December 2008 Gunny's Sack

Started by texaskatfish, December 12, 2008, 05:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskatfish

OOOOPS! I missed one! Here's December's issue folks:

From the

GUNNY'S SACK

The Biker Trademark War
I just returned home from the Region I conference of the National Coalition of Motorcyclists, NCOM, in Sacramento, CA. Richard M. Lester, NCOM and AIM founder, and AIM lawyers Marty Fox and Sam Hochberg took part in the discussion. As many know, the Feds invoked the RICO Act against a motorcycle club in California that has chapters in several states. This part is a FIRST: The prosecutors also went to court and got an injunction, permitting Federal seizure of the club's trademark of their logo, and any items with that logo on it, upon presentation of the order. If the government prevails in the RICO charges, then these items could be lost in civil forfeiture. This is very disturbing to many of us, patch holders and otherwise. NCOM has created the Trademark Defense Fund, to hire civil rights lawyers to file a “friend of the court” brief on this, since the outcome has consequences for all motorcyclists. Please be well aware of circumstances around your own organizations and stay close to your local Confederation of Clubs. This situation is deadly poisonous and you can be sure NCOM will be closely watching it. The Oregon COC has donated significantly, as has ABATE of Oregon and Oregon’s Washington County chapter of ABATE. Washington State ABATE's SW chapter donated as well. I challenge all Clubs, COC’s, and MRO’s to step up to the plate. If you value the ability to ride with a logo on your back or if you associate with those who do, NOW is the time to act.

DEFENDING FREEDOM: Another great development at the NCOM Regional is the expansion of the TEXAS DEFENDERS idea, which is becoming the U.S. DEFENDERS program. This will be directed by the various Confederations around the country, but with the help of clubs and MRO's. It puts responsibility on all of us to do the right thing. In some ways, it's very much like a phone tree but far more effective. Get involved in this one and we as a community will reap great results in our favor. It shakes up society when we play by their rules and they are powerless to stop us. It’s a real good feeling, I’m tellin ya. More on this to come.
NCOM'S ACTIVITES are funded by the AIM (Aid to Injured Motorcyclists) lawyers, the ones who ride. Gone down hard, car or bike? Talk to the experts. Info is always free, at 1-800-On-A-Bike. Check us out online too, at www.AIMNCOM.com Nuff' said.

AUSTRALIA: The source for this online scam for 'antique Harley' was rusty parts. A Victorian man who falsely sold antique motorcycles online to overseas buyers and then sent a crate of rusty metal has walked free from court after receiving a suspended sentence, community service and restitution of the money he took. He should count himself lucky. In my mind he belongs in JAIL and receiving instruction from folks who don’t care for bikers being scammed.

GONZALES, TEXAS: A motorcycle rally was curtailed drastically by the city’s police here. Folks attempting to enter the rally site wearing club colors were turned away because they refused to leave their colors at the gate. The first “Gonzales Thunder Rally” wound up showing a huge loss because of the draconian activity of the police, who claimed the no-colors policy was instituted because of the possibility of problems between clubs. Thousands were expected but when the NO COLORS word went out, it virtually stopped attendance in its tracks. The promoters said if they tried it again the rally would be held outside city limits to avoid the problem. To me, this is police gangsterism.

NEW YORK: Picketing their knows: On October 21st, American Bikers Aimed Toward Education (ABATE of New York, Inc.) picketed the New York Highway Safety Conference at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, where the NY State Police presented their Motorcycle Safety Roadblock Scenario to more than 350 professionals from government and private agencies involved in reducing death and injuries on the road. ABATE obtained an all-day public assembly permit for an informational picket and protest outside of the Conference Center. It was hoped that media exposure would bring to the forefront the absurdity of the roadblocks. Funds that had been dedicated to motorcycle safety were being used for these roadblocks, to harass motorcyclists, rather than being used for education of riders and the public. For the full Press Release, go to their website, http://www.abateny.org. .

UNITED KINGDOM: Here is not the brightest bulb on the British porch: A young biker here was brought down by the Internet and his own ego. He posted a video he made on YouTube, showing him speeding and doing stunts on his motorcycle. The police used this, of course, to convict him. Sandor Ferenci, 28, will be sentenced at Oxford Crown Court for three offenses of dangerous driving, according to local police.

DALLAS, TEXAS: Your Digital Papers, please! The “Tracking Corp” has announced the marketing of a GPS device for motorcycles. It's said to be the next best thing for bikers since anti-lock braking systems. I swear by the ABS brakes for scoots. On slick roads and sudden stops, it’s right on. I’m not so sure about GPS. It will track your location, just like ON-STAR devices in cars. You folks make up your own minds. GPS might be a good thing if you have a single vehicle wreck in the middle of nowhere at night. It’s available on most new rides through dealerships across the country. Then again, newer cell phones already have some of that technology.

OREGON: Near Portland, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue is attempting to convince folks that using motorcycles in the Fire Department is a good idea. Obviously, ya can’t fight fire on a scooter but you can get medical aid to someone in need much faster. They have initiated a levy to test the idea out. Hope they get it. It IS A GOOD IDEA, and being done successfully outside the US.

AUSTRALIA: NSW Deploys “Noise Cameras!” (!??!!??!!) This one could effect every vehicle on the road in New South Wales, and other State governments across Australia are poised to deploy automated cameras that mail tickets to vehicles considered by a machine to be too noisy. If ya think it can’t happen here, think again. Many of the “GANG” laws we are dealing with right now come from other countries.

WASHINGTON: State Troopers here are stepping up enforcement against bikers, looking at speed, DUI, aggressive riding and failure to wear an 'approved' helmet. Bikers are also required to have the proper endorsement on their driver's licenses or face having their bikes towed to an impound lot. Keep your eyes open and in WA, don’t take your helmet off unless you are UNDER ARREST. By law you should not have to. But don't go to jail on this Gunny's account!
Keep the round side on the bottom.
Gunny, Oregon AIM Chief Of Staff
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/