April 30, 2024, 10:57:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My first Harley was a . . . . . . . . . .

Started by RootOfAllEVO, November 19, 2008, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RootOfAllEVO

1980 Shovelhead Wide Glide. Nicknamed "Puddles", for obvious reasons. Kick start only, with a skinny front end. This, at a time when everybody rode fat EVO's, in the mid 90's. Actually had people ask me if it was a "real" Harley, because it didn't say it anywhere on the bike. Finally got tired of swimming against the current and bought an Evo Heritage. Great bike, truly. But it never felt like the shovel. I swear you could feel it in your bones everytime the pistons fired.

And your first Harley?
But it looked so easy on TV to build one of these.

4DWUDS

A 6 year old Panhead off the dealers floor in 1966, Red Barn H-D, Laurel, MD.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

dablaze

1974 Shovel...after all these years and buying and selling a bunch of others, she is still in the family too and always will be. Just posted her back in the show yer shovel thread.

16 year old son just turned down a cage from his mother...says if he is gonna pay to insure something, its gonna be a Harley.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

02roadcling

1964 XLCH chopper.
:up:
I was 17 years old.

Finally paid off my '02 RK this morning.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

gryphon

In 1969 I traded for an old 45 flat head. An old delivery bike you could still see the name of the pharmacy on the right side thru the white paint. Smoked like hell and didn't run much better but hey, I was 17 years old and it was a Harley. Shortly after I traded that and some cash for a 1956 (1957?) K model flathead. Now, how many of you owned either one of those. Didn't get my first big harley till about '72 or '73. It was a 1952 Panhead

Coff 06

First one,custom 71 AMF sporster.Loved that bike,would have been alot of fun to ride,if I didn't have to stop for gas every 50 miles :dgust:   Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

electra66

Bought a stripped down '53 rigid pan when I was 18.

Panzer

November 19, 2008, 08:53:20 AM #7 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:04:28 AM by Panzer
Mine was a 1941 springer, 45 cubic inch flat head.
Bought it used of course when I was 15.
Took a lot of work to get her to run and I taught myself how to ride it, with a little help from my dad.
It was foot clutch and tank shift, my first love.
Later, traded it in for my second love, a "new" 1962 FLH, with spots,white fiberglass saddle bags, shield and whitewalls............color.......candy apple red.
She was a real looker.
Still remember the price..........$1,750.00 NEW.   :wink:  :up:
Pricing sure has changed.  LOL   I loved that bike.  :cry:
Those days of memories somehow return when I put the leathers and boots on and saddle up...........it's like going back home one more time.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

V24me

1971 FLH Electra Glide, nicknamed 'Fart Bike'  I took a bone stock bike and stripped off anything I could (bags, signals, mirrors, etc) and painted it a sweet gloss black with small blue mica flake.  I love my TC, but I still can't get that connection I had with the '71
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

CraigArizona85248

1949 Panhead... not the same '49 I own today.  Bought it in 1980 for $1800.  Sold it a couple years later for $2200 and thought I had made a killing.  Should have kept it.  LOL

-Craig

truck

November 19, 2008, 09:13:12 AM #10 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:14:49 AM by trück
First Harley was a 1955 XLH, I was 17 or so and it was around 1964 or 1965.
I just blew up the motor on my Matchless Apache a week or two before and my buddy was selling this bike because he was getting married, $500
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Lawless

Bought my 82 sporty in November 88. I was 19 at the time. Still have the bike today, sits right next to my 2000 sporty....yeah I got a thing for sportsters. That 82 still runs great today with the help of a late model CV.
Lawless

rkrcpa

A 1973 FLH that I bought around 1980. I was the only one in the group with front and rear disc brakes and would get ribbed constantly for having such "New" technology (don't think we called it technology back then) on a bike. It's the only style I've ridden since. Replaced it with a 1980 FLH sometime ago, never ridden anything newer to this day.

Scramjet

1975 XLCH, chome engine covers, chrome hand controls, chrome swingarm, pearl white, highway pegs, sissy bar, Sifton cams, Manley valves, bronze guides, Phase III belt drive, Weisco H/C pistons, Mikuni carb, Branch intake manifold, braided stainless lines all over,  head porting and valve grind by me.  I don't recall exactly but I think the best 1/4 mile was about 12.9 at 102.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

motorplex88

l949 Model 125 Hummer bought in 1968. Found it in a shed and gave $10 bucks. Got it runnin' and rode it around the neighborhood till we beat it to death. Later traded it for an 8track tape player. Ha go figure.

82fxrstroker

74 Sporty.  Talk about a love hate relationship.  I miss my shovel's.

Kansas

I bought a 1980 Sportster in October of 1979.  I hated it and in April I sold it and bought a 1980 Super Glide.

02roadcling

Quote from: gryphon on November 19, 2008, 08:45:03 AM
In 1969 I traded for an old 45 flat head. An old delivery bike you could still see the name of the pharmacy on the right side thru the white paint. Smoked like hell and didn't run much better but hey, I was 17 years old and it was a Harley. Shortly after I traded that and some cash for a 1956 (1957?) K model flathead. Now, how many of you owned either one of those. Didn't get my first big harley till about '72 or '73. It was a 1952 Panhead

gryphon,- to answer your question when I was 22 I had a '45 army servicar  :smile:
I'm 53.95 now

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

ModelABob

A 1966 Electraglide dressed out with only 23,000 miles! :smilep:  What a scooter!  Man-o-man, did I put the miles on that bike.  I stripped it, bobbed it and made a show bike out of it that was ridden all the time.  Never won any trophy's
because of trailer queens, but got two really good compliments on her.  One, at Daytona Bike week from a long time Harley dealership owner and my favorite:  I was waiting for the light to change and an old lady (at least 70's) pulled up next to me.  She glanced over, smiled and gave me the old fashioned "Okay" sign.  An this was when scooter tramps
were considered the lowest of the low. :dgust:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

FLH

Back in '75 or '76. I traded a CB radio (only a 23 channel) for a '70 Baja 100. One of those Italian 2 stroke dirt motorsickle with Harley badges on it. Technically a Harley, but not really. It was a real toilet, which soon blew up. Back in those days,  we snickered at Harleys. We looked at em as stone age beasts for geezers, but Sportsters were cool.
The thing I remember about that Baja 100, was it had the biggest rear sprocket I ever seen on a motorcycle LOL .I gave it to a neighborhood kid who somehow wedged a Yamaha 125 enduro motor in it. Those were fun days.....

dakota224

November 19, 2008, 11:41:33 AM #20 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:51:58 PM by dakota224
1977 XL 1000 Sportster.   :smiled: 

Biscuit

2000 Buell.  I sold it about a 1 1/2 later and it's been resold to 2 other people that I know. 
I just can't get rid of it, lol.
"I do all my own stunts".

Ape_do

wood02

byoodah

76 XLCH. Bought it in 79 at the ripe age of 19. Still brings a grin to my face thinking about it. First thing I learned was that when you pull off the cam cover, a lot of little washers go all over the floor. That gave me two of  the rules I live by - buy a service manual for anything you own, and never take good functioning parts off a bike just to chrome 'em.
byoodah
Here's to the ones serving to keep me free, and to them no longer here with me.