April 27, 2024, 03:09:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shock oil capacity - Oil change done plus pics!

Started by PoorUB, February 27, 2010, 07:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

February 27, 2010, 07:43:26 AM Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:21:43 PM by PoorUB
Can anyone tell me, or give reference to how much oil to put in the rear shocks on a late model bagger? I have the shocks off and accidentally lost to oil out of one.
I know the info is here somewhere!! :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JohnCA58

I have done a few,  been finding them when drained anywhere from 300 cc to 350 cc,  I have been putting in 15w fork oil with good results and at 325 cc. ,  IIRC that originally they are filled at 350 cc.   I leave a little more room for air to get that cushion ride.
YOLO

PoorUB

Quote from: JohnCA58 on February 27, 2010, 08:28:01 AM
I have done a few,  been finding them when drained anywhere from 300 cc to 350 cc,  I have been putting in 15w fork oil with good results and at 325 cc. ,  IIRC that originally they are filled at 350 cc.   I leave a little more room for air to get that cushion ride.

Thanks for the response. I finally found some info that said 310cc or 10 oz, and up to 12 oz, or about 360 cc. I think I will split the differance and go with 325cc.

Bigs

This might help. I posted this before. These were on a '06 RG.

I read the previous posts on changing the oil in the rear shocks and thought I would give it a try. I wanted to make sure I knew how much oil was in the shocks so I started the see-saw action on the shock to see if I could get out all of the oil. Boy that is a slow process. I put the shock in the vice upside down and hooked up my Mighty Vac with a 1/8” barb fitting in the shock and got out much of the oil quicker which was about 10 oz. total. I put the shock back on the bike upside down with the Mighty Vac bottle still attached to the shock and jumped up and down on the passenger seat until no more oil came out. The total oil was 12 oz. (got that amount out of each shock). The next thing was to fill the shock with 12 oz of 7.5 wt shock oil. I remember that in a post the person said they used a turkey baster. Instead I used my Mighty Vac. Man did it work great. I filled the bottle ¾ full with shock fluid, pulled a vacuum, turned the bottle upside down and released the vacuum. The fluid went into the shock with no problem. Did that until I got the 12 oz. in and replaced the air fitting. I figured if I could use the Mighty Vac to take the oil out I could use it to put oil back in. Worked great and no oil mess.
   Bigs

PoorUB

February 27, 2010, 05:20:56 PM #4 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:24:30 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Bigs on February 27, 2010, 12:45:05 PM
This might help. I posted this before. These were on a '06 RG.

I read the previous posts on changing the oil in the rear shocks and thought I would give it a try. <snip> I figured if I could use the Mighty Vac to take the oil out I could use it to put oil back in. Worked great and no oil mess.
   Bigs

I had saved some info on changing shock oil useing a Mity-Vac, may have been yours. I have one so I tried it, yep, it works great! I ended up with 11 oz of oil, so I put that much back in. I used 10 wt as that was all I could find.
Here is my setup, first my super-duper, high tech, custom made vacuum jug,

[attach=0,msg234285]

Two pieces of 1/4" copper tube, one tube all the way to the bottem, soldered into the lid of a pint canning jar.
Here is a pic of it all in action,

[attach=1,msg234285]

It took darned near as long to whip up the vacuum jar as it did to change to oil!