May 03, 2024, 08:53:14 PM

News:

How many DON"T have "Bagger Wobble" ???

Started by sandrooney, December 06, 2008, 03:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I had an 05 Ultra,and do have an 07 Ultra, and a 95 Road King. I have put about 60,000 miles between the three and have never experienced the wobble everyone is talking about. I had an 80 FLH that developed a wobble,turned out to be the tires.
I was wanting to hear from those who DON'T have this wobble.
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

clarkg1124

I have only owned two FLs-a 2003 RK and my 2008 RG.Neither have had any handling issues.The RG is one of the best-handling motorcycles I have ever owned.
Clark
Wanna buy a possum????

roadglide65

60M on my 04 Roadglide never had a Wobble. Hell I hit a car tire at 65 mph that took out my right bag and passenger foot board and only wiggled a little bit.

I for one am surprised at at the number of complaints that I read about. Guess Ill knock on wood and keep riding mine. 

EagleFTE

I've owned a 94 and an 02 Road King.  No wobbles.  But I only ride 70 to 80 on the interstate with only occasional spurts up to 90 or so.  Also I've heard that it is the bat wing FLHs that wobble.  Not sure if that is true or not.  Anybody have a RK that wobbles?

Big Dan

I'm of the opinion that riders cause most of this problem. At high enough speeds, some bikes get "light" in the front end. Then the rider clamps down on the grips for all he's worth trying to steady it (all this does is make it a lot worse in a big hurry). If they'd just relax (even open their hands so that just their palms are resting lightly on the grips) it'd straighten itself right out.

I also can't help but wonder if the fork baffle isn't a big part of the problem. It's designed to take all the air that passes under the fairing and direct it downwards. If the air is being pushed down, the front end has got to get pushed up.

This is just my opinion.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

quikbike

I hate snow

superglidesport1

I'm fortunate to have never experienced the dreaded bagger wobble. I had an '04 RK and now have an '07 RG and both rock solid at high speeds. I've always used Metzler ME880's on both bikes since new, keeping pressures on the high side @ 48 rear and 42 front.

I just replaced the wheels on my RG with forged 10 spoke with a 160/80B16 on the rear. The very rigid forged wheels with the larger rear contact patch from the 160 makes a huge improvement in handling.

Frank
You're known by the promises you keep. Not the promises you make!

Ed Y

Got a 1999 FLHT with 129,000 miles on it. Never had a high speed wobble on this bike. I have experienced a rear steering problem (loose feeling rear end) now and then when taking curves at a fast rate of speed especially if there is a bump or two. Didn't cause a problem though.

smoserx1

99 FLHT here too with 121000 miles and no wobbles.  Mine has the air baffle on the front forks also.

Riverside Joe

December 06, 2008, 05:31:13 AM #11 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:43:38 AM by Riverside Joe
02 ultra, 65mph freeway sweepers (54 to 805N or 54 to 05S in San Diego) no wobble
86 FXWG, same as above both solid and stable sweeping left or right at speed.
Had an issue with the FX one time and it turned out to be low tire preasure, easy fix-------RJ
RFFR

skyguy59

02 Ultra bought 2 years ago with 9800 miles on it. It has 64000 on it now and never a wobble. Ditto on the ME880's and the pressures. Mostly run 70-80 on the freeway but it has seen 100 a time or two  :wink:

RK101

I've got my RK STD (04) and have never experienced any sort of wobble or tank slapper. I also have laced wheels. My Indy tells me I must have a bike that was build on a Tuesday morning right after coffee break.  :teeth: I can't say I've ever had a factory related problem with the bike. I just replaced the battery that was 5 years old last week and it was still good but it was getting to scary to run it any longer now that winter is here.
Knocking on wood as I type. :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

egstandard

Never had the wobble. 04 FLHT with 45,000 miles.

Fxstchewy

If I have "Bagger Wobble" I don't know it......... :dgust:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

GoFast.....

I put the new klock works windsheid on my flhx and it has taken a lot of it out. The wind pushes the bike up with the fairing causeing it to wobble beacuse the front end gets light. This windsheild is made to push the bike down.
http://kustombaggers.com/products/?id=175
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

PoorUB

44,000 on a '05 Ultra, no problems! One time I had the forks give me a wiggle at 30 MPH, replaced the frint tire and it went away.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ederdelyi

I don't have "it".

