April 27, 2024, 04:42:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Batterys

Started by Tollbooth, November 16, 2023, 03:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollbooth

My battery is 2 years old and is weak. It is a HD. It is on a battery maintainer but is cranking slow.
Anyone have an idea as to what battery to purchase? This is on a 2016 Limited 103 ci.
Thanks
Tollbooth

Tacocaster

We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

I know it doesn't show true condition of the battery, but what is the voltage after sitting for a day with no charger on it?
Which maintainer are you using, and how old is it?
Does it crank faster if you jump the battery? This to determine if a different issue, such as loose cables, bad starter (doubtful), etc.

As far as recommendations go, I have a 7 year old Duracell from Batteries Plus that is still working.
I bought a Drag Specialties battery from my independent dealer this summer to replace another 7 year old Duracell for peace of mind, it was working ok, so we'll see how long that one lasts.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bump

I have been using AGM battery in both bikes for a couple years now. Got them at O'reilly Auto parts, cheaper than most other places and seems to last well.

nibroc

thanks for that "bump"

calif phil

Deka and Yuasa are USA made and both are excellent batteries, sold under many different labels.   Can't go wrong with either one. 

Jim Bronson

I don't know who is making HD batteries, but I installed one about two years ago, and I'm impressed. I ride usually 2-3 times per week, and it always spins like a top. I seldom use a tender unless it sits longer than 2-3 weeks (almost never). Maybe I just got a good one.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

HogMike

My OEM battery on my 2019 cvo is still cranking fine. 78k miles and LOTS of starts.

One of our parts guys told me a couple of years ago don't get the lithium Harley battery. They had too many returns!

:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

fbn ent

Quote from: HogMike on November 16, 2023, 10:38:44 AMMy OEM battery on my 2019 cvo is still cranking fine. 78k miles and LOTS of starts.

One of our parts guys told me a couple of years ago don't get the lithium Harley battery. They had too many returns!

2024-2019=5 years. That is the most I'll let mine go. They can start fine and then, in the worst possible situation i.e. when riding, just quit. Ask me how I know  :emoGroan: .
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

HogMike

Quote from: Tollbooth on November 16, 2023, 03:46:37 AMMy battery is 2 years old and is weak. It is a HD. It is on a battery maintainer but is cranking slow.
Anyone have an idea as to what battery to purchase? This is on a 2016 Limited 103 ci.
Thanks
Tollbooth

Load test....
Some parts houses will do that for free if you don't have a tester.
Seems like a short life for an OEM Harley battery.
 :scratch:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Quote from: fbn ent on November 16, 2023, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: HogMike on November 16, 2023, 10:38:44 AMMy OEM battery on my 2019 cvo is still cranking fine. 78k miles and LOTS of starts.

2024-2019=5 years. That is the most I'll let mine go. They can start fine and then, in the worst possible situation i.e. when riding, just quit. Ask me how I know  :emoGroan: .

I'll change my batteries when I notice a hard start situation.
I've always had pretty good luck with the OEM battery or a quality USA made battery.

As an aside, I'm using my old wet cell battery off my 1965 pan to run my little lift winch.
Gotta be about 10-15 years now! I keep the fluid up and hooked to a good NOCO tender.
Wouldn't trust it on the bike but it's still working fine!
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Tacocaster

I'm not a Battery Engineer but am aware an old battery removed from its intended service can and will serve another purpose (as HogMike shared) for potentially many additional years of life (assuming the cells aren't shorted-out, of course).

In my simple mind I see it like this:
It really has a lot to do with the initial CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) requirement of the "second-life" application.
When new, the initial demand on a battery placed in-service is how the industry rates them (CCA).  While a battery's Amp Hours are also an important requirement for certain applications, short, hard hits - like an HD engine fire-up. is dependant on CCA. But....if it will no longer spin your HD motor, it will very likely spin a less demanding application. That's CCA. Meanwhile, duration of load demand (battery draw-down without charging support) falls to Amp Hour ratings.

We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

smoserx1

:agree: Couldn't have said it better.

Tollbooth

Thanks All.
After 1 Day without HD charger.12.67 v.
Will check tororrow.

This was the last year of the 103 Twin cam. It came with a cam and higher compression pistons from the factory.(Idles like :turd:) but really goes!  What is happening, sometimes on cool start, it cranks slow. Thought the compression release was not working. I solved it in the past by buying a new HD battery but every 2 years is to often.

