April 26, 2024, 07:48:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Converting older Dyna to dual disk brakes

Started by Jim Bronson, January 25, 2022, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Is this possible? I recently bought a 2013 Super Glide. I love it, but the brakes could be better. I noticed that the hub is drilled for an additional disk and it has dummy screws, but there's no mounting points for a caliper on the right side. Just curious.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

rigidthumper

You could use an entire front end & brake parts from the same year Dyna Fat Bob- it came with dual disc setup.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

I can't speak for the present hub matching a typical dual disc system but I have done a few varying swaps.  The late 70's and early 80's had interchangeable front ends. Same neck bearings and post.  In some instances you had to keep the lower tree due to the post length when going between Sporty and FLH.  It was common for us to swap out a decker front end to a Sportster and up in the Dyna family and vice versa.  After all, that's what the first FX`s came out with in '72. At the very least you need the lower leg, caliper(s), rotor(s), master cylinder and brake lines.  Sometimes we just used the old master cylinder as it was easier than dealing with the wiring etc..  If I was doing it today, I would look for a complete take-off front end including brakes etc. and change it out at the neck.  Keep the original aside. In that vintage, the trees usually all have the mounting points cast into them for the lighting and accessories.
KD

misfitJason

There are two easy ways to go about a dual disc conversion on yours.

1. Get a left side lowrider fork slider. I don't know what the wait time is on them nowadays. Might be a couple of months. But that is the easiest. On the used market, they were going for about 450 bucks

2. This is an easy way but requires more parts. Pick yourself up a pair of vrsca lowers. You need the set as the have different mount points for the fender (height). The lower legs themselves are a bit shorter than your dynas but they are for 49mm and will work. Here is the catch. Because they are shorter you will have to run +2 fork dampers. Once all put together with the +2 dampers, they will be the stock height. You can get the dampers from speedkings cycle or probably California Phil.

No other way around it.

I have done a couple of the vrod leg ones for buddies bikes. Everything bolts up and lines up. The choice is up to you how much you desire to work on it. If your bike is lowered or you want it lower you can just switch out your tubes and all for vrod ones.
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

misfitJason

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 25, 2022, 10:54:01 AMYou could use an entire front end & brake parts from the same year Dyna Fat Bob- it came with dual disc setup.

It did come with dual discs but they are different front end and different parts from the other dynas. The whole front end would fit. The fatbob was a wide glide 49mm front end.  Not a mid glide.

Hossamania

Or you could just upgrade your brake pads and maybe the rotor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Before going in too deep, describe what you mean by "could be better"?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on January 25, 2022, 11:06:21 AMOr you could just upgrade your brake pads and maybe the rotor.
Would I see enough improvement in braking to make it worth the money/time? What are some brands? The bike only has about 3000 miles, so the pads shouldn't be worn much.

Otherwise, the front end swap seems like the most straightforward option. I don't think using a L/H lower on the right side would work due to the fender bolt holes.

By better, I mean that it takes lots more effort than my 2015 RK with duals. I would be happy with any improvement I can get.

Thanks

Hossamania

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 25, 2022, 11:37:30 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 25, 2022, 11:06:21 AMOr you could just upgrade your brake pads and maybe the rotor.
Would I see enough improvement in braking to make it worth the money/time? What are some brands? The bike only has about 3000 miles, so the pads shouldn't be worn much.

Otherwise, the front end swap seems like the most straightforward option. I don't think using a L/H lower on the right side would work due to the fender bolt holes.

By better, I mean that it takes lots more effort than my 2015 RK with duals. I would be happy with any improvement I can get.

Thanks

A good set of pads are relatively inexpensive. EBC has good products, along with Lyndall Brakes. A call to Lyndall and they can set you up with pads for your application.
Try the pads first, a rotor can come after if you aren't satisfied. Less work and money than setting up with dual disc.
When you put new pads on, clean the rotor well with brake cleaner and a red Scotch Brite pad.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

You will notice the single rotor is a larger diameter so it does more work.  You could probably do the math on effective surface but either one should lock up if pushed.  As Hoss said, pad makeup can be critical.
KD

JW113

Sintered brake pads will have more "bite" than organic, if that's what you're using now. Might be worth a try. I also like braided stainless brake lines, they tend to help a little as well.

