May 09, 2024, 12:00:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cost to paint inner fairing?

Started by Jeffd, January 15, 2010, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffd

For those of you who have painted their inner fairing what did your local shops charge?  I would like to have Seattlednya do it but shipping will be high on a something that large.  If I have an idea what local shops are getting it will help in my decision.  I do not want to try it myself as I want it to look good lol.  I have a lux blue bike and was thinking what color to paint the inner fairing if I went with something diff than the rest of the bike any ideas what would go good.  I have about as much fashion/stle sense as a tibetan monk.

stro1965

Local painter charged me $100.00 for the inner and the switch cap.

IndyHarley

black inner fairing on a lux blue bike would look nice.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

harleyjt

Quote from: IndyHarley on January 15, 2010, 10:56:34 AM
black inner fairing on a lux blue bike would look nice.

+1 on black or possibly silver.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

98roadking

The first color that jumped in my head was silver, followed quikly by gunmetel grey.

LT

I paid $200 for inner fairing, switch cap and HogPod.
'10 Streetglide 103" w/ 255's, Heavy Breather & D&D Fatcat
SE Compensator, TTS

Jeffd

all good choices so far.  I like the dark gray metalics I have seen, black and silver good too.  Actually I was first thinking of silver but would like some more ideas.

Snuff™

This is not to bash anyone here on this site!  I found a guy at work that just likes to paint but takes his time.  Painted (base coat/clear coat black) my shovelhead fairing for $30.  I was very happy with it and asked him to paint my panhead oil tank and primary, $100.  Got the parts back and asked him how much for my '03 inner fairing? He said, "Just consider that in the $100."  He's got my sheetmetal for my panhead. He's charging me $200 + paint.  I have seen one top painter here on the site that I'd like to have paint another bike, but I'm just one cheep SOB that can't let loose of the $'s. (Ask Evo1, he's used my pair of leather gloves w/ the finger tip worn out. :hyst:)

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

seattledyna

snuff, lol nothin' wrong with being "thrifty":wink:  I really do like to give the HTT guys a good deal, but with the cost of paint and shipping being things I cant control the actual "painting" is the cheapest part of the deal :smileo:, if I have a color in stock a job can be quite affordable, if I have to buy a pint of paint I usually charge for the amount used and the rest gets used down the road on another job.

BTW Jeff, dark gray met would look great with the blue :up:

Evo1

Quote from: Snuff on January 15, 2010, 06:25:10 PM
This is not to bash anyone here on this site!  I found a guy at work that just likes to paint but takes his time.  Painted (base coat/clear coat black) my shovelhead fairing for $30.  I was very happy with it and asked him to paint my panhead oil tank and primary, $100.  Got the parts back and asked him how much for my '03 inner fairing? He said, "Just consider that in the $100."  He's got my sheetmetal for my panhead. He's charging me $200 + paint.  I have seen one top painter here on the site that I'd like to have paint another bike, but I'm just one cheep SOB that can't let loose of the $'s. (Ask Evo1, he's used my pair of leather gloves w/ the finger tip worn out. :hyst:)

-Snuff :beer:
I wish it was just the finger tip. I had to wear the gloves backwards. :hyst:

Jeffd

Quote from: seattledyna on January 15, 2010, 06:40:49 PM
snuff, lol nothin' wrong with being "thrifty":wink:  I really do like to give the HTT guys a good deal, but with the cost of paint and shipping being things I cant control the actual "painting" is the cheapest part of the deal :smileo:, if I have a color in stock a job can be quite affordable, if I have to buy a pint of paint I usually charge for the amount used and the rest gets used down the road on another job.

ya have any extra laying around  :embarrassed:

Big Dan

Inner fairings were invented by the devil.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

dunbarton

Quote from: seattledyna on January 15, 2010, 06:40:49 PM

Seems the inner fairings take a beating cosmetically over time... minor scratches, but mostly fading like all the plastics. Can small imperfections like drilled holes (ie 1/16" dia) be filled/repaired satisfactorily and economically, and if so, what product/material would you use? Of course it would be painted afterwards.
I'm weighing off the option of buying a new inner fairing vs a good/repair and paint. Like Jeffd, shipping charges really add to the replacement option.. in my case about 3x the cost ($120) bantered around here

Tex_Bagger

Had mine painted through the local dealer for $400 and change.  Pricey but I wanted that shiny black!   They did a perfect job, no flaws anywhere.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

dunbarton

Quote from: Tex_Bagger on January 16, 2010, 03:33:31 AM
Had mine painted through the local dealer for $400 and change.  Pricey but I wanted that shiny black!   They did a perfect job, no flaws anywhere.
I presume at that price it wasn't just paint you paid for?
To pull the inner fairing , and reinstall it latter might take 2 hrs plus, and a lot more if you've never done it before... LOL

seattledyna

wow, 400 bucks is steep to paint an inner fairing for sure!

