May 03, 2024, 01:15:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How many DON"T have "Bagger Wobble" ???

Started by sandrooney, December 06, 2008, 03:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I had an 05 Ultra,and do have an 07 Ultra, and a 95 Road King. I have put about 60,000 miles between the three and have never experienced the wobble everyone is talking about. I had an 80 FLH that developed a wobble,turned out to be the tires.
I was wanting to hear from those who DON'T have this wobble.
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

clarkg1124

I have only owned two FLs-a 2003 RK and my 2008 RG.Neither have had any handling issues.The RG is one of the best-handling motorcycles I have ever owned.
Clark
Wanna buy a possum????

roadglide65

60M on my 04 Roadglide never had a Wobble. Hell I hit a car tire at 65 mph that took out my right bag and passenger foot board and only wiggled a little bit.

I for one am surprised at at the number of complaints that I read about. Guess Ill knock on wood and keep riding mine. 

EagleFTE

I've owned a 94 and an 02 Road King.  No wobbles.  But I only ride 70 to 80 on the interstate with only occasional spurts up to 90 or so.  Also I've heard that it is the bat wing FLHs that wobble.  Not sure if that is true or not.  Anybody have a RK that wobbles?

Big Dan

I'm of the opinion that riders cause most of this problem. At high enough speeds, some bikes get "light" in the front end. Then the rider clamps down on the grips for all he's worth trying to steady it (all this does is make it a lot worse in a big hurry). If they'd just relax (even open their hands so that just their palms are resting lightly on the grips) it'd straighten itself right out.

I also can't help but wonder if the fork baffle isn't a big part of the problem. It's designed to take all the air that passes under the fairing and direct it downwards. If the air is being pushed down, the front end has got to get pushed up.

This is just my opinion.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

quikbike

I hate snow

superglidesport1

I'm fortunate to have never experienced the dreaded bagger wobble. I had an '04 RK and now have an '07 RG and both rock solid at high speeds. I've always used Metzler ME880's on both bikes since new, keeping pressures on the high side @ 48 rear and 42 front.

I just replaced the wheels on my RG with forged 10 spoke with a 160/80B16 on the rear. The very rigid forged wheels with the larger rear contact patch from the 160 makes a huge improvement in handling.

Frank
You're known by the promises you keep. Not the promises you make!

Ed Y

Got a 1999 FLHT with 129,000 miles on it. Never had a high speed wobble on this bike. I have experienced a rear steering problem (loose feeling rear end) now and then when taking curves at a fast rate of speed especially if there is a bump or two. Didn't cause a problem though.

smoserx1

99 FLHT here too with 121000 miles and no wobbles.  Mine has the air baffle on the front forks also.

Riverside Joe

December 06, 2008, 05:31:13 AM #11 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:43:38 AM by Riverside Joe
02 ultra, 65mph freeway sweepers (54 to 805N or 54 to 05S in San Diego) no wobble
86 FXWG, same as above both solid and stable sweeping left or right at speed.
Had an issue with the FX one time and it turned out to be low tire preasure, easy fix-------RJ
RFFR

skyguy59

02 Ultra bought 2 years ago with 9800 miles on it. It has 64000 on it now and never a wobble. Ditto on the ME880's and the pressures. Mostly run 70-80 on the freeway but it has seen 100 a time or two  :wink:

RK101

I've got my RK STD (04) and have never experienced any sort of wobble or tank slapper. I also have laced wheels. My Indy tells me I must have a bike that was build on a Tuesday morning right after coffee break.  :teeth: I can't say I've ever had a factory related problem with the bike. I just replaced the battery that was 5 years old last week and it was still good but it was getting to scary to run it any longer now that winter is here.
Knocking on wood as I type. :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

egstandard

Never had the wobble. 04 FLHT with 45,000 miles.

Fxstchewy

If I have "Bagger Wobble" I don't know it......... :dgust:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

GoFast.....

I put the new klock works windsheid on my flhx and it has taken a lot of it out. The wind pushes the bike up with the fairing causeing it to wobble beacuse the front end gets light. This windsheild is made to push the bike down.
http://kustombaggers.com/products/?id=175
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

PoorUB

44,000 on a '05 Ultra, no problems! One time I had the forks give me a wiggle at 30 MPH, replaced the frint tire and it went away.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ederdelyi

I don't have "it".

Oh, wait a sec. That's 'cuz I don't (and won't) own a bagger. Never mind :>)

x52gnr

2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

frito1

Add me to the no problem list.  65K trouble free with a bunch of 80-85 mph traveling.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

JAFHR

I had an 05 Road King classic and now an 08 Ultra Classic. I got rid of the Road King for a couple of reasons. One being the terrible high speed wobble. I had 18" apes on it and I don't know if it made it worse or better yet I think I just noticed it more. I would only be about 70 and laying it down a bit in a long turn single up and I really noticed it. I did nothing about it because I didn't know better. I sold the bike.

I now have the new Ultra Classic. Totally different riding bike. It's better in many ways but still has a certain amount of diving and wobble. I could only guess that this must be because of being top heavy. I noticed it more when riding 2 up. I will definitely try one of the gadgets. I don't want to buy another bike.

OOPS, sorry I just read the question. Huh, oh well, put this in the one the question of who has Wobble. There will be a lot more respones.
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

crazy joe

I have a 98 RK and a 03 EG both handle good but have felt "loose" at times in a
high speed sweeper, I have taken the same ramp at the same speed with no problems, hit a bump on the ramp and it can feel like it wants to wobble. I think
I'm pushing the bike beyond it limits. I have ran in small groves in the road and
the bike wants to follow them, but my truck does the same thing with ruts on dirt
roads.

GaryD

I've had a 91, 95 and now a 03 Ultra. Never any handling problems. The 91 and 95 had the fork baffle, the 03 doesn't.
I do a lot of high speed interstate riding.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Reddog74usa

I have a 99 RK bought it new in Fall of 98 never a wobble n handels great.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT