April 27, 2024, 04:39:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ultima 127?

Started by Reddog74usa, November 23, 2008, 08:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I have a friend that has a 127 new in crate that I can get a killer deal on but when I check the Ultima site the 120 and 127 engines have pressed cranks. Can anybody tell me if there running one of these and if there having any issues like the Twinkies twisting crank shafts? Will a 127 fit in a FXR frame? John Sachs has told me his favorite is the 113 in the Ultima line and I'm thinking it may have to do with the fact that the 113's are a 5 piece bolt together like the oem Evo cranks. Just lookin for some feedback on these engines.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

fuzznut5197

S&S EVO SSW+ engines (111, 117, 124) also have pressed in cranks. If you're getting a great deal, I would buy it and not look back.

CL

You would have a hard time hurting the Ultima crank assembly if you wanted to...I,ve had 2 127"s with no issues at all...Time it and jet it right and hold on...It is taller so you will have to measure to see if you have room...If its a deal....buy it!

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CL

!/8" taller...and it will grow a little...They have a good website with all the info..

blownharley

A friend of mine have a Ultima 127" in his 1988 FXR. There where no trouble getting this engine into the frame except for the exhaust system, which had to be "adjusted" a little bit. This due to the higher placement of the exhaust ports compared to the standard engine.

jsachs1

Reddog,
That 127" should fit in a FXR frame.
John

stroker800

Kendall Johnson has done a lot of testing on the Ultima motors,,,,he does do a little headwork to them and they easily puts over a hp per inch...his one test motor was taken down after 5200 hard miles and he had stated the only thing he had found was some deflection in the on the fly wheels,,,but still with in specs....The testing is documented in Hot Bike mag....I was the first guy in our shop to Ultima cases,,no problems to report...
dave

Flat Dog

Another ditto with the 'buy it!' crowd. Heck-I was looking at one for my 95 Dyna, but figured that much power at my age would cause bodyparts to get left behind...

Reddog74usa

John That was a goodin Bro LAMO
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

I try, Reddog...I try. ;)

Please let me know how that motor works out for you-I am wanting a 113 or a 127 for the dyna, but even the mildly built stocker taxes the crappy stock brakes.

Reddog74usa

Will do John. I was actually looking for a 113 myself but this deal came along on the 127 so I went with it I'm hoping I could find someone with a 113 that would want to swap for the 127 but the 127 is new and in black and chrome and most the Ultima engines I see are silver n chrome so I guess I'll just have to give the 127 a try hoping I don't lose any body parts in the process LOL!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

Velcro seat and butt, maybe? ;)

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put huge amounts of miles on one of these motors? I see them more as bar hopper power mills, but was just wondering if there are any 50k plus mile Ultima motors out there.

Reddog74usa

Good question Bro. Posted it as new topic.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Pzokes

With the Ultima 127" being sold on Ebay by discounters for $3800.00 including shipping, they are hard to pass up.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Reddog74usa

Blown Harley what size carb is you friend runin on that FXR with the 127?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CL

I run a Super G modified by XXX on my 127...You'll need at least a Super G or HSR45

Reddog74usa

I want to run a 48 Mik on this Ultima 127 in a FXR and would like to know if anybody else is running one and if there were any fitment issues as the 48 is about 6/32 taller than a 42 or 45.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

blownharley

Reddog, my frind has a Mikuni 45 on his engine. A little bit too small carb, but he like's the torque it makes :smile:

Reddog74usa

Thanks for gettin back to me BH
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CL

Reddog...Here is a 127 in an FXR custom frame...thought you may want to ask the owner/builder some questions...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___Kenny-Boyce-single-down-tube-FXR-by-metal-shop-customs_W0QQitemZ230311000352QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item230311000352&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Reddog74usa

Thanks but that frame is way different then what I'm dealin with. thanks again, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

BTW-the Ultima manual says it fits.

Reddog74usa

I picked up a complete 48 mik kit so I'm jumpin in and we'll see if it fits.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

fergy1940

reddog
I don't know if this relates to you but I have one in a 84 flt. The Ultima air cleaner would not fit.
Fergy
I'm bored.