-JW

turboprop

Back on subject. As said my Misfit, you need a lower leg, rotor, caliper, master cylinder, brake line and miscellaneous hardware. Very easy.

In addition to the noise about brake pads, I will add a bit more. The brake caliper and rotor on your bike are the non Brembo/Harley 11.5" stuff. For a lot less money, work and mess, you could replace the existing 11.5 rotor and caliper with 11.8" rotor and Harley/Brembo caliper. All the noise about pads and stuff applies to this as well. This single 11.8" setup will be significantly more powerful than a comparable 11.5" setup.

There is no 'kit' to do this. You will have to figure it out and piece everything together.

Personally, I would do the dual disk, but would use the master cylinder and calipers from a bagger and aftermarket floating 11.8" rotors with HH compound pads. This is still a compromise but it is the most brake that can be put on that bike using oem calipers and master cylinder.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Jim Bronson

misfitJason

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 25, 2022, 11:37:30 AM

Thanks

I am not talking about the left hand slider on the right side. The low rider is dual disc. I am talking about buying a right side slider from a Lowrider with brake mounts

misfitJason

January 25, 2022, 04:10:19 PM #14 Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:14:22 PM by misfitJason
Quote from: turboprop on January 25, 2022, 02:42:51 PMBack on subject. As said my Misfit, you need a lower leg, rotor, caliper, master cylinder, brake line and miscellaneous hardware. Very easy.

In addition to the noise about brake pads, I will add a bit more. The brake caliper and rotor on your bike are the non Brembo/Harley 11.5" stuff. For a lot less money, work and mess, you could replace the existing 11.5 rotor and caliper with 11.8" rotor and Harley/Brembo caliper. All the noise about pads and stuff applies to this as well. This single 11.8" setup will be significantly more powerful than a comparable 11.5" setup.

There is no 'kit' to do this. You will have to figure it out and piece everything together.

Personally, I would do the dual disk, but would use the master cylinder and calipers from a bagger and aftermarket floating 11.8" rotors with HH compound pads. This is still a compromise but it is the most brake that can be put on that bike using oem calipers and master cylinder.

It already has 11.8. It's a 2013 Superglide , he said. Also he can't do the bagger brembo calipers without making brackets for his bike now due to the pad overlap issues. Those work on the 05-down dynas

misfitJason

The best result I have found without going dual disc, is the arlen ness big brake kit.

I tried the speed merchant radial caliper adapters with a tokico caliper and it wasn't much better than the stock with sintered pads and a better rotor. The arlen ness kit makes a great difference.

turboprop

Quote from: misfitJason on January 25, 2022, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 25, 2022, 02:42:51 PMBack on subject. As said my Misfit, you need a lower leg, rotor, caliper, master cylinder, brake line and miscellaneous hardware. Very easy.

It already has 11.8. It's a 2013 Superglide , he said. Also he can't do the bagger brembo calipers without making brackets for his bike now due to the pad overlap issues. Those work on the 05-down dynas

You are correct. Thanks.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Jim Bronson

I'll go the easy route first, and if I'm not happy, I'll move on from there. I'll be having tires replaced soon, so perhaps that will be a good time to try new pads.

sprocket99

Look into the Ness Big Brake kit. You get a much bigger rotor along with a mounting bracket. It will substantially increase braking power, together with a new set of good pads such as EBC. When I got mine it was around $300

JW113

When you replace the pads, make sure to de-glaze the rotor, then follow the correct bed in for the chosen pads.

-JW

04 SE Deuce

Jim, I'd guess the caliper pistons probably need cleaning to get a good/tall/hard lever as the bike has sat.

As suggested, I would try some Lyndall X-treme or the real HH EBC pads and next move to a big rotor kit if needed.

boooby1744

Many moons ago,2001 FXD.Russell braided line,Lyndall gold pads and a Harley floating disc. Made a significant improvement and I didn't want to add the extra cost and weight of a 2 disc system.You cannot see attachments on this board.

FSG

I put a second disc on the front of my '03 Fatty, I went well, but I'd not do it again ......

I'd go the braided lines, better pads, a larger diameter disc and caliper to increase the swept area

ever wonder why those Buells had good stopping power up front ?