Oh, wait a sec. That's 'cuz I don't (and won't) own a bagger. Never mind :>)

x52gnr

2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

frito1

Add me to the no problem list.  65K trouble free with a bunch of 80-85 mph traveling.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

JAFHR

I had an 05 Road King classic and now an 08 Ultra Classic. I got rid of the Road King for a couple of reasons. One being the terrible high speed wobble. I had 18" apes on it and I don't know if it made it worse or better yet I think I just noticed it more. I would only be about 70 and laying it down a bit in a long turn single up and I really noticed it. I did nothing about it because I didn't know better. I sold the bike.

I now have the new Ultra Classic. Totally different riding bike. It's better in many ways but still has a certain amount of diving and wobble. I could only guess that this must be because of being top heavy. I noticed it more when riding 2 up. I will definitely try one of the gadgets. I don't want to buy another bike.

OOPS, sorry I just read the question. Huh, oh well, put this in the one the question of who has Wobble. There will be a lot more respones.
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

crazy joe

I have a 98 RK and a 03 EG both handle good but have felt "loose" at times in a
high speed sweeper, I have taken the same ramp at the same speed with no problems, hit a bump on the ramp and it can feel like it wants to wobble. I think
I'm pushing the bike beyond it limits. I have ran in small groves in the road and
the bike wants to follow them, but my truck does the same thing with ruts on dirt
roads.

GaryD

I've had a 91, 95 and now a 03 Ultra. Never any handling problems. The 91 and 95 had the fork baffle, the 03 doesn't.
I do a lot of high speed interstate riding.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Reddog74usa

I have a 99 RK bought it new in Fall of 98 never a wobble n handels great.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

nedlug

Upswept

I might have it.  Well, here goes.  There is one particular area where I exit a parking lot, cross a street and make a hard left turn.  As soon as I get back upright, I have to make a right turn, so the change from straight to left to right is all one continuous motion.  When I finish all the turns, it feels like I have a flat rear tire.  In fact, I've stopped and checked the tire and found it ok.  After I take off again, all is fine.  This is the only place where it happens, but it happens every time.

As far as the tru-track type of stabilizers, I wonder about the three allen bolts at the rear of the oil pan that the brackets bolt to.  Those three small 3/16" bolts were made to clamp the oil pan to the transmission case, and weren't made to with stand the side pulling force that those tru-tracks produce.  I'm afraid that repeated pulling and pushing will eventually weaken the part of the transmission case that the allen bolts screw into.  Those three bolts could rip out one of those times.  I've sen similar types of problems develop over time on other machinery.  It just takes time.

Justpassingas

Never had any kind handling problems on my 98RK with 70K
For Duty and Humanity

Ghost Rider

I don't think the swingarm stabilizers are for high speed wobble but for stabilizing the rear end in fast turns.

If you are experiencing high speed wobble, try lightening up on your grip. Some who hold the bars with a gorilla-grip induce wobble.

Eglider

I put over 73,000 miles on a 2003 FLHT, and currently have about 3,000 on a 2008 Ultra. Never felt the slightest hint of a wobble from either bike. I must be doing something wrong.   :embarrassed:

Deye76

'04 RG. 45K mi. Never had a wobble until a month ago. Left hand sweper, I-94 & I-69 Port Huron, Mi., 95-100mph.
Possible factors:
Pavement
New stock shocks w/lowering kit installed 9 weeks before this.
Brazilian Metzlers-undersized and a spongy feel, aired properly. Never had it with the German ones.
Left saddle bag 2 rain suits, cover, and tools. Right saddle bag-EMPTY
Too fast? Nah.

I'm thinking combination of pavement (grooved I think, didn't have time to look) and tires. :pop:

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

maineultraclassic

The front end is not what is wobbling when people talk about the bagger wobble, it's the rear end dancing around at high speeds in turns that is the bagger wobble.

I've had it happen a few times when going along at a good speed and taking a corner, and also same situation when hitting cracks in the road. It's an unsettling feeling for sure, nothing that would make me wreck........but it does wake you up for sure.

I just put a Bagger-Brace on the bike...........we'll see how the results are in the spring when I get riding again.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

HarleyFranco

I have an 08 Ultra Classic, 40k miles, no wobble at all.  I did have a wobble and found that the rear tire had developed a bubble, after adjusting the steering bearings and still had the wobble I checked further and found the rear tire, replace the tire and wobble was gone.  Otherwise runs just fine.

Frank

low_rider1979

Never experienced it myself on 00 Road King, 04 and 07 E Glides.  Hope that I never do.
HTT member since 2002

shadetree

i've had a 02 flht, a 05 flhr, and now have a 07 eg classic. no high speed wobble with any of them, but all 3 will have or had the swaying when taking corners and causing the suspension to react. i quess that is normal but i am installing a stabilizer on my 07. i feel it will reduce the swaying and may offer longer wear for any rubber part that is associated with the swaying, including tire wear.

FLTRI

MY 3 BIKES - MY 3 STORIES:

Bike #1 94 FLHTCU
This bike was unstable in high speed turns from day 1. It was exacerbated with undulations, ruts, rain grooves, etc.
After 60k miles I completely rebuilt the chassis with all new pieces.......absolutely no change. High shock air pressure helps but hurts comfort. As it turned out the frame was not within specs between the steering head and the swingarm pivot. Had the frame straightened (steering neck)and presto.....no instability.

Bike #2 98 FLTR-I
This bike has been incredibly stable from driving it off the showroom floor. I can kick the handlebars at speed (Harley's old test for stability) and the bike barely moves and returns to absolute stability immediately. It has over 70K miles without ever giving me an unstable feeling. All these mile on the original mounts, links, and swingarm doughnuts.

Bike #3 03 FLTR-I
This bike also wobbled from day 1.......until the frame was replaced due to a cage trying to kill me. The new frame evidently a good one 'cause this bike is now as stable as the 98RG and the 94ULTRA (straightened frame).

Conclusion:
The frame QC in the past has not been very good, consequently up till recently the purchaser of a new bike gets the luck of the draw. The MOCO has a problem replacing a frame or bike due to high speed (>80mph) instability complaints. Some of the reason is there are inexperienced riders who grip the handlebars for dear life when the bike starts to weave/wobble from pavement irregularities. This as mentioned, is absolutely the wrong tactic and will always lead to more instability.
Hopefully the new frame will have no QC control problems that have plagued the older frames.

As always, JMHO, Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

sandrooney

Sounds like a lot so far don,t have wobble.

Thanks,
SR

skunk

Sandrooney,
     02 ultra, bought as a salvage title. Had left the road and into a ditch( End over end) forks bent, sliders broken, tour pack crushed down and rear of frame bent down, Straightened with porta power, level. angle gauge and some string in the garage(dumb luck, must of got it close). redid the front end. Have run 3 digit speeds  and 90+ one hand on the bar with no wobble. Been riding it 19k, Guess I am also one of the lucky ones.

HIPPO

68 FLH
99 FLHR
02 FLTRI

Many miles, no wobble (other then the ocasional issue traced back to and corrected with tires)

Lew

No bagger wobble...............but I do have bag wobble..........
:hyst:
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

RKDenny

2004 FLHRI, No wobble, no decel popping, no shifter shaft seal leak, 18,000 mile wear out of rear Dunlop, 20,000 trouble free miles on Andrews gear cam upgrade (53,000 total miles), no primary chain or compensator nut problems, no brake rotor squeal, no speedometer drive issues, no need to touch rear drive belt, no stator or voltage regulator problems, seat feels good and handlebars are great right where they are at,  DID ALIENS BUILD THIS BIKE!!!!! !
Denny

Eglider05

December 06, 2008, 07:41:33 PM #41 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:51:46 PM by Eglider05
I've owned an 00 Eglide, 03 Rk and currently ride an 05 Eglide, never had a wobble or any handling issues with any of them I would call out of the ordinary for a Harley bagger, but since I've added a Bagger Brace it tracks like it's on rails through the curves and is much more stable on the freeway at higher speeds. For me it's just like an aftermarket seat, shocks and fork springs, things that aren't needed for many people but things I wouldn't be without.

Rick

Hawg Holler

Two times on my 05 Road King:
1. Blew out three spokes on the rear wheel. Got wobble coming out of turns.
2. Two up, loaded with luggage, going too fast up Merced Canyon to Yosemtie and in a long sweeper hit some pavement that had a dip in it. Bike sunk down into the dip and came up acting kinda squirrelly. Let off the throttle and all was well.

Key causes of wobble: underinflated tires, screwed up spoke wheels, overloaded rear with luggage and/or fat-azzed woman, poor cornering technique, entering the curve too fast.

I rode up Skyline Boulevard in the Santa Cruz Mountains yesterday at a good clip and never had a hint of wobble. 60,000 miles and original shocks.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

2001FLSTC

I ride a Softail and I know that's what I'm used to.  However, I've ridden my buddy's 99 FLHP and his 06 FLHP a lot.....what a difference.  Loosy Goosey cornering......I don't know if it's less rake or bagger wobble or riding on top of the bike instead of in the bike or just the up and down bouncing of the engine.....but it doesn't feel good to me.  I know it's not what I'm used to though.

I find Softails feel "tight"; sort of more mechanical.  I can drag my boards on the ashphalt on any corner and feel secure (okay, the dragging part scares me when it happens).  Touring bikes feel like I'm going to dump them when cornering.

Once the "B" engine was introduced I wonder why H-D didn't rigid mount all the engines.

Just my opinion. 

Hawg Holler

<Once the "B" engine was introduced I wonder why H-D didn't rigid mount all the engines.>

Because the B engine, while it idles smoothly, vibrates a lot at 75 mph compared to the touring bikes. I rented a Heritage Classic and it isn't nearly as comfortable for long periods of touring like the Road King is. Also, the footboards on the Softail scrape  even in  mild turns. The touring bikes, except for the lowered ones and Street Glides, have more lean angle. I got tired of the footboard dragging on the Heritage. I left sparks all up and down the Dragon's Tail. My Road King rarely scrapes the footboards, even two-up. The Softails look great and are OK for around town, but when the going gets long, the touring models with their rubber mounted engines and isolated suspensions are just better at the job.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away

dirtbike_pgr

Weebles wobble ....but not my  06 SG with 27 K... :up:

but id like to throw a leg over one that has  a "gizmo",  installed

to see if im missing something.

The "rides like it on rails" thing

has me wondering if im missing the

complete Harley experience... fun en a lil     but half serious too. :smiled:

DenverBagger

No wobble on '00 FLTRI and '05 FLHRI.

Hmmm ... maybe I can't use this as one of the justifications for an '09...

FLTRI

Holler,
"60,000 miles and original shocks."
You will not believe the difference new shocks make. The degradation is slow so it is hard to know when the shocks are worn out, but when you install a new set you will.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

sandrooney

2001FLSTC,
I got an 07 Heritage Softail as a loaner, and my 80/80 shovelhead was smoother. I guessed with pipes,ac,sert, and a good tune it might smooth out some. I didn't notice it handling any better, but it was hard to get past the vibration.

FLTRI is right, I changed my shocks after 30,000 and it was a world of difference.
SR

08blackstreetglide

I have an 08 street glide. The only wobble I have ever noticed was passing semi's on the interstate. Then the front end seems pretty shaky. I just figured that was the way they all were. Anybody else experiencing this?

RoadKingTrooper

2KRK, only wobbled this past summer. New front tire remedied it. Was it the tire? Well I only got about 5,000 miles out of it and yeah, it was a Dunlop
Scot

metaliser

I have over 30,000 miles on my EGS and have never incountered a wobble but swaying that's another story, I think alot of riders are confusing the swaying or the rear steer for whats called wobble, this has happened several times to me especialy in some tight twistys, I am thinking of buying one of the products out there and seeing if it helps, it sorta puts a little fear in you when you lean hard into a turn and all off the sudden the rear feels like it's wanting to turn more, any way TJMO.  :smile:

2001FLSTC

Quote from: Hawg Holler on December 06, 2008, 10:41:08 PM
<Once the "B" engine was introduced I wonder why H-D didn't rigid mount all the engines.>

Because the B engine, while it idles smoothly, vibrates a lot at 75 mph compared to the touring bikes. I rented a Heritage Classic and it isn't nearly as comfortable for long periods of touring like the Road King is. Also, the footboards on the Softail scrape  even in  mild turns. The touring bikes, except for the lowered ones and Street Glides, have more lean angle. I got tired of the footboard dragging on the Heritage. I left sparks all up and down the Dragon's Tail. My Road King rarely scrapes the footboards, even two-up. The Softails look great and are OK for around town, but when the going gets long, the touring models with their rubber mounted engines and isolated suspensions are just better at the job.

I do agree with you on this.  For a long haul a touring bike is the way to go.  Probably if I rode a RK regulary I'd get used to it.   

Alien

Of all that said no wobble how agressively do you drive?

My 2000 FLTRSEI has experienced it a few times only. I was hauling a$$ on the way to Sturgis doing about 100 on slow sweeping tuns and got the wobble. I relaxed, slowed down and it went away. When I would speed up on the same or similar turns it would return (good pucker factor). IMHO a steering/fork brace would eliminate this but you cant (easily) add one to a bagger. I believe when going around corners at speed the weight/force on the sidewall actually bends the front axle slightly (would not happen with a fork brace) causing forces that cause thw wobble??!!

Remember the high school science experiment when you held a bicycle wheel by the axle and sombody spun it fast and you tried to move/turn it? This is the force that I think is happening as the front axle bends a little? A 700 pound bike with a close to 300 pound rider cornering at high speed??

Mark

johnflhx

i have 2008 flhx- took a trip to high speed calif and back thru nevada then up to washington and no wobble
old lady on back and loaded down

HIPPO

Alien,
IMO the RoadGlide's, especially the old ones before they tilted the fairing, get really light in the front end around 105 or so with no wind. I guess the exact speed depends a little on wind and rider weight. When the wind is at your back you can fly and it stays stable.
All you can do is slow down when you feel it, but it is clearly a light front end and not a wobble.

Faast Ed

I had a tire swap solve a high speed wobble before.  A one year old front tire that came on the bike,....  had dry rot cracks all over it going into the second season.

Never thought to try and warranty it, ended up with a brand change to match the rear that was worn enough for change.
≡Faast Ed>

Alien

Quote from: HIPPO on December 07, 2008, 12:16:49 PM
Alien,
IMO the RoadGlide's, especially the old ones before they tilted the fairing, get really light in the front end around 105 or so with no wind. I guess the exact speed depends a little on wind and rider weight. When the wind is at your back you can fly and it stays stable.
All you can do is slow down when you feel it, but it is clearly a light front end and not a wobble.

I certainly had a side to side occilation (sp). I've had a few tank slappers in the past and this wasn't that bad but it sure felt like a wobble to me??

HIPPO

You have to go with what you think it is.
Mostly mention it because once you get over 100 or so with these, or if there is a lot of wind sometimes much less, there are really significant aero influences.

Deye76

If I'm in a straight line with my Roadglide, I can bury the speedo and it's very stable, where my 93FLHclassic would sway a bit at 90mph, but not all the time. When I removed the standard tour pac it went away. My RG has the chopped tour pac and it seems to be fine. Except for the time mentioned a couple posts back.

Seems like as many that have experienced wobble/sway, there is as many that have not. From what I've seen in drawings of the '09 frame/swingarm arrangement, there is hope this will become a non-issue. Usual disclaimer=no expert.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Advntr

if it's not wobbling in a high speed turn you are not going fast enough...I am not kidding, they all wobble if pushed hard enough thru a sweeping turn.  My 07 Ultra wobbled less and then i put in the alloy art stabilizer and what a difference in the bike.  Dealer mechanic rode it and he noticed the difference.

