April 30, 2024, 08:32:12 AM

News:

My first Harley was a . . . . . . . . . .

Started by RootOfAllEVO, November 19, 2008, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

1980 used Ironhead Sporty...I went to look & take it for a ride.  The guy wanted $3800 & I was going to offer $3500 if it ran & rode good.  I ran out of gas 1/2 mile from his house & had to push it back.  He was so bummed he offered it to me for $3000.  Yup...had my first Harley.

rigidthumper

63XLH (10 years old when I got it) was the first HD I owned, and the controls were backwards from todays models. Didn't have to worry about anyone stealing it, it only started when 'it' felt like going somewhere. Things would fall off occasionally, and the OL would carry a chunk of tire tread in her pocket, to wrap around the just fallen off, hot, piece of the bike ( usually a pipe). She'd drag it back to where we pulled over, and we'd sit and smoke till it cooled enough to beat the piece back on, bailing wire to the rescue, and down the road we'd go. First new HD was an '86 Heritage Softail, Signal Red and Cream, with a belt! And a 5 speed! Sumbitch was so smooth you could sleep goin down the highway.
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Dresser

1974 FX bought it in 1980 for $3K. It was with me for 17 yrs. Kick start, rode like a steel pipe, my OL hated it called it "THE BEAST". It got me cross country and back three different times without fail. I should have never sold it!

bighog

1977 XLCH bought new in Alamogordo NM.  When I was 20. dealer had about 10 bikes in the whole place.  Put on the drag pipes. Took off all the turn signals and gauges. 6 in over forks. 

hd06myway

Bought my first HD in 1979, a 1975 Iron Head Spory

FATMAN

'76 SuperGlide that I bought new.  Brown color.  Don't remember what the color was called.  Kept it tied to a telephone pole with a chain and some old mining tarp thrown over it, LOL.  Rear brake was bad to fade.  Thought I was going to drag my foot a couple of times trying to get stopped.
More to the picture than meets the eye.

Big Dan

1965 M50. I was 9 years old when the Old Man drug it home. He had no idea what he was starting.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

truck

Quote from: mark61 on November 20, 2008, 04:10:05 AM
  IN 1981(?)  bought a 1960 XLCH  with high compression and a fixed in place magneto. Hard to start in the moringins. Crap fell off or broke regularly! Hardly any lights at all unless I rode 75 mph. Hit by Chevy step van, Ford pick-up and dumped hitting a dog in a rain storm....Both the bike and I just too stubborn to die!  No I do NOT miss it!

mark61

About the lights, how true.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

motorplex88

Bighog, it's a small world. That hummer I found in a shed was just outside Alamo in the then small town of LaLuz. Hell it's proly part of Alamo now! Used to go there every Sat. night to race on a short track they had for awhile. Ahhh the good ol days.

alstar2

71 fx.I liked it but lots of problems with that amf machine
Al

Flat Dog

1980 Sporty ironhead that would ping like heck in the Florida summer heat. I loved that little bike.

IBARider

'69 sporty i got in '75 and am still riding it.  Just can't get rid of some of em...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

smokey3644

52 Pan FL ex police bike.  I bought it from a friend that was going in the Marines for 300 bucks.  It was painted a light brown with house paint and a brush but it ran good.  It was the summer I got out of high school (66) and I'd just wrecked my car and needed something to ride around on.  It had the big tractor seat and both me and my skinny butt girl friend could fit on the seat (I guess I was a little smaller then too, LOL).
One never knows, does one. (Fats Waller)

ST40

First and only ride is a 73 FLH bought in about 77.   I'm toying with the idea of buying or building another one now that my kids are both about to be gone from the nest.   
:smiled:      Marty
Marty

oldhippie765

fulldress79

1958 Duo Glide bought in April '73 for $1000.

randallwhitman

November 20, 2008, 03:45:59 PM #66 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:19:27 PM by randallwhitman
I had lots of combat pay saved up in '70, and bought a Triumph Bonny.  In '72, bought the 2nd year of the Super Glide.  Rode it from Miami to Maine and back.  What a POS.  Terrible brakes, square profile Goodyear tires, points that were good for maybe 500 miles, and a carburetor that absolutely sucked.  Did I mention that sometimes it took 50 kicks to start it?  However, what goes around, comes around, and in '85, I got bored with my Evo dresser and bought an old '76 police shovel that I still own.  This one has every upgrade known to man.  You'd go to sleep reading the list.  Also own a '07 FLHX Street Glide, but my 103" shovel's my baby. 
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

reggoh

1990 Fatboy. I was fortunate enough to win this bike at Laconia Bike Rally of that year. Presently riding a Electra Glide.

Skullfork

'99 Sinister Blue Fatboy and I rode the dog piss out of it!

nibroc

'72 XLCH bought new in Louisville,ky. 1st yr. for 1000cc. Traded in a '71 BSA 650 that quit one day because of a short in the head lite---yeah, LUCAS...lol

Scooter1-2putt

My first was a 67 FL that I bought in Feb. 77'. It was a old chp bike chopped with 9" longer fork tubes, 4speed kicker trans, mousetrap clutch and swing arm frame. First thing I did was change to 6" fork tubes so I could put booth feet on the ground at same time. :smile:
One of the best Harley's I've owned it was ripped off in Simi Valley in the 80's! :cry:
Damm I still miss that bike!!!
Scooter
Z

Reddog74usa

My first Harley was a 1954 Panhead 40 over wide glide front end with a 2 1/2" rake and of course molded frame. I have a pic of it at the spot I bought it in 1975, I'll have to see if I can find it and post it. The front was so long my Bros would say they could tell I was comin cause they would see the front wheel and 10 mins. later the rest of the bike would show up LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Clintster

73 XLCH, had to have your secret decoder ring to start it cold.  Ran like a SOB, but I was way too big for it, 6'3". Traded it after 3 weeks. The year was 77 I was home on leave from the Navy.  Traded it for a rice bike I rode to Seattle from Ohio, my Ole Man was pissed at first, he got over it.  It was around 2400 miles, too long a trip for that bike and me.  I remember when I was hanging out in Bremerton, some girl going if you had a Harley I'd take you for the ride of your life...
Drive fast, take chances

snoman

'67 XLCH , bought new in '67 . Knee still hurts !
  sno

boooby1744

'82 fxr.................       candy apple red.... . minor engine mods....it never leaked!