May 09, 2024, 05:05:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cost to paint inner fairing?

Started by Jeffd, January 15, 2010, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffd

For those of you who have painted their inner fairing what did your local shops charge?  I would like to have Seattlednya do it but shipping will be high on a something that large.  If I have an idea what local shops are getting it will help in my decision.  I do not want to try it myself as I want it to look good lol.  I have a lux blue bike and was thinking what color to paint the inner fairing if I went with something diff than the rest of the bike any ideas what would go good.  I have about as much fashion/stle sense as a tibetan monk.

stro1965

Local painter charged me $100.00 for the inner and the switch cap.

IndyHarley

black inner fairing on a lux blue bike would look nice.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

harleyjt

Quote from: IndyHarley on January 15, 2010, 10:56:34 AM
black inner fairing on a lux blue bike would look nice.

+1 on black or possibly silver.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

98roadking

The first color that jumped in my head was silver, followed quikly by gunmetel grey.

LT

I paid $200 for inner fairing, switch cap and HogPod.
'10 Streetglide 103" w/ 255's, Heavy Breather & D&D Fatcat
SE Compensator, TTS

Jeffd

all good choices so far.  I like the dark gray metalics I have seen, black and silver good too.  Actually I was first thinking of silver but would like some more ideas.

Snuff™

This is not to bash anyone here on this site!  I found a guy at work that just likes to paint but takes his time.  Painted (base coat/clear coat black) my shovelhead fairing for $30.  I was very happy with it and asked him to paint my panhead oil tank and primary, $100.  Got the parts back and asked him how much for my '03 inner fairing? He said, "Just consider that in the $100."  He's got my sheetmetal for my panhead. He's charging me $200 + paint.  I have seen one top painter here on the site that I'd like to have paint another bike, but I'm just one cheep SOB that can't let loose of the $'s. (Ask Evo1, he's used my pair of leather gloves w/ the finger tip worn out. :hyst:)

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

seattledyna

snuff, lol nothin' wrong with being "thrifty":wink:  I really do like to give the HTT guys a good deal, but with the cost of paint and shipping being things I cant control the actual "painting" is the cheapest part of the deal :smileo:, if I have a color in stock a job can be quite affordable, if I have to buy a pint of paint I usually charge for the amount used and the rest gets used down the road on another job.

BTW Jeff, dark gray met would look great with the blue :up:

Evo1

Quote from: Snuff on January 15, 2010, 06:25:10 PM
This is not to bash anyone here on this site!  I found a guy at work that just likes to paint but takes his time.  Painted (base coat/clear coat black) my shovelhead fairing for $30.  I was very happy with it and asked him to paint my panhead oil tank and primary, $100.  Got the parts back and asked him how much for my '03 inner fairing? He said, "Just consider that in the $100."  He's got my sheetmetal for my panhead. He's charging me $200 + paint.  I have seen one top painter here on the site that I'd like to have paint another bike, but I'm just one cheep SOB that can't let loose of the $'s. (Ask Evo1, he's used my pair of leather gloves w/ the finger tip worn out. :hyst:)

-Snuff :beer:
I wish it was just the finger tip. I had to wear the gloves backwards. :hyst:

Jeffd

Quote from: seattledyna on January 15, 2010, 06:40:49 PM
snuff, lol nothin' wrong with being "thrifty":wink:  I really do like to give the HTT guys a good deal, but with the cost of paint and shipping being things I cant control the actual "painting" is the cheapest part of the deal :smileo:, if I have a color in stock a job can be quite affordable, if I have to buy a pint of paint I usually charge for the amount used and the rest gets used down the road on another job.

ya have any extra laying around  :embarrassed:

Big Dan

Inner fairings were invented by the devil.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

dunbarton

Quote from: seattledyna on January 15, 2010, 06:40:49 PM

Seems the inner fairings take a beating cosmetically over time... minor scratches, but mostly fading like all the plastics. Can small imperfections like drilled holes (ie 1/16" dia) be filled/repaired satisfactorily and economically, and if so, what product/material would you use? Of course it would be painted afterwards.
I'm weighing off the option of buying a new inner fairing vs a good/repair and paint. Like Jeffd, shipping charges really add to the replacement option.. in my case about 3x the cost ($120) bantered around here

Tex_Bagger

Had mine painted through the local dealer for $400 and change.  Pricey but I wanted that shiny black!   They did a perfect job, no flaws anywhere.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

dunbarton

Quote from: Tex_Bagger on January 16, 2010, 03:33:31 AM
Had mine painted through the local dealer for $400 and change.  Pricey but I wanted that shiny black!   They did a perfect job, no flaws anywhere.
I presume at that price it wasn't just paint you paid for?
To pull the inner fairing , and reinstall it latter might take 2 hrs plus, and a lot more if you've never done it before... LOL

seattledyna

wow, 400 bucks is steep to paint an inner fairing for sure!

Jeff, yes I do have some dark gray met laying around :wink:

truck

I need to touch up my inner, sun fade on one corner.
What is the rattle can paint that will do that? I remember it was mentioned here before but I can't find it.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

seattledyna

for the black inner fairing there is a spray can paint called "SEM Trim black" you can get it at an auto paint supply store, it has been around a long time and is perfect for low gloss black painted parts, I have even painted classic car tires, floor mats, carpet and interior/exterior trim with it, which is its original pupose

http://www.perfectfit.com/15342/154520/Vinyl--Leather-Paint/SEM-Trim-Black.html

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

ULTRADOG

i pay 150 the shop uses bulldogsealer wich they say is expensive but my 01 still looks good
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

dunbarton

Quote from: ULTRADOG on January 18, 2010, 09:56:15 AM
...... bulldogsealer
What is this? Is it a flat sheen paint for plastics?

ULTRADOG

its a sealer that adheres to plastic so the paint will stay on longer
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

dunbarton

Quote from: ULTRADOG on January 18, 2010, 01:27:47 PM
its a sealer that adheres to plastic so the paint will stay on longer
perhaps like a primer or primer and paint all in one?
I have a few small damages to be repaired in the inner fairing ie drilled holes. Any recommendations to fill the holes? epoxy maybe?

Ken R

When I bought a new inner fairing from Chicago HD, I'm thinking that the shipping was cheap.  Something less than $20 if I remember correctly.  It's very light and the H. W. D. dimensions were less than the max. 

dunbarton

Quote from: Ken R on January 18, 2010, 02:24:10 PM
When I bought a new inner fairing from Chicago HD, I'm thinking that the shipping was cheap.  Something less than $20 if I remember correctly.  It's very light and the H. W. D. dimensions were less than the max.
The new oem fairing and switch cap (FLHTC) quoted at @ $210 less 20% discount making it a pretty enticing proposition for me. Since I'm thinking of painting the bike now anyway, with a few minor repairs I may be better to do the repair. Shipping in the US is much cheaper than in or to Canada once those monkeys at the border get involved.