April 26, 2024, 09:29:55 AM

News:

Early TC rear cam roller bearing race

Started by billbuilds, June 11, 2022, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

June 11, 2022, 07:42:50 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:47:09 AM by billbuilds Reason: add photo
    The roller bearing (rear cam) inner race is really snug on my rear S&S 570CE. I have a bearing splitter but there's no place to grab it. How do you guys go about removing these? Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

rigidthumper

June 11, 2022, 09:56:07 AM #1 Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:01:09 AM by rigidthumper
I use a split bearing puller, and grab it between the race and the cam- a little heat helps the race slide off.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

billbuilds

I have one but I'm finding that there's really nothing (no edge) for the blades to grab onto and it just slides on the race face. I'm contemplating using a dremel or die grinder to cut notches on opposing sides of the race so that the splitter won't (hopefully) slip. Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

Well I got the race off by notching it with a die grinder so that bearing splitter would grab but I made one too many passes on one side.  :banghead:  They didn't use the roller bearing in 99 and I'm not sure how far onto this now slightly notched journal the inner race is supposed to go. Should there be a space between it and the shoulder on the cam or should it butt right up to that shoulder like the old one did? Thanks, Bill

tdrglide

Seems to me the new bearing race would slide over that without issues. I'd run it if my bike. New race should go on as far back as old one. It's been awhile but I've done a couple. Never had to use a puller to get one off. Used a little heat from a brazing torch at least once to get one off

smoserx1

AFAIK it is supposed to go on far enough so that thrust washer (sill pictured) does not rotate.  Does the thrust washer have an o-ring behind it?  The Harley bearing "kit" used to contain the roller assembly, race, thrust washer and o-ring.  The bearing splitter should have been put on the inboard side of the thrust washer to remove the race, that is probably why you had trouble.  See service bulletin M-1097.  I would reuse that cam, I doubt the small score will hurt anything.

tdrglide

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 12, 2022, 12:47:13 PMAFAIK it is supposed to go on far enough so that thrust washer (sill pictured) does not rotate.  Does the thrust washer have an o-ring behind it?  The Harley bearing "kit" used to contain the roller assembly, race, thrust washer and o-ring.  The bearing splitter should have been put on the inboard side of the thrust washer to remove the race, that is probably why you had trouble.  See service bulletin M-1097.  I would reuse that cam, I doubt the small score will hurt anything.
Yes, you are correct

billbuilds

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 12, 2022, 12:47:13 PMAFAIK it is supposed to go on far enough so that thrust washer (sill pictured) does not rotate.  Does the thrust washer have an o-ring behind it?  The Harley bearing "kit" used to contain the roller assembly, race, thrust washer and o-ring.  The bearing splitter should have been put on the inboard side of the thrust washer to remove the race, that is probably why you had trouble.  See service bulletin M-1097.  I would reuse that cam, I doubt the small score will hurt anything.

Ok, thanks. I see now... and clearly shown in the diagram in the S&S instructions. :embarrassed: I obviously misunderstood what rigigthumper was telling me.

Yes, there's an o-ring behind it. I was really numbin' it in regard to the S&S diagram. Thanks for steering me to that Service Bulletin.

The new bearing race has been pressed into place. Thanks all for the replies, Bill