April 30, 2024, 11:27:21 AM

News:

My first Harley was a . . . . . . . . . .

Started by RootOfAllEVO, November 19, 2008, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

partner1010

1965 sporty, it taught me to turn off my petcock.

shoveled71

Bought a 67 XLCH in 71, a year later sold it and bought a 52 pan for 750.00, it was all original for 750.00, like a dumazz I chopped it.  Spike
100%  pure obnoxious harley ridin white trash

rking1550

I'm not as old as some of you guys. my first one was a 1999
softail standard. had it for 2 years then bought the king in 01 :up:
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

reg_beagle

. . . a '72 Super Glide, bought from a friend in '81. Rode it to California and back (from Toronto) during the summer, then it got ripped off in Sept. of that year. I was lucky enough to find a stock '72 Super Glide a couple of years ago, and the dirty thieves will have to shoot me in the head at least three times to get this one . . .
Al

hdjax2

November 19, 2008, 02:36:12 PM #29 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:38:37 PM by hdjax2
76 Sportster Bicentennial model. Bought it from my cousin when I was a senior in high school. Man was that bike fun to powerslide on the dirt roads. I hadn't quite finished paying him for it when I missed a gear one day getting on it and the front rod came out to say hello. I gave it back to him and he gave me half the money back that I had already paid him. He fixed it and still has it.   Here's one just like it

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

RainDodger

'83 Sporty XLX, 61 c.i. all black, mean looking, and it would shake the crap out of you. It was fun.

Panzer

Hey........RKING is calling us old.
These young "kids' today........ok sonny....ok.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

paned

1964 Duo Glide.  I bought it when I was 17 in 1967.  Ed.

e-glide90

guido4198

'78 Lowrider......Keptr it 'til '85 when I traded it in for The Moonraker....Still have her. Wish I had kept the Shovel too.

rking1550

PANZER....not really calling you guys old.... (OK maybe I am  :smilep:)
just jealous I wasn't able to ride some of the classics when they were new or at least close to new
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

HroadhogD1

In 1980 I bought a 1977 XLCH (Xtra Large Charlie Horse) and found that was right, of course I found out the hard way-many times.  Felt like this horse :horse:     I traded it to a guy for a 1976 FLH the next year-even trade!  

76shuvlinoff

Re: My first Harley is my only Harley and it was a  . . . . . . . . . .

pos 76 flh and it's still a pos, albeit slightly modified, pos 76 flh    :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

96flhpi

Kinda like Ape-do, my first Harley was a 1996 Kawi Vulcan 800, although first scoot was an '82 Yama 400 Special.  From across the street couldn't tell that Vulcan from a Softail Custom.  Ole timer I knew told me "well at least the seed is planted" and he was right.  Graduated to an EVO cop RK four years later, moving backwards but in the right direction with an '82 Shovel FLH now.
Vin

chris haynes

NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

seattledyna

77 Super Glide 
first order of business was to make it sound better, lol 

Midnight Toker

My first Harley didn’t happen until about 20 years into my riding. I grow up around Harley’s and biker thugs when I was young; which is the reason (I think) I did the motocross and road rocket thing for several years. I bought my first Harley in 1990, a 1200 Sportster, a real fun bike. Three Harley’s later, here I am, and some people even consider me a thug… go figure.
Something witty placed here.

neale

Sportster, every time I look at the photos I tell myself you are an idiot. 1200 conversion, twin disc front, upgraded suspension at both ends.....it ran like a scalded cat and was as wide as a Norton Commando, yep........ I sure stuffed up selling that one. :cry:

wayzalot

1976 Sporty,  10" over front end, 6 bend pull backs, king queen seat, chrome dagger for a sissy bar.  King of the hill with this bike.  Took it to yellowstone twice, teatons, estes state park and many more places.  Easy to work on and run great.  I miss Betsy.  :cry:
"My life is based on a true story"

JamLazyAss

BACK AROUND 1970, BUILT THIS FLATHEAD FROM LOTS OF PARTS...

HAD REVERSE TOO. IT WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR SURE. NO FRONT BRAKE EITHER...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Midnight Toker

That looks like a real cool ride, JLA.  Chopper-it..
Something witty placed here.

Blazing Saddles

Bought my first Harley in October of 1970. I had been riding a 1967 Triumph Bonneville for a couple of years.
It was a former police bike from Winnipeg and had a suicide clutch/hand shift setup. Since choppers were all the rage I stripped it down that winter and it emerged in the spring as a rigid frame with a 1/2" rake and 12" over forks. I had the engine rebulit adding higher compression pistons, a better cam and valve springs. It was finished off with a king sportster tank, rear fender and upswept tall pipes from AEE Choppers in California. Ran a 19" front wheel and of course the standard 16" rear. Made up a custom sissy bar and king/queen seat setup and had custom spearhead pegs made from hex stock. Talk about clean looking bars - with the suicide clutch setup, no clutch lever, didn't run a front brake and had absolutely no switches on the California Pullback bars.

Wish I still had it!!!

Blazin'

BART

I bought a 1950 Harley EL (61 cid) around 1960 when I was in High School.  I had a 1952 Cushman Eagle before that.  I rode the EL all of the time and sold it for $300.00 in 1963; the same as I paid for it.  I wish I still had it!!

Snussy

A 03 Softail Standard !!  Wish I still had that bike.  Traded it for an 07 Road King.

mark61

November 20, 2008, 04:10:05 AM #49 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:35:24 AM by trück
  IN 1981(?)  bought a 1960 XLCH  with high compression and a fixed in place magneto. Hard to start in the moringins. Crap fell off or broke regularly! Hardly any lights at all unless I rode 75 mph. Hit by Chevy step van, Ford pick-up and dumped hitting a dog in a rain storm....Both the bike and I just too stubborn to die!  No I do NOT miss it!

mark61