May 04, 2024, 11:09:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2009 throttle control

Started by Golfman, November 01, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golfman

My new FLHX's cableless throttle control is giving me problems. There is a significant "dead spot" when you first take off and you can move the throttle (after the slack has been taken up) about 4 or 5 degrees and "nothing" and then it you give it more throttle and it jumps forward. Its particular difficult when starting out and trying to make a slow sharp left hand turn because you feel the need for more throttle to stop from dropping it and then it will "jump" forward - almost as if the sensors are reading 5 degree throttle as zero.
What's the consenus
Golfman (Dave)

Tre_11 FLHX

November 01, 2008, 06:48:49 PM #1 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:51:42 AM by mzodarg
Dave- Have the same problem on my 09 UC- It is almost like a delay- scared the crap out of me more than once.  Put about 2200 miles on her in a month-still gets me once in awhile.  Hope someone knows of fix.

11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Valley

If you have a super tuner you have this adjustment.
Throttle Progressivity:

Throttle  Progressivity is available for Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) vehicles only.
Throttle Progressivity is a variable that allows the individual to adjust how closely the throttle plate follows the twist grip.  You will be able to program progressive throttle opening with this feature.
The table column headings represent the twist grip position in percent.  The table row headings represent engine rpm.  The values in the table are the 'Progressivity' values in percent.
If you want the throttle plate to exactly follow the twist grip you would make the values under a particular column heading the same percentage as the column heading itself.  For example, under a column heading of '40% Twist Grip Position' the table values would be changed to 40 in each of the cells in that column.
If the tuner wants the throttle plate to 'lag' the twist grip to help eliminate engine 'bog', then the values in a twist grip column would start at a low value and progressively increase to the same value that is that column's header.

Golfman

Thanks for that comment about the Super Tuner. I was going to purchase a Power Commander because I am very familiar with how it works and how to change the maps. When I use the Power Commander for idle and full throotle will that do the same thing?

Valley

The 09 tour pc has not been released yet. It is a totally new unit and I don't know if it will be able to adjust the throttle Progressivity

Tre_11 FLHX

What about the TTS Mastertune- Is there a setting I can adjust?
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

ViennaHog

MasterTune and SuperSert have the same throttle adjustment table. PC does not have this capability. I played with the feature several times and it actually works very noticeably. The 2008 stock bikes need some getting used to and the taller gearing doesn't really help a smooth take off. 

HDDOC

Can not help you with the 09pc, But the 08 pc stoped that problem on my 08.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

tmsimmon

Seems like a safety issue... I'd take it back to the dealer and register a complaint.
Or can you use a race tuner without affecting your warranty?

Golfman

ValleyRacing: Where are you guys located? I have been talking to Dustin at PC; and I guess the new unit will be out very shortly - within a week or two. I had neglected to ask him whether or not the new unit will correct for this problem.
Golfman (Dave)

Valley

I'm in the far south burbs of chicago,Beecher,IL. How about you?

crazybastid83

On the tbw bikes, you have to shut it off at the ignition switch not the kill switch. If you shut it off by the kill switch and accidentilly hit the throttle, it stores it in memory.

Golfman

Coyote

I was told, so I can't say I know for sure, that the 08's on were limited (by software) on throttle response to help with the crankshaft problems. From a programmers standpoint, it would make sense to limit the torque to hide a design deficiency in the mechanical design. Anyone else know more about this?

fxrp

> Seems like a safety issue... I'd take it back to the dealer . . . [/color]

I agree with that big time. If the tuners can adjust the "progressivity" (is that really a word?) then Digital Tech can. I'd make the dealer adjust it to my liking and document it so if it goes out of adjustment they can do it again under warranty.

Paul

jsachs1

Very interesting,cause this is a major complaint/problem,that seems to become way more prononunced when engine mods are introduced.Will check with Mastertune.
John

axtell

We have a 107ci FLHX (2009) that I just adjusted the blade position yesterday....I made the blade angle agree with the column heading as suggested.....Major inprovement!!!!!!!!!  I had been working on the fuel curves and the throttle lag would change with each upload....When I went back and looked @ each upload the throttle position setting were changing each time...don't know why but is something you want to look @ before you load a revised map....Ron

Golfman

GREAT COMMENTS HERE. I am going to print this out for the dealer who is doing my 1,000 mile on the 18th.

Axtell: What are you working with? Harley's Race Tuner, Power Commander, or ??? - when you are making these adjustments. I was going to install the PC V when it is available, only because I am familiar with them and not sure I would know my way around thr Race Tuner. If I put a Race Tuner on it can I hook up my laptop and modify the maps, or do I need the dealer and his dyno?
Golfman (Dave)

Moke

Dave
           Don't put a PcIII on your new bike!!!!!! Get a HD super tuner.....You have  speed density with the Delphi system now.PCIII will bring you back in time to Alpha N. technology.....2001 and earlier for touring bikes.
                       You wouldn't buy a new plasma TV then cover up the picture with a sheet and just listen to the sound.Don't do the same thing to your new bike...
If you don't know much.....You can't do much.

axtell

Golfman:  TTS....P.S. whats your handicap? :D

FLTRI

Quote from: Moke on November 04, 2008, 02:39:26 PM
Dave
          Don't put a PcIII on your new bike!!!!!! Get a HD super tuner.....You have speed density with the Delphi system now.PCIII will bring you back in time to Alpha N. technology.....2001 and earlier for touring bikes.
                      You wouldn't buy a new plasma TV then cover up the picture with a sheet and just listen to the sound.Don't do the same thing to your new bike...

