April 26, 2024, 09:44:26 PM

News:

T Man 590 In A Softail?

Started by WhipLash96, September 03, 2022, 05:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Who is using or has used the T-Man 590 in a Softail? What do you think or did you think of it?
Thanks,
Whip

Don D

WhipLash96

That there is a pretty nice build and the build sheet is close to what I came up with on my own. Thanks for sharing that.
Thanks,
Whip

Mad-Max

I am using the 590 on my 107 ultra build im happy with it

WhipLash96

So what is the overlap of this cam? I see that it shows 44 but when you do the math it is 38. What gives?
Thanks,
Whip

hrdtail78

I like the cam in 107's and 110's set around 10.8-11:1.  A decent pipe will allow it to turn on sooner than the sheet that is linked. 

Probably the difference in advertised opening and closing compared to actual.  I have noticed a few cams that advertise overlap in actual opening and closing and not at .053.  BUT it is usually only in car world.
Semper Fi

tdrglide

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 25, 2022, 08:05:24 AMSo what is the overlap of this cam? I see that it shows 44 but when you do the math it is 38. What gives?
I contacted Tman about this. Response was 38 degrees is the correct number. 44 is a typo.  Other timing events are correct

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

C-Cat

intake closing is 43 with the 590ps2's. I'm running them in a 110ci 2011 Roadglide with moderate compression around 10.5:1 HPI 55, Boarzilla, HVT Heads. Runs extremely well IMO.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Ohio HD

These 590-PS2 specs should be correct.   

WhipLash96

That is such a nice cam. Can't wait to do the build. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

Don D

Cams are not nice, build combinations are. Not a statement on the vendor/manufacturer either. The cam requirements differ from those builds with higher capacity heads compared to limited valve heads. This is not a brand/model choice; it is a timing optimized to best work with the other components toward the goal.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Don D on October 31, 2022, 06:22:17 AMCams are not nice, build combinations are. Not a statement on the vendor/manufacturer either. The cam requirements differ from those builds with higher capacity heads compared to limited valve heads. This is not a brand/model choice; it is a timing optimized to best work with the other components toward the goal.
Right, but the butt dyno will feel different from a bagger to a Softail. Let's just assume that the combination has been chosen. Don,maybe the 590's were chosen because of their timiming characteristics and not because of who they were designed by? I looked at a lot of cam choices and the 590's is what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

Whip, I don't believe Don was saying the 590 isn't a nice cam, but rather that a nice cam in the wrong build will not be a nice cam.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FXDBI

Quote from: Hossamania on October 31, 2022, 10:59:16 AMWhip, I don't believe Don was saying the 590 isn't a nice cam, but rather that a nice cam in the wrong build will not be a nice cam.

:agree:   its the combination of parts not just " The cam" is what I get from his post. And its very true.  Bob

Don D

Exactly
Case and point, an M8 can perform equally to a twin cam in most cases with -15 to-20 degrees duration and a +15 or so bias on the exhaust side. The M8 heads, however, are flowing as much air, intake side, at .300 lift as the twin cam at.600. Flow demand also factors in. And last but not least valve to valve clearance. If these great cams are going to have so much TDC lift that valves hit each other all bets are off.

WhipLash96

November 02, 2022, 06:03:49 AM #16 Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 06:22:27 AM by WhipLash96
Way too much puffy chest syndrome going on.

I just assumed that it would be understood that there is a combination already picked. This isn't my first rodeo. I don't need to be told that it's the entire combination that makes the build. I'll even go further to say that I don't much care if the combination is liked by others or not. I do what I want for me, not for others.

So, here's the intended build combination.

2016 Slim with 103
Going to 107 3.937 Bore
TMan 590 cam
6cc Dome pistons (depending on chamber volume)
Tman Headwork
Roller Rockers even though not really needed.
S&S Lifters
Want to go to gear drives but of course crank run out will dictate that.
Most likely will put S&S pump and plate in
 .030 head gasket.
HPI 58 TB
Thunderheader
Power Vision
Thanks,
Whip

Don D