April 25, 2024, 09:47:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Single to double element rear turn signal pigtail

Started by CVOThunder, May 09, 2022, 09:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CVOThunder

Was going to post in the current turn signal post but didn't want to H/J.

Bike- 2007 Softail Custom FXSTC.
Goal- dual element 1157 style rear pigtails to have t/s and running lights. Currently uses a single element 1156 (I think) for t/s only. I have LED replacement bulbs (plate with multiple small LEDs mounted from Amazon). I can post the link if it's ok.

Do I need a module to make this happen or just replace the pigtail to one similar to the front pigtail? May need some kind of resistor pack, not sure where I'd find that.

Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

bump

Harley has a module that goes into back wiring that will turn your turn signals into running/turn/brake lights and you don't have to change sockets.

CVOThunder

Thank you.

Finding this 69462-06D from the 2020 Big Book which gives me something to web browse. Looks like a single element post which would work, just wouldn't let me use my cheaper Chinese lights vs the more expensive HD branded Chinese lights. Looking now to see what others have found over the years. 

https://www.harley-davidson.com/eu/en/shop/Auxiliary-Brake-Light-Running-Light-Turn-Signal-Conversion-Kit/p/69462-06D

calif phil

Badlands and Custom Dynamics should have the RTB module that you need.

Coyote

Jim Bronson

I have the Custom Dynamics setup. They would know whether your LEDs are compatible with their module. My guess is that they are.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

CVOThunder

May 09, 2022, 04:37:00 PM #6 Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:42:11 PM by CVOThunder
Thank you all for your suggestions. If I wanted to keep the single element idea, Biketronics BT300 is another option. I've used Custom Dynamics in the past and swapped the LED fronts from my 2015 RG to my 2020 RGL. I'm cheap. Back to Grim Reapers missile/aircraft attach simulations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rym90jnQDsA

https://www.biketronics.com/categories/Lighting-Control/Rear-Lighting/

Rusticwater

I've been using both the Biketronics BT300 Run/Stop/Turn module along with their BT801 Smart Equalizer for almost 10 years now on my 2010 FXDC. They're plug and play and come with a lifetime warranty. The BT300 also has an additional feature/circuitry that turns the rear turn signals into parking lights when the bike is switched to Accessory.

I first tried the Badlands module but found that it caused both my speedometer and tachometer needles to continuously "jump" when the 4-way flashers were running. Their tech support said to connect an additional wire to the battery but I wanted a true plug and play solution.

FWIW, several years ago I posted a comparison of several LED replacement 1156 and 1157 style bulbs that I bought on Amazon if you're interested.
Support the Maine lobster industry

CVOThunder

Quote from: Rusticwater on May 10, 2022, 05:20:56 AMFWIW, several years ago I posted a comparison of several LED replacement 1156 and 1157 style bulbs that I bought on Amazon if you're interested.

Good to know about how the BT works. I'm searching your old posts for the LED test but a direct link would be cool. Thanks.

Coyote

CVOThunder

May 10, 2022, 03:17:30 PM #10 Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:24:02 PM by CVOThunder
That would take too many braincells. Thanks.

Should have used some of those braincells when I ordered the kit and chose 1157 front/1156 rear. Didn't even think about it at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08181JDNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1