May 01, 2024, 10:17:16 PM

News:

New woods bushing lifters

Started by itsafatboy, May 09, 2023, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

These look interesting.

https://www.woodcarbs.com/directional-roller-lifters

was going to get jims might call and see about running these with limiters, maybe he will do a trade in on his other lifters

tdrglide

May 10, 2023, 02:52:10 AM #1 Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:19:46 AM by tdrglide
Rigorously road tested 40+ hours @ 3000rpms doesn't sound too rigorous to me.
Pressure = 2.9 billion psi. ????

That said, I'd bet they're a high quality lifter. Didn't see a price

I have a set of Johnson hi-lift slow leak down lifters with direct shot running with 660 lift cams right now. I took the limiters out. Quite as a mouse  (in the Harley world)

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: tdrglide on May 10, 2023, 02:52:10 AMRigorously road tested 40+ hours @ 3000rpms doesn't sound too rigorous to me.

I have a set of Johnson hi-lift slow leak down lifters with direct shot running with 660 lift cams right now. I took the limiters out. Quite as a mouse
what model Johnson HY-Lift are you using? Mine have gotten noisy at75,000 miles. Thank you.

tdrglide

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on May 10, 2023, 03:08:33 AM
Quote from: tdrglide on May 10, 2023, 02:52:10 AMRigorously road tested 40+ hours @ 3000rpms doesn't sound too rigorous to me.

I have a set of Johnson hi-lift slow leak down lifters with direct shot running with 660 lift cams right now. I took the limiters out. Quite as a mouse
what model Johnson HY-Lift are you using? Mine have gotten noisy at75,000 miles. Thank you.
Was just poking a little fun on Wood's marketing skills, not his products, which are top rate.

kd

Quote from: itsafatboy on May 09, 2023, 10:37:39 PMThese look interesting.

https://www.woodcarbs.com/directional-roller-lifters

was going to get jims might call and see about running these with limiters, maybe he will do a trade in on his other lifters

The Wood website is very clear about no returns or exchanges.  :nix:
KD

jsachs1

Bagger

FWIW, this Wood lifter is manufactured by Hy-Lift Johnson, Top Line Automotive Engineering; the same company which makes WFO Larry's lifters.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Bagger on May 10, 2023, 02:32:05 PMFWIW, this Wood lifter is manufactured by Hy-Lift Johnson, Top Line Automotive Engineering; the same company which makes WFO Larry's lifters.

Then wouldn't that mean that Johnson Hy-Lift has been working on a bushing lifter.  Like others also offer. 
Semper Fi

wfolarry

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 10, 2023, 03:29:22 PM
Quote from: Bagger on May 10, 2023, 02:32:05 PMFWIW, this Wood lifter is manufactured by Hy-Lift Johnson, Top Line Automotive Engineering; the same company which makes WFO Larry's lifters.

Then wouldn't that mean that Johnson Hy-Lift has been working on a bushing lifter.  Like others also offer. 

The engineer at Hylift worked with Bob to develop this lifter.
Whether Hylift will offer their own version has yet to be confirmed. Or denied.  :smiled:

kd

Quote from: wfolarry on May 11, 2023, 05:27:41 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 10, 2023, 03:29:22 PM

The engineer at Hylift worked with Bob to develop this lifter.
Whether Hylift will offer their own version has yet to be confirmed. Or denied.  :smiled:

The days that roller service kits were available and commonly used are behind us.  A device kit for the bushing roller would be my preference. Sort of do it yourself.
KD

itsafatboy

So im on list for these talked to bobby today says they will be in july first , asked him about using limiters he said no need just run down to .140 or .150 so probably what ill do i have smith brother 20 tpi new pushrods so 2 + 5 flats should be good , not sure on growth with twincam no one really knows 

Ohio HD

I assume that you know those pushrods won't work with OEM style pushrod tubes? According to Smith Brothers they recommend their tubes and Colony tubes.

kd

June 13, 2023, 03:46:41 PM #12 Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 07:09:14 PM by kd
Quote from: itsafatboy on June 13, 2023, 03:05:51 PMSo im on list for these talked to bobby today says they will be in july first , asked him about using limiters he said no need just run down to .140 or .150 so probably what ill do i have smith brother 20 tpi new pushrods so 2 + 5 flats should be good , not sure on growth with twincam no one really knows 

Count on around .040 to .060 cylinder growth depending on how hot the engine is.  That means the .150 could become about .110 (ish).
KD

FSG

Quote from: kd on June 13, 2023, 03:46:41 PMThat means the .150 could become about .110 (ish).

