April 27, 2024, 09:35:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vibration (Buzz) at certain RPM

Started by perk_dp, August 11, 2023, 03:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perk_dp

2011 Road King - Stock - 96 - Six Speed 
After installing the SE Compensator upgrade, I have a vibration (Buzz) at certain RPMs. 
I don't have a tach so I'm not sure about the RPM ranges but happens in any gear just about shift time. 
If cruising at 70 mph in 6th, it's smooth until an incline where speed drops off. 
Buzz\Vibration 60ish to 70 bad at 65. 

My questions are; (1) are the springs in the SE Compensator strong enough that it is transferring the crankshaft vibrations\harmonics through the drive train?   (2) is there an "alignment mark" on the SE Compensator that is supposed to match up with something?  if so, it was never mentioned in the install instructions

Tacocaster

So, no vibration(s) before the upgrade to the new SE Comp? No wonder you think that upgrade has something to do with the issue, yes.

1. Many of us have installed the newer SE Comp without this result so I doubt the spring strength is the culprit but I have to wonder if you got the orientation of the springs correct. The instructions can be misleading to some if not careful. Further, there is a thread or two here in HTT regarding the spring stack height and how to measure it. Additional springs are available from HD to meet that requirement.
2. There is no specific alignment marks for a SE Comp installation but setting the retaining bolt to proper torque is critical. Adjustment of your Primary Chain is also certainly something you should be aware of, especially if you upgraded to the newer OEM Chain adjuster.

Assume your riding technique has not changed, has it? I mean, you're not extending the RPM range to a higher shift point more than before. Where it's not mentioned, it's probably a stupid question because I should assume no, but I ask anyway.

We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

perk_dp

1.   I went back in and double checked the spring stack against the install instructions, and unless I'm extremely dense :idunno: ,  the spring stack is correct.     I also measured the chain alignment per instructions I found in the shop manual. 

2.  The bolt was torqued per the install instructions.  And the primary chain tensioner is Harley's stock automatic tensioner.

3.  I don't believe I've changed riding style.  But if so it would be shifting and cruising at higher rpms to get through the vibration zones. 

Coyote

Did you R&R the exhaust for any reason?

perk_dp

I have only removed the slip-ons to change rear tire 

Tacocaster

"Changed rear tire"...New tire? Balanced?
The plot thickens.....
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

perk_dp

yep,  new tire, balanced.  new bearings. belt adjusted.  tire straight (axle measured on both ends)

i'll add;     running stock pipes with V&H slash down slip-ons.  stock air cleaner.
               power commander 5  with  M15-011-009.pvm   (2010-2013 Harley Davidson Touring model, Stock 2 into 2 exhaust, Stock air filter, Stock ECM)

Hossamania

Might as well double check exhaust mounts, check for anything else that may have a chance to be out of place. Exhaust is always a strong suspect when dealing with vibration. It seems doubtful that the compensator itself is causing the issue, unless it is severely out of balance due to a manufacturing defect.
Have you pulled the primary cover to check runout on the comp and clutch basket? Maybe something will show there. Tight spot on the chain?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

perk_dp

i've checked and re-checked exhaust mounting can't find anything out of place / touching frame. 
i've not checked the runout.     didn't notice any tight spots in the chain. 

JSD

Fugawee

Besides all that was previously mentioned, just gonna' throw out a few things here that have caused Me some Vibration Issues in the past that drove Me nuts....

Loose Engine Mounting Bolts.
Loose Tranny Mounting Bolts.
Loose Shock Mounting Bolts.
Loose Saddlebags Latches.
Loose Saddlebag Mounting Hardware, and Support Arms.
Loose Crash Bar.
Loose Rider and Passenger Footboards/Pegs and Mounts.
Loose Kickstand Mounting Bolts.
Loose Detachable Whatever's.
Loose Front-End Stem Nut and Pinch Bolts.
Loose Handlebar Risers, and Mounting Caps.
Front/Rear Wheel Balance Weights missing.

All of the above Issues (as well as a few more) were found on Various Years and Models of H-D's...and mostly after I did some type of Upgrade or Modification.
I would drive Myself berserk trying to find out where it was coming from and would repeatedly go back and look at what I had recently upgraded.
The majority of the time the problem had nothing at all to do with what I had worked on.

Do You feel the Vibration in Your Arms?  Or all thru-out You when Riding?
Does the Handling, Shifting, and Braking appear to be the same as it was prior to the SE Compensator?

perk_dp

Fugawee -- I like your list!      I've gone over most those items and found nothing. But will go back over it. 
I feel the vibration in the floorboards and seat (kind of all over).  And strong on my ankle when I put it against the shifter shaft.
All the handling, braking, shifting feel the same as before. 

JSD -- I went back into the primary cover and checked the Torque on both the Compensator Bolt and Clutch Basket. 
          As well as the chain alignment, tension and tensioner while in there.      All were at spec.  

Fugawee

When the Rear Tire was replaced...was the Rear Pulley and Brake Rotor On or Off when the Wheel/Tire was balanced?

motorhogman

01 FLHT. Chased a vibration all over the place.. Turned out to be the rear bumper cracked and broke where it attaches to the fender strut.. Vibration was every where, especially bad in the bars and foot boards.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

Quote from: motorhogman on August 14, 2023, 10:39:41 AM01 FLHT. Chased a vibration all over the place.. Turned out to be the rear bumper cracked and broke where it attaches to the fender strut.. Vibration was every where, especially bad in the bars and foot boards.

