April 27, 2024, 12:51:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

91 Evo build spyke single fire won't start

Started by 11.7to1, November 30, 2009, 08:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11.7to1

November 30, 2009, 08:30:00 PM Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:19:18 PM by 11.7to1
Trying to get a friends 91Evo running. Getting popping out the carb. Carb could lean but I think it's the dual fire Spyke ignition not set up properly. Anyone have first experience and advice for this thing.

mc9395

Which version spyke is this. It is actualy made by power-arc and if you go to there web site you willl be able to get a picture to help I.D. it and also tech help,www.powerarc.com

11.7to1

I'll be working on it tonight. Not sure if it's the super comp or the AIS.

Thanks for the reply.

11.7to1

This is what I found out tonite. Vertical line in center of crank inspection hole. Piston at TDC. Removed rocker cover, both valves closed, thought I was good. Eventually get a big blow out the carb, suspecting once the cylinder is full of gas. Will not run.

I did not pull of the cam cover to verify correct orientation, maybe off a tooth. However, in the Spyke instruction sheet, it states that when front cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke, that the notch on the end of the cam that locates the rotor should be in the 7 o'clock position. When I looked to confirm this, the notch was at about 1 o'clock.

My question is, where should this notch be when at TDC of comp. stroke?

JBarrettB

Are you sure your not on overlap? Sound like you are 180 degrees out to me. Are the plug wires reversed?

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

11.7to1

I thought that too and reversed wires, no improvement. Going back over there Friday, I think I'm just going to start from square one so I know where I'm at. I found a pic from a thread back in september and it shows the notch at 7 o'clock. Something ain't right because when I set the notch at 7o'clock, the TDC mark on the crank was no where near the hole. WTF??

mc9395

Hey sounds like 180 out. 7 oclock is the right place. Pop your front intake pushrod cover and when the intake closes  front tdc will be coming up. Try that and good luck

Evo160K

Fwiw, I had a single fire, spyke power arc on a 1990 go bad after a short time.  Talked to them and they said they had a problem with some, and sent a new one.  It ran fine for a year or so then I went to a SE programmable.