May 02, 2024, 04:55:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adding timing to 96"

Started by mike 120, June 09, 2009, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ederdelyi

No need to argue ... whatever works. My philosphy is and always will be that one must give the engine what it wants to be "happy". The SE Race Tuner for carb bikes is a good ignition as are the DTT units. I've used both with great success, I just wish the SE unit would work with the earlier non-serial buss models.

I don't bash products or vendors ... just don't think it's the right thing to do as the problem could be nothing more than my perception or lack of understanding/expertise to make it work as intended.

05FLHTC

Touche' ED

I appreciate your feedback... :beer:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

mayor

Quote from: ederdelyi on June 11, 2009, 08:01:09 AM
The more open the exhaust, the more likely that it will have the "rice crispies" at some point during decel. It takes place in the pipe, not in the cylinder and has no downside other than annoyance to some.

The most common "fix" with EFI is to add a little fuel in the high vacuum/low TPS map cells to reduce the tendancy for the pipe to ignite the air/fuel vapor in the pipe. Listen to a race car with open exhaust on decel ... think it's a concern for the tuner? :>) Sometimes a little tweak on timing in these areas can help as well, but don't get too "tricky", it could backfire on ya (pun intended).

thanks Ed.  I suspected his pipes were part of the problem (V&H big shots).  I'm running a more baffled muffler (ST IDS) and I'm getting only a small amount of poping on rare occasion.  I'm going to see if tweaking the timing a touch quites him down.  His issue is he works second shift and his neighbors do not.   :wink:  I guess his bike has a habit of announcing his arrival when he pulls in to his house late at night.  

:teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Don D

June 11, 2009, 09:50:27 AM #53 Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:16:11 PM by Deweysheads
Remember old cars had vacuum advance, and pre-emissions this was full manifold vacuum and post emissions this got changed to ported spark then later yet no vacuum advance until it was switched on by a solenoid valve. The crude predecessors to ECU controlled spark and emission schemes. The late 60's muscle cars had less vacuum advance and it dropped out a lot sooner than the stock counterparts. Full vacuum advance at idle produced poor HC and CO levels which initiated the changes. High overlap cams worked the same way on HC levels.
Notice in the day the very high compression motors had no vacuum advance. Of course they had erratic vacuum at low speeds due to high overlap cams that would have caused some very undesirable low speed running manors that is if these cars were even operated there and a vacuum advance was used.
IE L-88 Corvette 427, a dummy vacuum can

Admiral Akbar

QuoteI know Max is not sold & maybe I have created a mountain out of a molehill, but my exhaust pipe is running cleaner from this timing change & in my feeble mind it makes me think that everything else must also be running cleaner as well...

Hey if you are happy, I'm happy.. If I want my pipes cleaned I go find the ol' lady..  :wink:  In the mean time I'll live with that carbon layer that acts as a good thermal barrier..

Max

05FLHTC

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on June 11, 2009, 09:32:20 PM
Hey if you are happy, I'm happy.. If I want my pipes cleaned I go find the ol' lady..  :wink:  In the mean time I'll live with that carbon layer that acts as a good thermal barrier..

Max

I hope she does not visit this site...or you might end up doing a load by hand :idea:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Admiral Akbar

QuoteI hope she does not visit this site...or you might end up doing a load by hand

:teeth: Max