Hossamania

After you check your standing voltage again, check your running voltage, cold and warm.
Check cranking voltage as well.

billbuilds

November 18, 2023, 03:01:16 AM #15 Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:56:41 AM by FSG
Quote from: Hossamania on November 16, 2023, 06:13:48 AMI know it doesn't show true condition of the battery, but what is the voltage after sitting for a day with no charger on it?
Does it crank faster if you jump the battery? This to determine if a different issue, such as loose cables, bad starter (doubtful), etc.

As far as recommendations go, I have a 7 year old Duracell from Batteries Plus that is still working
I bought a Drag Specialties battery from my independent dealer this summer to replace another 7 year old Duracell for peace of mind, it was working ok, so we'll see how long that one lasts.

Lead acid or AGM? I see that they offer both.

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Hossamania

Quote from: billbuilds on November 18, 2023, 03:01:16 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 16, 2023, 06:13:48 AMI know it doesn't show true condition of the battery, but what is the voltage after sitting for a day with no charger on it?

As far as recommendations go, I have a 7 year old Duracell from Batteries Plus that is still working

Lead acid or AGM? I see that they offer both.

Honestly I don't even know. They had a cheaper Chinese one, and a more expensive American made model. Shockingly, my cheap ass chose the better of the two. I imagine it is AGM if that was the difference.

booker49

i keep my harley battery on tender in my garage year round. i only replace it every 6-7 years even though it still cranks fine.

Tollbooth

Quote from: Tollbooth on November 17, 2023, 04:39:23 PMThanks All.
After 1 Day without HD charger.12.67 v.
Will check tororrow.

This was the last year of the 103 Twin cam. It came with a cam and higher compression pistons from the factory.(Idles like :turd:) but really goes!  What is happening, sometimes on cool start, it cranks slow. Thought the compression release was not working. I solved it in the past by buying a new HD battery but every 2 years is to often.

Battery off HD maintainer Day 1 12.67v
                          Day 2 12.65v
With Ign on drop to --------    11.74v
When starting dropped to---------9.50v starts and runs fine.
New battery???
Thanks

It would be easy if Hoss would do the battery shopping for Me. (7year battery).

Hossamania

According to this chart, your battery is about done. 12.67v is 80% charge, 11.74 is about 10%, 9.5v is just too low.

Go hit Batteries Plus for that Duracell and a new Tender ....

https://footprinthero.com/lead-acid-battery-voltage-charts

smoserx1

There was a discussion here several years ago about the life of AGM batteries and IIRC most of the more "respected" participants at the time recommended proactively replacing these batteries every 3 years regardless.  I am still riding my soon to be classic 99 FLHT and it's original flooded battery only lasted 2 years.  The replacement one was an AGM and it didn't do much better.  I have only had two that I pushed past the 4 year mark  and one was weak as hell by then and the other seemed ok then totally died with no warning at all.  Yes 2 years seems low but it is still in that range of expected longevity.  Yes I know some people have gotten 7+ years out of one, and some people also live to be 100 years old too, but most don't.  Just buy you a new battery....the handwriting is on the wall.

Hossamania

I agree on keeping trustful batteries in the bike. I only keep running the old one because I'm not touring with that bike, and it's just a point of pride to keep it going. The other bike also had a 7 year old battery but changed it because of a trip this past summer and didn't necessarily trust it. If it failed, I only had me to blame.

tdrglide

I have a 5 year old twin power Li battery. Seems to have to "wake up" at warmer than before temps lately. Plan on replacing with AGM soon.
By the way, have you looked at the price of batteries lately? :crook: I had not.

boooby1744

Quote from: tdrglide on November 18, 2023, 04:54:28 PMI have a 5 year old twin power Li battery. Seems to have to "wake up" at warmer than before temps lately. Plan on replacing with AGM soon.
By the way, have you looked at the price of batteries lately? :crook: I had not.
I have the same battery,6 1/2 yrs old and works fine;i no longer ride under 45*. The . Went to look for a new one, they no longer sell them. Only a AGM or gel...

hi$toy

contact Battery Mart, tell them year-make -model, get a Big Crank from them, will be ready to fire up when you get it, been using them for 20 yrs now, on several different bikes, deka made best on the market