Good call, I forgot about that one, and I replaced mine too.

Fugawee

I just went thru that about a month ago on My 94' FLHTC.
The Left Side was cracked down at the Saddlebag and Bumper Support Bracket.

perk_dp

thanks for all the feedback. 

both tires balanced with brake rotor(s) on.  belt sprocket off. 

I'll also check the rear fender/Saddlebag/Bumper Support Bracket.

Motor -- I found my points and condenser.      On a shelf.  Way in the back.    :soda:

Fugawee

Just a couple of comments here...and maybe a suggestion.

I have used the same Tire Guy for Routine Tire Changes since 1985.
A couple of times while on the Road I had no choice but to go to an HD Dealer due to a Flat Rear Tire.
All of those times My Rear Wheel was balanced with the Rear Belt Pulley, and the Brake Rotor mounted.
Same thing with the Rotor(s) installed if it was the Front.
One time I brought the Rear Wheel to the Tire Guy minus the Pulley and Rotor and He told Me to go Home and bring them back so He could balance the Wheel properly.
I'm not 100% sure what is right or wrong there.
I prefer to have them balanced with all Parts mounted to the Wheel.
And I have never had an issue with the Wheel not being balanced correctly by both the Tire Guy, and the Dealer balancing with those Parts mounted on the Wheel(s).
I will have to assume that You re-installed Your Belt Pulley.
Is there a possible chance that the Pulley may not be seated correctly on the Wheel?
In other words...a little "cocked", so to speak?
Causing the Belt to not ride evenly.
Is the Belt too tight?
Is there a possible chance that One or more of the Pulley Mounting Bolts are not Tight, and/or maybe Torqued in-correctly?

How many Miles are on the Bike?
What type of Wheels?  Spokes? Stock? etc.

roadkingdresser

Had a saddlebag not in the latch on the inside,drove me crazy till I found it. Also the rubber insert for the exhaust may need replaced.
roadkingdresser

Fugawee

Along the Saddlebag Line...
A few years ago, a Buddy of Mine bought a Used 12' FLHRK from a Private Seller.
Nice Bike, Well Maintained...except for One Minor Issue.
On the Ride home with His New Toy He felt a Vibration and heard something Rat-a-tat-tatting.
Uh-oh...WTF?
After getting Home and checking out all the Usual Suspects...the Right-Side Saddlebag was missing the Two Half Round Rubber Cushions that mount under the Bag and sit on the Rail.
He replaced them and all was well.  No more Vibration...No more Noise.
Where they went?  Who knows.
Sometimes the Stupidest things will drive You Nuts.
Cheap Fix.

perk_dp

All good suggestions Fugawee.   My bike has about 26,000 miles on it. 
On the tires;  I mounted and balanced them myself on Stock/Mag rims. Though a bit of a pain, I balanced with the Belt Sprocket and Rotor in place. And used a mark on the sprocket and wheel to keep aligned during re-install.    Belt adjustment is in spec.  I even bought the little measuring tool to check it with. 

Fugawee

The Exhaust System was previously mentioned...how about Heat Shields?
Or a Loose/Broken Baffle inside the Muffler(s)?
Other than that...I'm at a loss presently.
If I can get My Brain to vibrate...I will try to offer some more.
Someone else here may come up with the culprit.

motorhogman

In regard to balancing tires, I haven't balanced a tire in years. I use Ride ON.  Granted I don't run 100 mph for long distances but 75 to 80 on occasion. 0 vibration or tire balance symptoms. Friend of mine with fancy big $$$$ wheels uses Beads.. Same result.. Smooth. For those who follow Kevin Baxter's Garage he also uses Beads on nice wheels.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Hossamania

It doesn't sound like balancing issue, it seems an rpm issue.

Fugawee

I'm stumped...
No Problem with Vibration/Noise until the SE Upgrade?

I think that it is either an RPM Issue due to something with the New SE Compensator, but Perk says that He has checked it a few times and it appears OK.
Or a Balancing Issue.

It was stated that the Rear Tire was Replaced, New Bearings, etc. and Balanced.
One Post says that it was balanced without the Rear Pulley mounted, which is what lead Me to wonder about a Balancing Issue, and another says it was balanced with the Pulley on.
OK...maybe no Balancing Issue.

The Mufflers had to be removed in order to replace the Rear Wheel/Tire, as well as the Saddlebags which I will assume were removed for that whole operation.
That is what lead Me to Exhaust System and the Saddlebags themselves, as well as any and all Mounting Hardware.

I don't know...but I think that at this point in time if it doesn't prove to be anything stupid with all the fore mentioned suggestions by All, that I would be going once again back into the Primary Area and checking it all out again.
The SE Compensator, Clutch Hub Nut, Chain/Adjuster, Inner Primary for tightness, etc.
And also, the Tranny Shifter Arms behind the Inner Primary and the one Up Front, and the Foot Shift Lever(s) themselves.
And the Starter Mounting Bolts going into the Inner Primary.