I'd sure bee hoping so ..... 

running a PR too deep in a Lifter can cause problems by cutting off the oil flow in the lifter  ....

but as Bobby has said just run down to .140 or .150 prolly not a problem as I'd expect him to know the internal dimensions of his lifter

Wookie3011

Wookie3011

I've had 2 lifters fail to pump up with the jims #1827. I just bought the replacement for the 2nd failure. It always starts as a slight tick once warmed up. Over time it gets progressively worse. I called jims and the tech said "let me guess, rear exhaust?" It was front exhaust but I found it highly suspect that he offered that. Full disclosure I do beat on my bike. My experience is just one guy's. Once he heard I was running limiters in them he said I had altered the original design. I did:). I really do like the extra protection of not having those needle bearings. so I'm going to be getting the woods. I will let you know after a few thousand miles my experiences with them also.

Schex3x

Yea that threw me, what kind of test is that?
When we go out west, We leave home at 12am, burn through Texas at 3-3500r's and make it to Raton,NM at 5pm, 17 hours later.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Wookie3011 on August 25, 2023, 12:22:18 AMI've had 2 lifters fail to pump up with the jims #1827. I just bought the replacement for the 2nd failure. It always starts as a slight tick once warmed up. Over time it gets progressively worse. I called jims and the tech said "let me guess, rear exhaust?" It was front exhaust but I found it highly suspect that he offered that. Full disclosure I do beat on my bike. My experience is just one guy's. Once he heard I was running limiters in them he said I had altered the original design. I did:). I really do like the extra protection of not having those needle bearings. so I'm going to be getting the woods. I will let you know after a few thousand miles my experiences with them also.

Since you had two lifters that don't pump up, I assume the same location, front exhaust? Try moving that lifter to the rear cylinder and see what happens. Also look at the lifter fit in the bore for the front exhaust. Too much clearance may cause an issue with lifter fill.

Wookie3011

It was rear exhaust and front intake. I can fill the lifters with oil and still press the piston/plunger in with my finger on both. They don't hold pressure anymore. When I say fill them, I have directly pumped oil into them with a hand pump and soaked them for a day in oil. No air bubbles. All the other lifters would have to be bled down slowly while these other 2 allow the oil to escape with the press of my finger with just spring pressure countering not oil. Maybe it's the limiters causing the failures? I will remove them and adjust normally. I must admit it's not a big adjustment off the bottom with 2 flats then tighten. I've considered maybe I'm adjusting them to tight and am damaging them that way. I am extremely careful and patient with the process.

Ohio HD

If you did happen to make them too tight, it won't hurt anything. It just means the piston in the lifter is sitting on the limiter spacer. Which they do by design when the lifter bleeds down from sitting long enough. The purpose is so that you get valve lift to aid in starting the motor.

I would agree, try without the limiter and see what happens.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 27, 2023, 08:33:30 AMIf you did happen to make them too tight, it won't hurt anything. It just means the piston in the lifter is sitting on the limiter spacer. Which they do by design when the lifter bleeds down from sitting long enough. The purpose is so that you get valve lift to aid in starting the motor.

I would agree, try without the limiter and see what happens.

Or maybe take them apart on a white paper towel and look for dirt or engine filings.  The lifters will be the canary in the cold mine if the oil was contaminated.  It may even have occurred during a previous maintenance repair or oil and filter change.  A less than surgical clean oil pump bottle used to fill the lifters will do it too.
KD

harpwrench

Try backing off from bottom just enough that you can twist the pushrod with a slight drag.

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on August 27, 2023, 10:54:05 AMOr maybe take them apart on a white paper towel and look for dirt or engine filings.  The lifters will be the canary in the cold mine if the oil was contaminated.  It may even have occurred during a previous maintenance repair or oil and filter change.  A less than surgical clean oil pump bottle used to fill the lifters will do it too.
True enough. One of my NOS HD 'B' lifters that I put limiters in tapped every now and again after startup. And sometimes out of the blue would tap. Eventually it stopped tapping. I figure that there may have been a spec of dirt in the lifter, or maybe specs of dirt occasionally entering the lifter.

As rigidthumper says, "the best oil filter on Earth is a hydraulic lifter".

Wookie3011

Sounds like a good idea. I'll lpull them apart and inspect them while I measure the bores. Thanks

itsafatboy

Wondering on the lifter retain clip these have the paper clip style does it make any difference. i have some circlips from lifter same size ID or is this just dumb,