There are two types of wobble-the one the moco gives you at no extra charge and one that gets created by a combination of the following-worn swingarm bushings, cracked swingarm, worn tires, old fork oil, underinflated tires, loose steering head.

jvcazcm

Well,

It is very hard for me to believe there aren't very many people actually saying they had a wobble.  I have owned 2 Road Kings 00, and 05, both wobbled.  Then I bought the newest and greatest bike 07 FLHX yes it wobbled.  All of the bikes were always with good tires and cast wheels mostly because I changed them out because of the wobbles.  The cast wheels sure helped.  The last one the 07 FLHX was better then the others, however they all were pretty crappy in high speed sweepers around northern CA you know by Shasta Lake area and further north.  I have ridden my 09 Ultra in the same conditions it is stable as a rock, had it up to 110 the other day and it didn't wonder at all very steady.  Yes I shouldn't go that fast, and don't normally go that fast.  Now going through sweepers at 80 - 85 doesn't seem like that is that fast to me in the area I mentioned.   Well on the other bikes it was 70 - 75 at best because of the handling.  The 09 80 -85 is very steady and has no settling issues where it springs back and causes the back end to follow the front.   Riding the 09 makes me think the Mo-Co absolutely knows the design is flawed, well maybe not flawed just needed updated.  I bought the 09 after riding it and beating the hell out of the demo and could not make it get un stable.  Even trying to induce a wobble it won't.

jvc

Hawg Holler

Quote from: FLTRI on December 07, 2008, 12:50:13 AM
Holler,
You will not believe the difference new shocks make. The degradation is slow so it is hard to know when the shocks are worn out, but when you install a new set you will.
Bob

I'll have to give it a try. I thought about buying some take-offs but worry that the person who took them off will let the oil leak out. I'll probably spring for some new ones next summer.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away

Hawg Holler

Quote from: Advntr on December 07, 2008, 05:32:33 PM

if it's not wobbling in a high speed turn you are not going fast enough...I am not kidding, they all wobble if pushed hard enough thru a sweeping turn. 
Well, I guess this says it all. Even an Agusta will wobble if you take it through a turn at 180 mph. Maybe some of us should slow down so we don't become one of those statistics put out every year that lists most motorcycle fatalities are caused by riders and involve no other vehicles. These heavy Harley baggers aren't sport bikes, they have way too much weight on the rear wheel when loaded with luggage and riders and they aren't designed for high speed cornering. I've ridden the 09s and they are much better due to the stronger frame, but any bike will begin to get weird if pushed into a corner at speeds beyond its design limits.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away

sandrooney

Ed Y

Quote from: Hawg Holler on December 07, 2008, 09:19:03 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on December 07, 2008, 12:50:13 AM
Holler,
Bob

I'll have to give it a try. I thought about buying some take-offs but worry that the person who took them off will let the oil leak out. I'll probably spring for some new ones next summer.

Hawg Holler,

The Vtwin forum also has a good thread and pictures from a guy over there that drained and refilled his stock dresser shocks. Works great, according to him and other's that have tried it. I haven't though.

Riverside Joe

Dragging pegs, pipes or boards is as fast as my rides can go. At 155 pounds, hanging off the seat in corners don't work for me on a 700+ bike. But it's got to look funny if your following me--------RJ
RFFR

SuperMario

Bagger wobble?  huh?   

Remember the kid's toys?........"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!"        :teeth:

IBARider

I never do... unless I'm doing 95 mph in a sweeper turn... then every one I've been on does it...
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

HDFAT2001

No wobble here either.  2004 EGC with 40K on the clock running Metz 880's on 18's.

02roadcling

None here.'02 Road King, lowered. SE oil in front forks.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Boris

I have never had anything close to a tank slapper on the 00 Ultra, but the rear end sure is loose compaired to the S/O's 03 RK. My Ultra has 67,000 on it her RK has 13,000. Going to redo the swing arm parts with new parts and put on a TWR stabilizer over winter.

Dennis The Menace

07 FLHRS...wobble at 40MPH in front end.  Dealer found low fork oil in one leg, down 3 oz.  Hairy when it happens in front end.

07 FLTR  no wobble. 

Menace

Alien

Quote from: HIPPO on December 07, 2008, 04:28:37 PM
You have to go with what you think it is.
Mostly mention it because once you get over 100 or so with these, or if there is a lot of wind sometimes much less, there are really significant aero influences.

No problem I have a lot of respect for you and was not arguing, just stating my opinion. I wish I could install a fork brace and then maybe prove or disprove my theory.

HIPPO

I wasn't arguing either.
We all (mostly) got lots of time on these bikes and have to pursue the direction we feel the issue is in.

When I had the 99 it most definitely felt more "flexy" then the 02 with the bigger swing arm, but in some high speed conditions even the old RK was less affected by air. The RG is definitely more stable in high wind, but it is a bike with a lot of sail area and in other conditions the wind can do a number of them.
I guess even with the same bike every day is a little different.

Maybe the secret of having no wobble issues with them (other then having the bike in as new mechanical condition) is to be able to listen to the bike when she is telling you something and back it down. Who knows?

Out west it's pretty wide open and average speeds tend to be higher, and it often is very windy in the desert. Maybe that's why air is so important here when trying to push these bricks through the air.

Slarsonroy

I have never experienced wobble on my '07 Ultra.  I HAVE however, experienced high speed wobble on my 72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado with Wixom fairing and hard bags. This "phenomenom" has been discussed at length on Guzzi forums and here is the gist of it. Those saddlebags are aerodynamically shaped, unintentionally I believe, like aircraft wings. At about 65 mph on a long sweeping corner, the air flow seems to be just enough to start lifting the rear of the bike, on one or both sides, enough to experience wobble. While reading numerous posts on this, and noticing that the Ultra bags are shaped similar to the Guzzi Wixom bags, I just felt compelled to throw this into the mix.  High speed wobble is a freaky sensation and makes you roll off the throttle while leaned over in a corner, which in turn freaks out the passenger because she doesnt know whats going on.
2012 Electraglide
1979 FXEF,1953 FLEF

fatboy98nebr

'06 Electra Glide Classic...11k miles, bought it used..only wobble was when I first rode it. I thought the front tire was going to fall off. Bought it anyway, got it home, checked the front tire pressure..it was 19lbs. inflated it to 40lbs and wobble is gone...

86fxwg

06 flhx straight as an arrow to 100mph im scared after that.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

shoveled71

Never felt a wobble on my 06 StreetGlide, but used to always get wobbles on my 71 Shovel on the way home from barhopping, mysteriously quit when I stay out of the bars, maybe thats the wobble problem some of yall are having.  Spike
100%  pure obnoxious harley ridin white trash

Boris

Quote from: shoveled71 on December 08, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
Never felt a wobble on my 06 StreetGlide, but used to always get wobbles on my 71 Shovel on the way home from barhopping, mysteriously quit when I stay out of the bars, maybe thats the wobble problem some of yall are having.  Spike

I don't think so!

bighog

2003 FLHT with close to 50,000 miles and never had a wobble worth remembering- except for the occasional rain grooves cut in the off ramps.

chaos901

I have an '02 EG with 56K and an '07 Ultra with 46K and never had the wobble.  The '07 has been above 100 a few times, often above 90. 

Have you ever noticed when you see the road racers with a "tank slapper" that once the rider gets ejected the bike straightens out and continues on until it hits something.     
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Flat Dog

December 09, 2008, 06:29:04 AM #82 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:37:24 AM by Photo John
I only notice 'wobble' in the form of batwing fairing induced turbulence at 100 or so. Also, I don't try to ride a big fat geezer glide like a crotch rocket in corners.

low n slow

Got 10,000 miles on 07 FLHX and never a wobble. Listened to some of my riding partners who told me they have seen it happen to them though. Maybe some of the guys who have had it happen to them never rode some of the "classic" iron to see what a thrill it could be at times. After getting off an '80 Super Glide to the new ride, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. JMHO

twinpipesnd

2001 rk 95inch HQheads  39G cams HQ igniton cv44 35000 mi. 117 mph no wabbles  been there many times..3inches off standard windshield dont know if that helps or not.. super smooth at any speed..

twinpipesnd

Quote from: low n slow on December 09, 2008, 08:49:19 AM
Got 10,000 miles on 07 FLHX and never a wobble. Listened to some of my riding partners who told me they have seen it happen to them though. Maybe some of the guys who have had it happen to them never rode some of the "classic" iron to see what a thrill it could be at times. After getting off an '80 Super Glide to the new ride, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. JMHO

sandrooney

VERY interesting!!!
Thanks for the replys,
SR