonable parameters).

Thanks.  I was wondering what number should be used for amperage draw. The service manual shows 90 amp no load @11.5 V.  A no load amperage doesn't make sense to use ?   Those Sumax cables are nice but the price is proud.

smoserx1

I believe that would be 90 amps just spinning the starter on a bench.  Actually turning the engine over will be more.  Stalling it (like those hot days when the engine occasionally refuses to turn over) and the amperage goes way up.  I'll never force it like I have seen some to.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 31, 2021, 08:41:02 AM
I believe that would be 90 amps just spinning the starter on a bench.  Actually turning the engine over will be more.  Stalling it (like those hot days when the engine occasionally refuses to turn over) and the amperage goes way up.  I'll never force it like I have seen some to.

Yes that is the bench test I'm thinking also.  To me all that test will tell you is the starter works on the bench.. 

smoserx1

Exactly.  Those high priced 2 gauge cables probably won't a difference on the bench test.  Hot soak restart day will be another story and they might just get you over that hump provided your battery is up to snuff.  The weakest link will always be the bottleneck.

motorhogman

OK enough thinking about it.. Ordered the Sumax exact fit set 2GA.

kd

:up:  In my personal experience and another member I know had the hot soak problem on occasion found it worthwhile.
KD

Wide Glide

Bought a set from these guys, crazy cheap and great quality.
https://www.batterycablesusa.com/
'97 FXDWG
Mike

motorhogman

Quote from: Wide Glide on October 31, 2021, 03:00:20 PM
Bought a set from these guys, crazy cheap and great quality.
https://www.batterycablesusa.com/

I book marked the site.. Already ordered the Sumax big $$ ones. This site may come in handy for future cable needs.  Lawn tractor, 4X4, car etc,..   Thanks for posting.  Yes, they are very inexpensive.