April 27, 2024, 12:29:03 PM

News:

Doherty Filter

Started by Sonny S., November 27, 2008, 06:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny S.

November 27, 2008, 06:49:23 AM Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:58:59 AM by Sonny S.
Anyone know the thickness of the Air filter ?  The kit is part #1240TK  for 01-07 EFI

Thanks
Sonny

taz95dog

morning,my is 2 1/2" tall and just shy off 1/2" thick. have a great thanksgiving...bill...
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Sonny S.

Bill, is that JUST the filter or does that include the end plate?  I should have asked

Sonny

taz95dog

that's just the filter...
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Faast Ed

Sonny,
Are you planning on doing the Zippers conversion to the Doherty backing plate?
≡Faast Ed>

Sonny S.

Bill, Thanks !!

Ed, I installed a Doherty kit on a friends 08 Dyna, and had to space the filter with sheet rubber. The standoff's were too long. Doherty sent new one's saying that had a few problems,and well, still wrong. The filter measures 2 1/4 "  WTF ?
I told my buddy he should do the Zippers filter and be done with it. Either way, Doherty has gotta make the stock set up right.

Sonny

Faast Ed

QuoteI told my buddy he should do the Zippers filter and be done with it.

Vic, myself, and a few others had done the Zippers with success (Doherty plate), but there was a slight difference with the stand-offs with that option, too.
Had to go slightly longer (about the thinckness of a washer).
≡Faast Ed>

Sonny S.

Yeah I remember Vic made new standoff's.
I need to get Doherty to send the 2 1/2" filter that we should have gotten anyway.

Faast Ed

Absolutely!

I think you will find them quick to take care of you.
Sometimes it's hard to get them on the phone, but when you do they take care of you.
≡Faast Ed>

Dennis The Menace

Anyone order the breather filter & hose kit for the power vents?  How long did it take to get one?  Been waiting a few weeks now....but my cc was charged.

Menace

Crabtree

Would like to inject here, ordered my Doherty Filter and back plate in April.
By the end of August I had received most of the kit, but not all. By the end
of October I had received all but  the cover (8"). Still waiting for that but
really don't expect it at all. _______ :crook: Now thats service!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cody

I had the same experience as Crabtree.  Very nice product, poor customer service.

AllanW

I ordered some bag latches in June and recieved them last week :crook:

Faast Ed

It's been a year since I have dealt with them (maybe longer).  I am very dissapointed in what I am reading about them.

They really used to be better than that. :emsad:
≡Faast Ed>

Jeffd

They got a lot of great publicity early on and suffered some major growing pains, it sounds like they are still suffering from getting too big too fast.  I know last year I had some problems getting mine when I ordered it directly thru them but they did eventually come thru.  I remember calling them for hours on end trying to get thru with no luck.

Arrowsmit

I had great service from Doherty on the couple of occasions that I've dealt w/em & IMHO they do have a 'better mousetrap', but the lack of service some of you have experienced is outrageous. Sooner or later stuff like that'll bite em in da azz.

VicW.

Sonny S.

December 01, 2008, 03:28:02 PM #16 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:21:01 PM by Sonny S.
Quote from: Arrowsmit on November 27, 2008, 07:38:57 PM
I had great service from Doherty on the couple of occasions that I've dealt w/em & IMHO they do have a 'better mousetrap', but the lack of service some of you have experienced is outrageous. Sooner or later stuff like that'll bite em in da azz.

VicW.

Well, Doherty is attempting to make this right .... time will tell

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Crabtree on November 27, 2008, 12:06:57 PM
Would like to inject here, ordered my Doherty Filter and back plate in April.
By the end of August I had received most of the kit, but not all. By the end
of October I had received all but  the cover (8"). Still waiting for that but
really don't expect it at all. _______ :crook: Now thats service!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy them by the bag full from Drag.
BTW, we like to use the S&S 3.5" element with the Dorherty set-ups.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Dennis The Menace

Just wanted to update my earlier comments on ordering from Doherty.  Got my breather filter yesterday, 3 weeks after ordering.  My CC was charged on day of order.  Most companies charge on day of shipment.

I would have ordered the part from another compnay, but couldnt find it.  I would buy from Doherty again, but I would also be prepared for a wait.  If I needed soemthing in a hurry, I would call them first to see if they can ship.

I like their products, and would defintely buy again, regardless of the order process.  Next I will know to call first if I need it right away.

meance

Sonny S.

December 09, 2008, 06:35:46 PM #19 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:43:12 PM by Sonny S.
Those running the Zippers filter, is it the tapered one or straight with the Doherty end cover ?
as you can see this isn't over yet  :crook:

Arrowsmit

Mine's tapered, not sure if Zippers makes a strait one? The thing is tho ya gotta transfer & drill new mounting holes in it as the Doherty stanchions are spaced different than SE etc.

VicW.

Sonny S.

Thanks Vic   :up:
I've been trying to do all this over the phone and without the bike or Doherty assembly....what fun  :crook:

jam65

Doherty was one of three intakes that I was considering. Looks like I will narrow my choices down to two.

sandrooney

I got one from J&P, had it in three days and believe it or not it was the same price. I usually don't buy from J&P to high priced, but couldn't get in touch with Dorety.
Just my expierence,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Sonny S.

FYI :

Zippers offers their standard high flow filter # 172-114 ....
BUT with a mounting surface that has NO holes in it other than a threaded hole for the cover.
This way you can drill your own bolt pattern and not have holes to plug.
Part # 172-110

I'm not going to say Doherty wouldn't make things right with their own set up because I was not the one dealing with them.
Honestly, I know that I could have gotten things done differently.

I do know that the box of parts ( assembly ) that they sent my buddy were incompatible from the start, and the excuses given were unacceptable. 
Poor quality control IMHO

Now I see that guys are having prblems with the Power vents leaking at the seems.
I won't tell my buddy that  :crook: