April 27, 2024, 03:32:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1995 softail charging system questions

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, July 25, 2009, 07:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Hey all,

I generally hang on the twin cam section but I have a EVO question.

Here is the deal, Friend has a 1995 stock softail. battery is not staying charged.

WHat is know and new.
Brand new Harley battery,
Cables cleaned and reconnected.

What I need to know if someone could reply is,

How to test the stator, what meter leads to what wires and specifically what the meter readings should be ( ohms) I guess.

The regulator, what can be tested and if so what wires and what meter readings should be seen.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!
Member since 2004

stroker800

To check charging,,,start off with a continuity test from stator pins to cases ,,if there is continuity there you have a short in the stator...then start bike ,use AC on the meter to check the stator,at idle there should be bout 30-40 volts AC from pin tp pin(do not short out against cases)... the regulator is tested on DC volts should be charging bout 13.7-14.7..hope this makes sense...a HD manual explains easier than I write..
Dave

riden2low

I own a 93 Fatboy and I am on my 3rd regulator. I did all of the checks as stated above and came out looking good. I did do one thing and was put on a plug retainer to hold the regulator plug into the stator. Every once in awhile I would see the plug work loose from all of the vibrations the EVO puts out. So the retainer helped out alot plus checking from time to time to make sure. don't need the "along the road break down" Put over 5000 miles in just the last few months from roads trips and still the retainer is holding the plug in.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

OK thanks guys

found a burnt regulator wire at the connector.

So new regulator on the way and some different  heavy duty connectors, soldered and heavy duty shrink tubing!!
Member since 2004