April 30, 2024, 05:17:09 AM

News:

My first Harley was a . . . . . . . . . .

Started by RootOfAllEVO, November 19, 2008, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

still ridin at 71 .......................

:up:

OldFLTRider

1956 Pan. 

Got it in 1970 as a nice complete running (poorly) bike and decided I needed a chopper.  Stripped it bare, raked, molded and painted the frame.  Overhauled the motor and clutch.  I had an old springer that we lengthened using old Ford car rear radius rods and twisted square steel rod.  Chrome shop left it in the tank room too long and pitted the heck out of it so I put long tubes in the stock forks and rode it that way.  With the long forks, the excessive rake and stock angle triple trees (didn't understand trail at that time) it was tough to ride. Add in the foot clutch and hand shift and it was real interesting. Sold it when first baby came. 

Wish I had it back. 
2012 FLTRX 103, HDSP heads, T-Man 577 cams, 115 HP/TQ

jacksrwild

1979 XLH.  That thing handled like crap and felt like it was going to fall over every time I got on it.  Loved the bike though ... lowered it, raked out the forks put some Metzler's on it, widened out the rear wheel and then it handled great.  Rode from Mexico to Canada and back again (didn't want to see the seat of a bike for a while after that one).
Wife said I could only have one bike at a time and finally sold it about a year and half ago.  Still wish I had it back.  Maybe some day I'll pick up another one (now that I know what it needed). :cry:

jayjaywideglide

1971 XLCH with that darn Tillotson Carb.  Always walked with a limp cause the shock hit the back of your leg when kickstarting.  Fond memories of that POS...  But then it always got me where I was headed, unlike my TC!

HDDOC

1950 pan givin to me by my uncle in 1964, chopped it and he was pissed.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

flht99b

A brand new 1979 FXS 80 cu in Lowrider purchased from Ramson's HD in Cos Cobb CT. Sure wish I still had it. Ed M.

chengdave2003

December 02, 2008, 05:52:04 AM #106 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:54:12 AM by chengdave2003
A new 1974 XLH bought from Harley of Atlanta for $2800.  Had to sell it three years later when I joined the military, couldn't afford the insurance on military pay.  It ate 2-3 voltage regulators (old mechanical type) a year.  Always wondered if the new electronic regulators would have lasted longer.... 

A year later reenlisted and got $12K reenlistment pay and went to Harley of Beaumont (Texas) and paid cash ($5300) for a brand new 1979 FXS Lowrider.  Kept it for over twenty years...  Loaded that bike on the Coast Guard cutters I was stationed on and rode that bike all over the world (well at least the US, Hawaii, Guam, Tinian, Saipan, Rota, etc).

Dave

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/

RootOfAllEVO

I have been truly amazed at the response this thread has received, and also moved that so many of you took the time to include photos of your original bikes. THANK YOU!
I guess it's clear we all remember our first Harley like no other possession or motorcycle we had. I am also struck that so many of you wish you still had that first one, as I do mine. "Newer" isn't always better, and that certainly seems to be the case here. Those of you that have a TC or Evo for a first ride still have a great machine, but there was something so raw and visceral about the earlier bikes that forged a bond with the owner. If you ever get a chance, throw a leg over a kick-only shovel or pan and take it for a ride on a sunny day. It's where motorcycles started, and IMHO, should still be. Simple, brutally so, and yet so satisfying to ride.

Thanks one and all for your responses, and please keep them coming!
But it looked so easy on TV to build one of these.

x52gnr

75 xlch sportster...damn what a rolling pile but I loved it..... :teeth:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Fugawee

A 1967 XLCH I bought for Myself when I turned 18 in 1975.

madmax

1962  250 cc  1 lunger  H.D.   16  years old .  what a ride !!!

Dogbone45ACP

1974 FX, new in December 73, still have it 96 in, duel pluged sorrta fatbob look , duel Supermax beltdrives, well over 100,000 miles on many rebuilds.

sundog1258

My first HD was a 1973 sportster I bought when I was 19 in 1978. It had the shifter on the right and was electric/push start only. First HD and first bike I ever had without a kicker. Took the tins to a body shop and had it re-painted black.  Rode it for 4 years and ended up trading it for a truck when I took a job with a 70 mile commute.
Phil

greenshovel0014

1983 fxsb.     coulda bought a dyna back then,but dad said I needed a shovel..........go figure. btw he has same year and model. .................strange coincidence.