April 27, 2024, 06:24:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Off-center rear wheel FXRS...Update

Started by JC 92FXRS, June 05, 2009, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC 92FXRS

In a previous post, the rear wheel had shifted to the right, sufficiently so, that the tire had cut my turn signal wiring. I had thought that I had bent the swingarm on a nasty rail crossing.
Well I jacked up the bike and checked the alignment of the rear against the front tire (as per the manual). Way, way out of spec. Aligned the drive-train and now all is well. Biggest PITA was redoing the wiring. Noticed that the front motor mount and the isolation links were not tight, so I guess it had been sliding over for some time (rear wheel was slightly right of center when I bought the bike seven years ago).
Thanks to all who replied and to Springer for the pic of his FXRT showing the stock wheel position...mine is now also a hair to the left, relative to the fender as well.
As an added bonus...the bike always liked to corner to the left better than to the right at highway speed, it just fell-off better to left. I always thought it was me being left-handed or some dumb thing...it's all good now though!! Who knew that both wheels pointing in the same direction would make a difference? :teeth:
Cheers and thanks for the suggestions.
Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"