Whoa there. The PC doesn't change the way the EFI works at all, just increases and decreases the output from the ECM. Still speed density as the ECM is still calling the shots.
Note: The Delphi VE tables are based on TP vs rpm, just like the PC.

It will be interesting to see if the 09 PC will allow the throttle blade progressitivity to be altered.
Bob

PS -I would opt for the Matertune over the Super Tuner, for no other reason, Mastertune has great customer support and the SEST has none, unless of course, you are a dealer or hooked to one. Then all you will deal with is days to get answers.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Golfman

AXTEL:
My local dealer was just talking me into the TTS today versus the race Tuner. They have a sale this weekend so I will pick one up. I hope I can figure it out. My laptop has Windows XP with UBS ports  - is that good enough ??
I am my own handicap !!!!
Golfman (Dave)

axtell

I can't tell you if your computer has enough horsepower to work but I would guess your OK...get the needed cables when you buy the unit....I have good clubs and a bad swing :)

FLTRI

Quote from: axtell on November 05, 2008, 12:06:06 PM
I can't tell you if your computer has enough horsepower to work but I would guess your OK...get the needed cables when you buy the unit....I have good clubs and a bad swing :)

Simply pick up the phone and call them (310-669-8101). They will help you with any questions and configuration issues you have.
Bob

rigidthumper

November 06, 2008, 04:12:39 AM #24 Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:15:04 AM by rigidthumper
Slight lag is built in- the complaints of 08 high idle resulted in the software change. Seems the high idle was caused by a slight rotation of the twist grip at shut down/key off, and the system takes the average of the last few shut down positions to determine "0". Remember, the throttle blade is also the idle air control, so if what it believes is 0 is actually something else, then the whole thing is off, and it has a direct effect on the idle speed and off idle performance.  Because the throttle blade is the IAC, "0" TP is usually 3-6%, depending on temp. Try the TP reset procedure; run/stop in the run position, hand off the throttle, key on for 10 sec, off for 10 sec, X4.  If nothing changes, the system is running WNL.
HTH
Robin
my handicap is my face :o
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tre_11 FLHX

tried the following today- Lag is gone!  Throttle response is like as if it were cable controlled

Jeepster

I think what some people are feeling or I should say are not feeling is feed back from the throttle like you would from a throttle with cables. There is a certain amount of "play" the throttle (grip) has before the cable becomes tight and ready to open the throttle plate. With the FBW you don't have that "feel".  At least that is what I'm seeing or feeling.  I have an '09 as well and I had a really hard time getting use to going around corners. What works for me is "brake torquing". I use a little rear brake at the same I start applying some throttle as I go around the corner. All done at the same time it takes away the feeling of the bike wanting to fall over and the sudden acceleration that you might get when you add more power.

Hope this helps
09 Ultra
Jaag 10 row cooler
Amsoil Nanofiber airfilter CVO Muffler TTS Tuner

Golfman

Jeepster:
That is exactly how I have been getting around the problem, temporarily.
I do, however, like the idea of a TTS to "fix" the problem and the "twist grip position" fix  as shown above. On Sat. I will purchase the TTS and have the dealer load the ECM mods for my mufflers and intake and do the twist grip position fix.
Then I will take the TTS home and learn how it works myself for future changes.
Thanks All.

crazybastid83

Why not try the easy route and do what I suggested? Just shut it off by the ignition switch, rather than the kill switch? It is free.

FLTRI

"Why not try the easy route and do what I suggested? Just shut it off by the ignition switch, rather than the kill switch?"
Cause that will only work when the throttle position is out of phase.

The MOCO purposely programmed a "dead spot" in the system. Not sure what they were hoping for but it didn't work and that's why the TTS/ST is the fix. It needs the throttle progresitivity to be altered back to where the hessitation is gone.

Bob

fxrp

The MOCO purposely programmed a "dead spot" in the system. Not sure what they were hoping for . . .

UHHHH sales of tuning devices?

Tre_11 FLHX

November 10, 2008, 11:47:53 PM #31 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:49:44 PM by mzodarg
I read that the MoCo did this lag, due to liability reasons.  Lean surge was what I understood.  Since my scoot is no longer cooking my nads, I applied the values in the above throttle blade control.  Worked great, has the same response as a properly adjust cable throttle.  Also a note to remember.
Shut the bike off at the ignition switch not the the kill switch, this will ensure that you don't accidentally roll the throttle and prevent the High idle.

Just my experience and .02 cents.

Regards,
Mike

Grumpy : (

Axtell, his hadicap is that he's OLD!  LOL

I have an 08 RG and never had the dead spot on acceleration.  You do need a few extra rpms when taking off though, it seems to lug if you don't.  The gap I've noticed was on deceleration when coasting down real slow for a turn onto a side street, etc.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

axtell

I have underware older than some of you... :wink:

Kuda

Probably NOT what you're talking about, but on my '09 Ultra I noticed the throttle was "sticky," as in you'd start to roll on the throttle and it wouldn't move for a second, then "pop!" it'd break free and launch you. After urinating me off many times in the last few weeks (~2K miles) I finally pulled it down to take a look. Turns out it was just a bit dry.  A short sharp shot of silly-cone spray and all is well with the world.  Oh, and I made another interesting (to me) discovery: the '09's are pre-wired for heated grips.  They just plug into the end of the throttle control...

-Kuda