Jeff, yes I do have some dark gray met laying around :wink:

truck

I need to touch up my inner, sun fade on one corner.
What is the rattle can paint that will do that? I remember it was mentioned here before but I can't find it.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

seattledyna

for the black inner fairing there is a spray can paint called "SEM Trim black" you can get it at an auto paint supply store, it has been around a long time and is perfect for low gloss black painted parts, I have even painted classic car tires, floor mats, carpet and interior/exterior trim with it, which is its original pupose

http://www.perfectfit.com/15342/154520/Vinyl--Leather-Paint/SEM-Trim-Black.html

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

ULTRADOG

i pay 150 the shop uses bulldogsealer wich they say is expensive but my 01 still looks good
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

dunbarton

Quote from: ULTRADOG on January 18, 2010, 09:56:15 AM
...... bulldogsealer
What is this? Is it a flat sheen paint for plastics?

ULTRADOG

its a sealer that adheres to plastic so the paint will stay on longer
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

dunbarton

Quote from: ULTRADOG on January 18, 2010, 01:27:47 PM
its a sealer that adheres to plastic so the paint will stay on longer
perhaps like a primer or primer and paint all in one?
I have a few small damages to be repaired in the inner fairing ie drilled holes. Any recommendations to fill the holes? epoxy maybe?

Ken R

When I bought a new inner fairing from Chicago HD, I'm thinking that the shipping was cheap.  Something less than $20 if I remember correctly.  It's very light and the H. W. D. dimensions were less than the max. 

dunbarton

Quote from: Ken R on January 18, 2010, 02:24:10 PM
When I bought a new inner fairing from Chicago HD, I'm thinking that the shipping was cheap.  Something less than $20 if I remember correctly.  It's very light and the H. W. D. dimensions were less than the max.
The new oem fairing and switch cap (FLHTC) quoted at @ $210 less 20% discount making it a pretty enticing proposition for me. Since I'm thinking of painting the bike now anyway, with a few minor repairs I may be better to do the repair. Shipping in the US is much cheaper than in or to Canada once those monkeys at the border get involved. 

seattledyna

dunbarton, go to your local auto paint supply and ask for a plastic material repair kit, they should have a one use application set up, I use a large gun that mixes it as it dispenses, economical for me, but way to expensive for a one time repair in your garage.

dunbarton

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look about that. When it hardens, I'm hoping it's sand-able.

Scramjet

Mine was $100 from a local auto painter.  Most auto painters have experience with plastics these days.  I did mine in a light blue silver to offset the Cobalt Blue bike and aluminum flames.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

HD99FXR3

I paid $200 to have my '07 RG fairing and switch caps painted. Supposedly the Mirage Orange Pearl is quite expensive.

Jeffd

Seattledyna, I got the inner fairing today and want to get it headed your way.  I sent you a pm.

spankustang

Cost me $400 for the inner fairing, switch cap, and mirrors.  I just dropped the bike off.  They did all the labor.
Looks a lot better.
My bike is black, so I had the fairing painted to match.

specialx1

Big Thx to ya SeattleDyna, used the SEM Landau paint and repainted my inner fairing and turned out great!! not ready to run ya outta business but happy with the ease of doing it and how it turned out  :beer:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

seattledyna

advice is free :wink: take advantage of it :teeth:

glad that worked out for ya, you will find lots of uses for that stuff.

seattledyna

here is the paint specialx used on his inner fairing, if you are looking for the OEM low gloss black look, this works very good, great for touch ups on vinyl, tires, carpet, etc.

Jeffd

Seattledyna you should be getting a package tomorrow or so. :up:

seattledyna

showed up today Jeff and its in paint rotation now :wink:

Jeffd

:up: I am glad you are doing it as I know it will look great.

Jeffd

The "Paint Master" has done it again.  Seattledyna can lay the paint down.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

seattledyna

Coyote

It's even more impressive in person.  :up:

Tex_Bagger

Quote from: dunbarton on January 16, 2010, 03:48:24 AM
Quote from: Tex_Bagger on January 16, 2010, 03:33:31 AM
I presume at that price it wasn't just paint you paid for?
To pull the inner fairing , and reinstall it latter might take 2 hrs plus, and a lot more if you've never done it before... LOL

Sorry I should have mentioned they did ALL the work including R&R the fairing.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock