April 28, 2024, 07:28:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hello

Started by 04customking, January 15, 2010, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

Is anybody out there? I need my Panhead fix. Is everyone on vacation or something?
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

Little Al

I hear ya Jim. I come here every day hoping for some action.

I have been riding my other HD's a bit here & there but the Pan's away for the winter.

Going in for some surgery next wednesday so I'll not be riding at all for about 8 weeks (so they say, i'm thinking more like 3) so even though not PanMiles, I have to get some riding in. Temps here have been 20-2 the past 2 weeks or so with some minor snow. That must sound like spring weather compared to your neck of the woods!

Have faith, 32+ temps are a coming...

Little Al
Little Al

Pynzo

Al- you are one hard mutha- I don't even think of riding until it's warm enough for my beer to sweat!

04customking

Good to hear from you guys. Al, I hope the surgery isn't anything serious and you're back riding soon. I agree with pynzo, this is the time to take apart and fix and clean things. No riding for me with all the salt they put down around here. The freakin roads are just plain white. Hope you make out well, Jim

Little Al

Thanks guys!

Actually, no biggy, siatic (spelling???) nerve makes my left leg go numb. 2 hour surgery but no weight on my left leg for 3 weeks, then 5-8 weeks of physical therapy. needed it done for quite a while but chose the winter to not interfere with riding. I usually ride as long as the temp is over freezing, occasionally riding (toy runs, etc.) even in the single digits, but on my Ultra with heated jacket & gloves, lol

Jim, we don't get much snow here in NYC so no salt around. But if I lived there I'd not wanna ride much with salt getting all over the bike, bad enough I only wash them a few times a year.

to get your juices going, I'm considering, and will start to research over the winter, changing a few things on the '54 FL to make it more closely resemble a period Police model. I have a few really good original pictures of a '54 police taken in 1956 with the officer, it's a father of a guy on another forum. so I'm a thinkin' lol

Thanks for the thoughts
Little Al

Little Al

here are those pics of the '54 Police:

Little Al

Brrrap

Al, I'm hoping for you a speedy recovery! But till then you can join us upstaters awaiting the season! My Pan is undergoing a little upkeep and cosmetics,fresh paint ,new oil tank. Keeps me active while i can't ride. Spring will be here soon,Hang in there guys! Oh and Al, Those pics are really nice!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Little Al

Yeah, they are good pics, too bad he had none of the other side of his father's bike. these pics were taken when his father was working the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1956 but the bike is a '54.

I have the correct (rigid) siren and the Police Special speedo, although it's not the correct year it's the right period. it also doesn't have the needle lock, but it close enough for me. Most of all I need clear cut direction on finishes, forks, cylinders, heads, tins, etc. I know the paint was black & ivory. I also need some info on the police light lenses, flash patterns. well, I guess basically everything! lol
Little Al

CraigArizona85248

Good to hear from everyone!  I've just been riding since this tends to be some of our best riding of the year.  The last 10 days the temps have been in the 70's.  Not much wrenching other then the typical maintenance stuff.  My wife picked up a used Vespa scooter about 3 months ago.  I've been wrenching on that more then my panhead.  It's in great shape but just needed tires and some TLC.  Funny... working on a modern Vespa (2002 model) isn't that different then working on a panhead.  They are very simple mechanical creatures.

Al, wish you the best on your Surgery.  Hope to year you are up and riding again in short order.

-Craig

04customking

Those are nice pics Al. Gives you lots to work with. As I write this I have the heat on in the garage warming it up. I have the front end all together again and I bought a new S&S oil pump. I'm going to work on that and I want to make up new oil lines for it. With the Paughco exhaust, I never liked how close the lines were to the pipes. Basically touching the rear one. I bought some stainless tubing and the 37* flare tool and borrowed a bender from work and will reroute them. The Road King needs it's yearly stripping and cleaning but no real work to it this year.

04customking

Well, I ran out of steam already this morning. I hadn't thought of what was involved in changing the pump. I didn't get too far before seeing that the drive shaft won't come out of the case without lifting the engine so it can clear the brake cross shaft tube. It looks like it might clear with removing the mounts and cocking the engine but that is going to be very close. I look at all that has to be unhooked to even do that and I quit for now. The engine can't move up much at all before the pans hit the frame. If it doesn't clear, well, I don't want to think about it now.

Harpo

King, just to help you (since you nee a "fix") I'm rebuilding a '49 right now that went through the midwest flood in '08.  Quite a project as EVERYTHING is trashed to some degree.

Lil Al, nice pics of the '54 but I notice that it has a STRAIGHT LEG frame!  Every other pic of a '54 that I've ever seen has the wishbone frame.  Must be a VERY late '54 which actually has a '55 frame?  Just goes to show that nothing's cast in concrete.

CraigArizona85248

The heads are '55 also.  Notice in second photo that there is no screw holding the rocker cover right above the spark plug.  The '55 heads were the only year where they used 6 screws to hold the rocker covers to the head instead of 12.  They switched back to 12 screws again the next year.

-Craig

panheaddreamer58

Glad to here someone is still around. Check at least everyday and it sure has been slow. My 50 is wraped up for the cold right now, needing some odd and ends done but I been buiding on my shop and trying to get it done asap. All most there!!  :soda:                  Jim

04customking

I'm going back in......

Little Al

glad to hear some of us are working on some projects. I on the other hand, went out for a 6 hour ride this morning, just got home, on my Ultra but didn't need any heated gear, it's 48 here today and the sun is shinning. I'm so glad a got a nice good "fix" before the surgery.

funny isn't it that those pics are of a 2 year old bike owned by a police department. you'd have thought it would be all factory original. never know though, maybe it did come from the factory that way
Little Al

04customking

I'm back in for awhile. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I was able to unbolt the engine without much disconnecting and gently pryed the engine up 1/4" to get the old shaft out and the new one in. Got the engine all tightened down again and noticed the oil pump gasket they supplied didn't have one of the bolt holes punched out of it. Thought that was strange from S&S. Anyways, time for a break. I think it's football time.
Al, I'm jealous. I'm calling you all kinds of names in my head. :gob: Actually if it wasn't for the salt, I might have gone out too. It's sunny and low 40's here too.

Brrrap

Man ,,I'm Soo excited to quote from the Bruce Palmer III book: (Quote)  "1954:Three different frames this year.Early-1954 frames are"wishbone" with the "wishbone" front downtubes flattened but without any horn mounting blocks. The mid-1954 frames are also "wishbone" but with the "wishbone" front down tubes unflattened and no horn mounts. The mid-1954 frames are similar to the 1948 frames except for the heavier frame seat bar,tank and motor mount bracket and the inverted U-shaped toolbox bracket on the mid-1954 frame.This frame is the last of the factory built "wishbone" frames. The late-1954 frames are "straight leg" frames." (unquote) My Pan runs a "Early 1954 Frame with un-flattened Downtubes with no horn mounting blocks" Merely ask and I"ll give pics. I know there are variences proven but,,, It's reported that there were straight legs in '54. (awww this is ssooo cool!) (Oh , By the way page 35)
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Little Al

sorry to stick it right back at you Jim, but you choose to live in such a cold place! lol

Actually Craig is who we should all be swearing at: middle of January & 70 degrees!!!

anyway, glad you got the pump out.

Brrrap I know exactly how you feel, it gives me a thrill to mention something from "the bible" or something I know unfortunately someone always knows or supplies the info before me. I shouldn't find it strange though, I get most of my knowledge from the guys right here, lol. Congrats anyway, on your quote...
Little Al

Brrrap

04customking

You're right Al, let's be mad at Craig. It's all his fault. That works for me.

twincamzz

Yea, go ahead & rub it in Craig. (Good to hear someone is out riding)  :wink: Finally got over 32* here the last couple of days. No riding lately, but been busy as a bee out in the garage. Got all them pesky brackets & tabs  made / welded back on to hold the gas tanks & pogo seat t -bar, toolbox, rear of oil tank, & highway bar. Also got the top tube drilled out for the speedo cable, just gotta enlarge the hole to 3/4", then finally to 7/8". then the cable will be able to hook up the speedo. Currently also have the tranny out. Repaired the drain plug & installed a new steel insert for the kicker support bolt on right side of tranny. Slowly but surely... one thing at a time.
Good to hear from all you Pan guys.
not all who wander are lost...

Deye76

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 16, 2010, 07:31:46 AM
The heads are '55 also.  Notice in second photo that there is no screw holding the rocker cover right above the spark plug.  The '55 heads were the only year where they used 6 screws to hold the rocker covers to the head instead of 12.  They switched back to 12 screws again the next year.

-Craig
And if you look at the front top fins of the front head and the rear top fins of the rear head in the photo, you know why they went back to 12 screws. :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

04customking

It's nice to have some chatter back on the board. Winter sucks for sure. Twincamzz, you are busy. Good for you. They are a work in progress aren't they? Just when you "think" you're done, you change how you want it to look and start again. Right Al?

Speeding Big Twin

Al, one of my local libraries has a book called Harley-Davidson Police Motorcycles by Robert and Robin Genat so I’ll borrow it and see if it has anything relating to 1954 models.

Craig, I think that 54 police Pan may have very late-1954 heads. Palmer states the first version of the thick D-ring was used for very late-1954 and 1955. But 1955 heads should be O-ring style. The front head appears to be plumber nut style so I assume the rear head is similar. And if the D-rings are the six-hole type then I’d say both heads are very late-1954.     Eric